Network Layout Advice

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a pc with BI installed and it's recording 5 cameras 24/7 (No remote live viewing enabled)
Based on internet speed tests (speedtest.comcast.net) I've noticed the BI machine suffers significantly (expected throughput ~50Mbps, actual 15Mbps).

My network topology is:
Internet ->Router ->POE Gigbyte Switch (16 port - 8 poe/8 standard)

Cameras are plugged into POE switch
BI Computer is plugged into same switch.
Other internet users are plugged in to same switch.

The BI computer is the only device which suffers from significant internet speed loss.

I'm looking for some advice on how to improve and eliminate the speed loss on the BI machine.

I'm not a networking guy but I was wondering if it's possible to have IP cameras traffic come in on BI machines NIC2 card and have BI machine NIC1 card be for internet?

Any ideas ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@sudo You should not have any issues with 5 cameras and a gigabit switch and pc network card - it wont even come close to saturating the connection. First things first, what is the speed test when blue iris is turned off?

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
When blue iris is turned off I get ~60Mbps
When it's on, I get ~15Mbps.

I agree, I did not think I should be impeding the internet download speed on the BI machine. However, all tests I've done indicate an issue there.
I was at first thinking it had to do with a switch, cable or firewall/router. However, I've bypassed all equipment and speeds are back up. The last test I did was perform a speed test before and after 3x's disabling/enabling BI service. Each time the results were consistent.

This is why I'm reaching out to far more knowledgeable people such as yourself.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the model of your router and switch? Does your pc have a gigabit network card? What does taskmanager show for network usage? What cameras are you using? What does blue iris show as the incoming bitrate for the cameras?

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
Router is ubiquiti edge router lite, switch is linksys (LGS116P).
PC has a gigabit marvell yukon network card.
Taskmanager showed network usage around 3.5 %
Cameras are hikvision ds-2cd2032-i
Incoming bitrate is varies alot 2kB/s to 80kB/s. Frame rate stays fairly constant.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Incoming bitrate is varies alot 2kB/s to 80kB/s. Frame rate stays fairly constant.
That is a very low bitrate. Are you streaming the substream? what are your camera video settings?
Did you setup qos in the router?

sudo

n3wb
Reaction score
According to camera video settings stream type is Main Stream (Normal)
Video Type : Video Stream
Resolution 2048*1536
BitRate Type: Variable
Video Quality: Highest
Frame Rate: 10
Max Bitrate: 4096
Video Encoding H.264
Profile: Main Profile
IFrame Interval: 10
SVC: OFF

No QOS setup in the router