Network Switch Loop

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want the following out of my network setup and I want to know what you recommend:

-RDP access from my Laptop (regular) subnet
-Blue Iris server accessible over OpenVPN hosted by my router
-Blue Iris connected to separate camera network that has no internet access

How are you accomplishing this?

I’ll post more details in a reply.

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 4th post on this thread is very similar to what I have done.
Blue Iris Network Diagram (link fixed)

I run OpenVPN on a pfsense router (similar to this with a Celeron, 60GB SSD and 8GB RAM Qotom pfsense) and can connect from anywhere on my phone and laptop.
I just got back home in Illinois from being in Georgia for a week and it was a nice feeling being able to remote in and view my cameras when there were hailstorms at home (I didn't even connect to the BI server except to load the UI3 interface in my browser.)
I use a DLink switch.
Any computer/device on my PC/WiFi subnet can access the BI server via RDP and view the UI3 page.
None of my cameras can access the internet.
It is more than the average home user, but really is a fairly simple setup.

atothek

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 4th post on this thread is very similar to what I have done.
Blue Iris Network Diagram (link fixed)

I run OpenVPN on a pfsense router (similar to this with a Celeron, 60GB SSD and 8GB RAM Qotom pfsense) and can connect from anywhere on my phone and laptop.
I just got back home in Illinois from being in Georgia for a week and it was a nice feeling being able to remote in and view my cameras when there were hailstorms at home (I didn't even connect to the BI server except to load the UI3 interface in my browser.)
I use a DLink switch.
Any computer/device on my PC/WiFi subnet can access the BI server via RDP and view the UI3 page.
None of my cameras can access the internet.
It is more than the average home user, but really is a fairly simple setup.
Thanks, @Edcfish ! I’ll check it out. I have 2 TP-Link switches. My set up is relatively similar and I have Qotom also. And I’m in Georgia. Hope you enjoyed it here while you were in town. Hot as hell right now is the only problem.

Does your BlueIris box have 2 IPs? Did you do port level VLAN or VLAN tagging?

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, one IP for each NIC.

Port level VLAN.

....I did have a good time in Georgia. It was a dual purpose family trip. Our oldest was interviewing for a residency program. We were about 30 minutes NE of Atlanta and other than drive I didn't do anything stressful or even touristy. To make it even better, it was cooler in Georgia than in Illinois while we were there, which just means ugly hot instead of brutally ugly hot.