NetTime running and responding (per the log), but time is not updating on the camera.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Some firewall exceptions are created/enabled by app name, other by port reference. It might be listed simply as 'NTP'

If creating a rule, I prefer the using the port reference in the name, so it is clear exactly what the rule/exception does: "UDP Port 123", or "UDP Port 123 Inbound" (when applicable).

Edit:

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nettime was successfully updating before I added the Windows Defender rule so don't know how it was able to do that. I still think the cameras are being blocked from getting NTP. Now I've added inbound and outbound "Custom" rules for UDP port 123 on the two subnet IP's. Maybe that will do it.

Last edited:

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope. I logged into one of my Hikvision cameras and clicked the test button for NTP and it failed.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what are the IP address for your BI machine ?
What is the IP address of the camera ?
Does the network traffic from the camera to the BI computer pass through the router ?
Provide a screen shot of the hikvision time configuration screen

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Description of situation:
Bi is running and recording nine cameras on a dual-NIC with two subnets 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.2.1
The BI pc itself is at IP 192.168.16.10 on the motherboard port.
Nettime successfully updates and shows status = good.
On the Hikvision camera at 192.168.2.150 (static ip) I have:
NTP:
Server address: 192.168.2.1
NTP port: 123
Interval: 15 minutes

On Windows Defender firewall I created inbound and outbound rules to allow UDP port 123 traffic for 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24.
The traffic between the dual-NIC and the camera only passes through a POE-switch.

EDIT---

Okay, I don't know why but now it is working.

Last edited:

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I also have a dual NIC Blue Iris computer and I checked my NetTime log and it wasn't showing my cameras' times were being updated either. I had already setup rules for allowing NetTime through the Public and Private firewall and another rule to allow UDP port 123 traffic through but it still wasn't working. I tried turning off the Domain Network firewall and that is what fixed it for me. I don't really need the Domain Network firewall since I'm on a home network and not on an Enterprise or Domain. The other thing I had to change was to set the logging in NetTime to Verbose in order for the NTP checks from the cameras to show up. Everything is working now!

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And because there are different ways to account for time zones (UTC and GMT, maybe others) or the time zone the camera was hard coded for, sometimes you get weird things.

Before I got into real cameras, I had 4 identical cheap IP cams. Each one needed a different time zone in order to show the correct time coming from the NTP server.

If your camera was working and now it started getting off, then you probably need to do a factory reset.

And don't set DST to a day that will change, switch it to the week because DST is now the same Sunday of March and November every year...
Changing DST to week finely corrected my time issue.