Nellys Security 4Knvr-16

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a 16 port POE nvr that I just purchased and I cannot figure out how to navigate to the setup menu. Somehow I stumbled on the option to format the HDD and I did see setup screens but when I left out, i was unable to find it again. All I can get from the first screen is network state. Very frustrating as I cannot figure out the manufacturer in order to get a manual other than quickstart. Obviously I have an OEM model. Any help appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a 16 port POE nvr that I just purchased and I cannot figure out how to navigate to the setup menu. Somehow I stumbled on the option to format the HDD and I did see setup screens but when I left out, i was unable to find it again. All I can get from the first screen is network state. Very frustrating as I cannot figure out the manufacturer in order to get a manual other than quickstart. Obviously I have an OEM model. Any help appreciated!
Hikvision.

KCulver

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, this did not help as I had viewed it, but I did luck upon a solution and Thanks for responding! I installed another Hard Drive to force the system to complain for a format and was presented with a "configuration" button. This button gave me access to all options, including setup. As long as i did not format the HDD, I was able to access setup. I then realize that my screen was at the incorrect resolution, which was 1080 X 1920. After making this correction, I realized that not seeing full screen was hiding the button for acces to setup! Also, while the above video was not clear, the r-series nvr/camera, is based upon using only r-series components for plug and play. The internal network as a segment of 10.10.25..... so since my cameras are not r-series, I should be able to configure them for DHCP so they will get an address in this range. Hopefully I am right about this! All my cameras are ONVIF so I should be golden! Wish me luck!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, good luck! Thanks for sharing your "resolution" ! (Sorry...I couldn't resist).

Yeah, that monitor / TV resolution can be an issue. One of favorite haunts is a nearby, mom 'n pop grill that has a few ~42" TV's on various walls and the satellite receiver (most likely) has been improperly configured for "zoom".....when watching sports you miss scores, the news will miss info, etc. Pretty annoying. I've mentioned it to the owner, it may stay correct for a few days then someone on staff sets it right back to zoom.

Just one of life's small, but numerous, annoyances. Funny, but the older I get, the more those increase in number...:rolleyes:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Wrong aspect ratio, wrong zoom setting is a pet peeve of mine. How can people stand living with that, when it's so easy to set right?

That, and running a monitor in a non-native resolution so everything looks blurry. Nice, eh? :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wrong aspect ratio, wrong zoom setting is a pet peeve of mine. How can people stand living with that, when it's so easy to set right?

That, and running a monitor in a non-native resolution so everything looks blurry. Nice, eh? :)
Or watching a 480p video of 4:3 aspect zoomed out to fit a 65" 16:9 screen.....people look blurred, short and wide. I prefer black pillar bars.

Almost annoying as someone shooting a video in portrait (vertical) mode on their smartphone and when the news media shows it, it has blurry but moving pillar bars on both sides of it. My old brain gets too much visual input and I miss the intended content! :highfive:

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score

Yes!

I need to see things in the correct aspect ratio. If that means black bars to crop out the unnecessary area of a particular screen's shape, then that's just fine. Stretching and distorting the image to make it fill the whole (wrong shape) screen is asinine.

And whatever crappy software these networks or stations are using, that adds the annoying blurry video artifacts to the left and right of vertical videos should be banned. It's annoying, distracting, lazy, and unprofessional. Just black out the unused area so we can concentrate on the actual content. I find the weird "there, but not there" side bars to be super distracting and confusing, too. What's the purpose? I'm sure it's some feature built into "final cut", or "premiere", and the morons editing these videos for presentation on TV just can't resist using it, or they're too lazy to find the settings for it and switch it to "black pillars" mode.

And while it does mean that you might need two hands to shoot a proper video with your phone, steer with your knees, for God's sake, as you shoot that jerky, badly-composed video through your dirty windshield of that spectacular wreck, police shooting, or tornado!

Last edited: