Network assistance please?

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I've read everything I can find (learning networking, Cisco website, here, The Cliff notes here, etc) but I am still having problem (but some headway) with getting this one Dahua IPC-HDW4231em-as to connect to lorex nvr (3 of 4 connected). I've reset, I've initialized with toolbox config tool, I can see it in web browser with 192.168.0.108 (reset from 192.168.1.108) subnet 255.255.255.0. I then connect it to nvr and it can't find it even tried manual add. I plug it back into laptop via ethernet and see it has changed ip address to 10.x.xx something. I dn't understand these addresses. I then put the 10.x.x.x something into browser with it connected via laptop and get nothing. Any help appreciated greatly.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I've read everything I can find (learning networking, Cisco website, here, The Cliff notes here, etc) but I am still having problem (but some headway) with getting this one Dahua IPC-HDW4231em-as to connect to lorex nvr (3 of 4 connected). I've reset, I've initialized with toolbox config tool, I can see it in web browser with 192.168.0.108 (reset from 192.168.1.108) subnet 255.255.255.0. I then connect it to nvr and it can't find it even tried manual add. I plug it back into laptop via ethernet and see it has changed ip address to 10.x.xx something. I dn't understand these addresses. I then put the 10.x.x.x something into browser with it connected via laptop and get nothing. Any help appreciated greatly.
The NVR probably changed the address to 10.x.x.x
You can't connect when you plug it into your laptop because your laptop is set to an IP address in a different subnet.

Try adding whatever 10.x.x.x address you found manually to the NVR and see what happens.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It sounds like the NVR has 4 PoE ports, if that is the case then the NVR assigns an ip to each port that is on a different ip range to the one that the NVR itself uses to connect to the network.

On your pc that is network 'A' it can only see other devices that have similar addresses, any device connected to the PoE ports on the NVR are assigned to network 'B' and unless you create 'routes' on your pc to that range then they are not able to communicate from A to B, this is basic network stuff, not sure where you "read everything" but it is often covered on this site as it is confusing the first time it occurs.

Yollie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you both, I FINALLY got it working. I was not able to change the password and ip address of the camera through the config tool but signing into the camera through the webpage I was able to. I then plugged into my Lorex NVR it assigned another ip address but I then went to password and changed it to the one I set through the web browser and it worked. I also found that the setting ONVIF worked better than private. With private the cam wouldn't show in the grid format.