Network layout for first timer

Dhanson

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, i am considering my first camera system and think i understand the cameras I want from Andy along with understanding the PC requirements for BI and POE switch. What I am still confused on is the setup of the network layout.

I currently have comcast internet, into comcast owned modem, which feeds my netgear router/wifi. This serves me well for my main computer usage connected directly via Ethernet and all my other wifi devices.

My question is, do I run the new BI dedicated computer off of one my open network jacks on my existing Netgear router? Or am I better off putting a switch between the comcast modem and the netgear router and new BI computer?

so one would look like:

cable modem -> router - -> Hard wired Home PC
------------------------- - ->WIFI
------------------------- - ->BI Computer -> 8 Port POE Switch -> Cameras

the other would like:
cable modem -> Switch --> router - >Home PC/WIFI
--------------------------- --> BI Computer --> POE Switch -- Cameras

Is there an advantage to either setup?

Thanks

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, i am considering my first camera system and think i understand the cameras I want from Andy along with understanding the PC requirements for BI and POE switch. What I am still confused on is the setup of the network layout.

I currently have comcast internet, into comcast owned modem, which feeds my netgear router/wifi. This serves me well for my main computer usage connected directly via Ethernet and all my other wifi devices.

My question is, do I run the new BI dedicated computer off of one my open network jacks on my existing Netgear router? Or am I better off putting a switch between the comcast modem and the netgear router and new BI computer?

so one would look like:

cable modem -> router - -> Hard wired Home PC
------------------------- - ->WIFI
------------------------- - ->BI Computer -> 8 Port POE Switch -> Cameras

the other would like:
cable modem -> Switch --> router - >Home PC/WIFI
--------------------------- --> BI Computer --> POE Switch -- Cameras

Is there an advantage to either setup?

Thanks
The first option is what you need. Second option will not work as you need a something to do your routing and the modem won't do that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't connect anything to the cable modem except your netgear router. You want everything connecting through your netgear router.

Also find the UPnP (universal plug and play) feature in your router and turn it off. That so-called "feature" is responsible for a ridiculous number of hacked cameras because it lets any device on your network expose itself to the internet without your knowledge.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick feedback - appreciate the information!
to clarify, you are better off connecting the blue iris pc to the same switch as the cameras then running one port of the switch to the router... this way nothing passes through the router unless you are remote viewing and even then its small amounts of data...the switch must be placed after the router as others have noted...

Dhanson

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification, as I was thinking I would need a computer with two network ports, so if I understand your statement in a visual format, and 8-port would look like this:

8 Port POE Switch (N - PC - C - C - C - C - OP - OP)

N = Network Cable from main Router (Cat 5 or 6) to POE 8-port switch
PC = BI Computer
C = Camera
OP = Open jack for future camera expansion or additional switch, etc

Thanks

Princeau99

n3wb
Reaction score
to clarify, you are better off connecting the blue iris pc to the same switch as the cameras then running one port of the switch to the router... this way nothing passes through the router unless you are remote viewing and even then its small amounts of data...the switch must be placed after the router as others have noted...
I apologize if this is thread hijacking, but I have a similar question as the original op.
I was considering connecting the 8 Port POE Switch to the network connection on back of PC for the cameras, then using BI as a server through wifi to router.
Would this work and what would be the down sides?
Thanks for this web site . I think I learn something every day here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is thread hijacking, but I have a similar question as the original op.
I was considering connecting the 8 Port POE Switch to the network connection on back of PC for the cameras, then using BI as a server through wifi to router.
Would this work and what would be the down sides?
Thanks for this web site . I think I learn something every day here.
you dont want to use wifi...just run a cable from the switch to the router as above...

rjsimons

n3wb
Reaction score
Another hijack here... Given the setup as @fenderman outlined above, would there be any down side to connecting other network devices to the same POE switch as the cameras and BI PC? For instance could I connect a smart TV and perhaps even an access point to unused ports on the camera POE Switch -- assuming it's a gigabit switch? Also, am I correct that an access point can be connected to a switch and not have to be connected directly to the router?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No harm at all connecting lots of stuff to a gigabit switch. If only a 100 Mbps switch then you could run into bandwidth issues.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, am I correct that an access point can be connected to a switch and not have to be connected directly to the router?
Yeah, home routers just have built-in switches basically. In some cases the router's ports actually demand some of its CPU time so it is often better to connect to a real switch.

rjsimons

n3wb
Reaction score
No harm at all connecting lots of stuff to a gigabit switch. If only a 100 Mbps switch then you could run into bandwidth issues.
Yeah, home routers just have built-in switches basically. In some cases the router's ports actually demand some of its CPU time so it is often better to connect to a real switch.
Thanks... That's what I thought. I know just enough about networking to get in to trouble, so just needed to clarify...

Now to find a decent 16-port (or better) gigabit POE switch with enough POE ports and total power to handle a bunch of cameras including a PTZ.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks... That's what I thought. I know just enough about networking to get in to trouble, so just needed to clarify...

Now to find a decent 16-port (or better) gigabit POE switch with enough POE ports and total power to handle a bunch of cameras including a PTZ.
Click Wiki at top of page, then click on Cliffnotes.