network (brodcast) storm crashing my network, suggestions?

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure if this would be the best place to post. Here it goes,

Seeking advice for resolving an issue with my network. Had searched Wiki, no luck. Will utilize SBAR format to share my problem,

Subject: Switch/network crashing after about 3 weeks. All channel showing lost connection (both on Blue Iris and NVR). After unplugging switch and rebooting, a couple cameras will come on like. Requires removing dead channels, and reinstalling each camera into BI/NVR.

Background: System, 15 cameras (Lorex and Dahua) running into a 16 channel switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQHD54L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Running separate Cat5e cable into switch, then 2 Cat 7 cables running into a dedicated computer and DVR. Bit rate out of switch, 1385 MP/s.

Previously had switch crash after a couple moths of use. Sent back for a return. Posted on IPcam talk Need to switch my switch, recommendations?

Some suggested possible network (broadcast storm) or network loop issue.

Researching network issues, I believe it might be as suggested a network storm issue. Don’t even know where to start. There is mention about this issue might be cased by faulty equipment. Don’t think it could be a loop issue. No loop that I know of in my network

Assessment. Have spent quite a bit of time trying to decipher this IP technology data. I realize I’m way out of my league.

Plan: asking if anybody might have had similar problem, and how did you solve it. I did read about some software that might find the source of my conflict.

As always, thank you for taking the time reading my post. Still a newbie, and struggling and loving putting tougher my security system. I have been sucked into the rabbit hole.

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using static IP's for your cameras? When the system goes down and you can no longer see the cameras, can you ping said cameras that are down? Quick way to see if your cameras are losing connection and are offline and possibly find out if it is a hardware issue. Do any other devices that are on that switch lose connectivity? PC, laptops, smart tv's on wifi, etc...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Networks can be painful sometimes, there are so many things that can go wrong. I had a problem about a year ago where my entire LAN suddenly stopped passing traffic. After hours of troubleshooting it turned out to be my VeraPlus (home automation controller). Disconnect it from the LAN and all the problems go away. Connect it back to the LAN and ~10 seconds later all hell breaks loose again. I've also had network interfaces on some old motherboards cause a similar effect after the PC was shut down, but only if certain faulty drivers were installed for it in Windows.

I also once had a TrendNet 16 port gigabit switch (unmanaged) which may have been responsible for occasional connectivity problems. I ended up replacing it with a larger TP-Link switch and the problems went away, but you can never really be certain of the cause when the problems only crop up at random 2-3 times a year.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for responding to my issue.

My system is strictly set up for IP security cameras. The only program I have loaded on it is Blue Iris, and Dahua configuration tool. Except to the switch, no other accessory attached. The switch is attached to the PC and a Lorex DRV. Don’t think it can be a network loop issue. Starting to think it’s my switch. Reading (best to limited ability to understand IT tech terminology) that a broadcast storm can be related to faulty equipment. The switch that I’m using seem to be on the lower end. If my problem continues, think I’ll upgrade to managed switch.

Again, thanks for suggestions.

BTW, how to ping the camera (Yea, Newby here!)

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Assuming you are on a windows computer and the computer is on the same network as your camera system, click on Start and type in the search cmd this should bring up the command prompt program, open that up and lets say a camera that has an IP of 192.168.1.10 you would type in the following ping 192.168.1.10

if the camera is online, it should reply back with something along the lines of Reply from 192.168.1.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

if you don't get a reply back, that usually means the device is not reachable and you will have these type of issues. Next time you have the problem try that out and see what you get, one thing to check is to make sure your computer is online (can get to the internet), that way you know the problem lies within the camera. If you don't have internet access, then your switch may be locking up and causing your network to stop responding/working. Hoping that helps.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Assuming you are on a windows computer and the computer is on the same network as your camera system, click on Start and type in the search cmd this should bring up the command prompt program, open that up and lets say a camera that has an IP of 192.168.1.10 you would type in the following ping 192.168.1.10

if the camera is online, it should reply back with something along the lines of Reply from 192.168.1.10: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

if you don't get a reply back, that usually means the device is not reachable and you will have these type of issues. Next time you have the problem try that out and see what you get, one thing to check is to make sure your computer is online (can get to the internet), that way you know the problem lies within the camera. If you don't have internet access, then your switch may be locking up and causing your network to stop responding/working. Hoping that helps.

Thanks, was doing that, didn't know that was 'pinging' (Newby here),

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome, did you configure the cameras yourself? Are you using static IP's on them, (you set an IP address to each camera manually)? If you gave them a static IP, you need to ensure, you gave them an IP that is out of the DHCP's range, these are addresses assigned by your router/switch to other devices. Which can conflict with your cameras if set improperly.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Awesome, did you configure the cameras yourself? Are you using static IP's on them, (you set an IP address to each camera manually)? If you gave them a static IP, you need to ensure, you gave them an IP that is out of the DHCP's range, these are addresses assigned by your router/switch to other devices. Which can conflict with your cameras if set improperly.
I set the IP address manually with the dahua config tool

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it, I would check what IP's you used and ensure they are out of the DHCP scope, it's worth a look. If you log into your router or modem (what ever handles your networks IP's) and check your LAN settings, you will see where your range starts. For example I have mine setup at 192.168.1.100 through 125 View media item 52 which means, anything that connects to my network either wireless or through a hard connection, will get one of those IP's. I can then use static IP's of 192.168.1.2 through 99 and set them up manually, like I did with my IP cameras.

If you happen to give a device a static IP (that you setup manually) and it's part of the DHCP scope, your router can technically hand that IP to another device, and you will have conflicts. Network issues can be hard to find, but you can start eliminating things by just checking basic settings on your router.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. But I did check with the config tool My setting are set from 192.168.1.1 thru 1.192.168.1.138. All IP camera are between those numbers. How would I access my DHCP data?

Again, big thanks for helping me out.
BTW, been a few days, no crash, yet

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No problem, always glad to help, what type of router do you have or modem? Not sure how you have your network setup. You would need to login to that device. Then look for the DHCP range it's using.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
That's not a router, it's a switch and would be kind of unusual to be causing that kind of problem.

Last edited:

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes that would not be your router, you may not have one and might be using your modem as a router and wifi access point, what is the switch you have there connected to?

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes that would not be your router, you may not have one and might be using your modem as a router and wifi access point, what is the switch you have there connected to?
My bad, meant to say switch. IT dyslexia

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No worries, how is that switch getting internet/network access?

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No worries, how is that switch getting internet/network access?
Have a cat 7 cable going from the switch, to the Lorex DVR, then from the DVR to the Modem (Possible loop issue?)

sc6pt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Lorex but I don't think you need a network cable from the dvr to the modem. You should just have a cable going from the modem, to your switch. (They call this an uplink) Your switch, should then feed the dvr and ip cameras. So yes, you may have a loop there. If you don't have a router in between the modem and switch, then it sounds like your modem is possibly acting like one and giving out your internal network devices IP's.

If you' can post the model of DVR, I can skim through the manual.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Clearly listing all the brands and model numbers of the gear in question is often helpful too.

Yes, I know there are links for some things but a concise list is nice to have, along with the diagram. Equipment makes/models incorporated into the diagram would be nice.