Never dabbled with Dahua IVS "Abandoned Object" or "Missing Object" or "Loitering Detection". Any papers on these options?

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing #2 Driveway, Left and #3 Driveway, Right (already have #1 Driveway Center) Dahua 5442 varifocals. So that makes 3 of the 5442's covering my 2 car wide 50' long driveway. Why 3 cameras? To catch all angles. When I had a single camera (center) operational during a security event, I could not see clearly what was happening to the left or right side of any vehicles that would be there.
While setting up the IVS tripwires and intrusion zones... the drop down selection menu also has abandoned object, missing object, and loitering detection. I've never messed around with these settings. Knowing Dahua caters to government sized entities and not much for home users... would any of these 3 options be viable? I am thinking of "missing object" for a vehicle that parks dead center. An alert if someone steals it, or even something cool like "when the white truck is not there, swap to Blue Iris profile 7" for Home Assistant purposes. Loitering: I mean...with my past security events, for 1 instance the person did loiter for a couple minutes before approaching my front door. Unsure if "Loitering Detection" would apply in a home security environment.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I played with it and it was hit or miss. I did missing object on a 2 foot statue in the garden and different light conditions like clouds or at night was triggering it way more than I like.

But then in another field of view it worked well with an Amazon package being there or not.

Basically, in some field of view and applications it can work well and in other instances not so well. Just like most every other feature LOL.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The only time I reckon "missing object" is worthy is for a camera which can see packages at your front door.

But the problem is that it is delayed....
Someone could steal that package and 10s is when the event would trigger.

A combination of IVS intrusion/trip and the loitering might be worthwhile for around a car....

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried using abandoned object and missing object but couldn't ever get them to work well in the view that I had. I could toss something out into the area... nothing. Go pick it up and cause it to be missing... nothing. Once in a great while it would work but generally not. But try it. Maybe you'll have better luck. Could be useful if you could get it to work.

Reaction score
I tried using abandoned object and missing object but couldn't ever get them to work well in the view that I had. I could toss something out into the area... nothing. Go pick it up and cause it to be missing... nothing. Once in a great while it would work but generally not. But try it. Maybe you'll have better luck. Could be useful if you could get it to work.
what camera model were you using?
I'll be testing it on my white truck over the next week.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Color4K-X. Someone said that they had good luck picking up wildlife with the abandoned object so was trying that.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I think missing object is more for indoor use. As I understand it, it's there to track oibjects being removed from a room, so it probably has less tolerance for lighting conditions because of that - rooms tend to be m,ore consistently lit and not suffer shadows to the same extent as outdoors.

Can't see why loitering wouldn't work. It's effectively object addition although unles used with deepstack, I can see it triggering false alerts when your car is added after a journey. Obvsiouly I prsume with DS you'd be able to set alerts for people or bicycles only.