Network design question regarding the Blue Iris PC and which switch it should use

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a Ubiquiti Unifi network that consists of a Unifi Dream Machine Pro gateway/router, 24-port switch, 24-port PoE switch and 6-port PoE switch. Currently, I have 14 cameras connected to my 24-port PoE switch. My other 3 cameras are plugged into my 8-port PoE switch that's not in my network rack. The two 24-port switches connect to the UDM Pro via 10 gig SFPs. The 8-port connects to the UDM Pro via RJ45 Cat 6.

My question is, should my BI PC be plugged into the PoE switch with the rest of the cameras? I could plug it into the UDM or other 24-port switch. One thing I've noticed, the BI PC runs a steady 160 Mbps and when I run an internet speed test, I don't get the full 1 gig up/down. This makes sense considering the steady camera bandwidth from the 17 cameras. Currently, the BI PC is connected to the non PoE 24-port switch.

Does it make any difference as far as BI UI3 or mobile app performance which switch I use? Thanks!

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It really depends on the logical layout of your network.

If the PC and cameras are all on the same subnet and that subnet is available to all of the switches then it doesn't really matter where on the network you plug the PC in.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
It really depends on the logical layout of your network.

If the PC and cameras are all on the same subnet and that subnet is available to all of the switches then it doesn't really matter where on the network you plug the PC in.
Yes, same subnet. I have noticed that other wired devices connected to the same switch as the BI PC do not get 1 gig up/down on the speedtest... if I pause all the cameras, they do.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All of your camera traffic is going via your udm.
This is probably impacting it somewhat.
If you plug the PC into the 24 port Poe switch you will still have 3 cameras going via the udm but you should still notice an improvement.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
All of your camera traffic is going via your udm.
This is probably impacting it somewhat.
If you plug the PC into the 24 port Poe switch you will still have 3 cameras going via the udm but you should still notice an improvement.
I'l try connecting the BI PC to the PoE switch Thanks for the suggestions.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
If it helps, this is how my network is structured. All camera traffic is on its own subnet and completely separate network. I don't even pass the traffic through a managed switch.

Network Layout.PNG

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If it helps, this is how my network is structured. All camera traffic is on its own subnet and completely separate network. I don't even pass the traffic through a managed switch.

View attachment 181253
Thanks @Ri22o, it looks like you have your BI PC connected to all of your cameras via the same switch. I'm trying this now.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quick question: do have a separate wi-fi router for you IOT network (x.10.x)?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick question: do have a separate wi-fi router for you IOT network (x.10.x)?
For mine, IoT .10 is only for wired devices and is segregated with rule sets in the router.

Wireless IoT segregation is handled with a VLAN as .20 and then the same rule sets for .10 are applied in the router. Since I don't have a full Ubiquiti system I use VLAN tagging on the AP and then assign that tag to the .20 subnet in the router.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I got an edgerouter x for christmas and have been trying to figure out how to set it up properly.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. I got an edgerouter x for christmas and have been trying to figure out how to set it up properly.
These are the steps I followed to segregate IoT and any other devices so they can only see the internet.