Nerd Question on Timing

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, about a 1/2 mile from me I suspect a transformer was shot out. I captured audio of a gun shot on my exterior cameras. During playback of a clip, Bi shows time in thousandths of a second. Is there a way to synch up the times of clips, or see an audio wave form to tie the sound down to determine which camera heard the sound first? Two of my cameras are about 180 feet apart, so I do have a lot more separation on cameras than most.

Like the title says.... :)

Wen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tville, is it possible that you heard the transformer blowing, which sounds a lot like a shot?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Tville, is it possible that you heard the transformer blowing, which sounds a lot like a shot?
Depending upon the type and brand transformer newer systems incorporate an explosive charge to disconnect the line. That would definitely sound like a gun shot!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no convenient way to show the audio waveform with timestamps. Even if you could, the cameras are likely out of sync by so much that you would not be able to discern which direction the sound came from with any reliability.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There is no convenient way to show the audio waveform with timestamps. Even if you could, the cameras are likely out of sync by so much that you would not be able to discern which direction the sound came from with any reliability.
The timestamps would have to come from the BI recording. I do not know how they are recorded, but during playback, BI shows time stamps to the 1/1,000 of a second. Accurate? I have no idea.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is entirely possible. The power company was working on replacing it and I should know in the morning if they found a bullet in it or not. Around here, it is entirely possible someone shoot a transformer too. :eek: