Neighbhors Car Jack Being Stolen around 0640 hrs Today 11/8/2020

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking the EXACT same thing, a dedicated polarized lens cam just for daytime windshields!!! Great minds..... I have a spare 4431 sitting around..
I have a polariser on my dashcam and I can notice the difference on my own but not others windshields. However, have a play, your experience maybe different. I think part of the limitation is circlar polarisers require you to rotate the polariser for maximum effect and the angle it works at depends on the angle it is to the light source. In a car as the car is constantly moving and changing position realtive to the sun, the filter is rarely if ever in the ideal position for maximum filtration.

So far as the 4431 is concered. There is a video on Youtube of someone using a CCTV camera as a dashcaera. I can't find the link. However, the main issue with doing this is setting up the NVR as a CCTV cam is not self contained. You're basically going to need an NVR in the boot along with a mains power converter (unless you can find a 12v NVR) as well as the camera and wiring the car with Cat5.

The best in car pictures I've seen came from a DSLR. Sony A7SIII. However, having a DSLR strapped to your windscreen is not ideal and cannot be left when stopped due to the risk of theft.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a polariser on my dashcam and I can notice the difference on my own but not others windshields. However, have a play, your experience maybe different. I think part of the limitation is circlar polarisers require you to rotate the polariser for maximum effect and the angle it works at depends on the angle it is to the light source. In a car as the car is constantly moving and changing position realtive to the sun, the filter is rarely if ever in the ideal position for maximum filtration.

So far as the 4431 is concered. There is a video on Youtube of someone using a CCTV camera as a dashcaera. I can't find the link. However, the main issue with doing this is setting up the NVR as a CCTV cam is not self contained. You're basically going to need an NVR in the boot along with a mains power converter (unless you can find a 12v NVR) as well as the camera and wiring the car with Cat5.

The best in car pictures I've seen came from a DSLR. Sony A7SIII. However, having a DSLR strapped to your windscreen is not ideal and cannot be left when stopped due to the risk of theft.
Actually I have a telephone pole right beside the road with a head on shot of incoming cars - I was just going to try it there possibly, not in my car. I was never going to mount an IP camera in my car. We want to just use our IP cams mounted wherever (pole, house side...) with a polarizer to see through car windows better.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kinda gobsmacked that anyone would bother wasting the petrol to bother reversing to grab what looked to be a standard OEM car jack.
Not that it matters, and these tired, cloudy 71 years old eyes could be wrong, but it looked more to me like a small, floor jack with wheels and a short handle...if so, worth more than a small scissor or bottle jack. But then again, some OEM jacks are outrageous money because it must fit into a certain outline or bracket behind the seat on the back cab wall or in a molded outline under a spare tire in the trunk.

Regardless....I detest thieves ! :angry:

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not that it matters, and these tired, cloudy 71 years old eyes could be wrong, but it looked more to me like a small, floor jack with wheels and a short handle...
Yup i think you're absolutely right. I had watched the video on my phone initially, just watched on my desktop and it is indeed as you described. Very eagle eyed of the theives to notice it (unfortunately)!

Testament to the quality of the footage that we could go back and spot the type of jack!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't need an NVR and inverter in the boot, just record to the cameras SD card.
Where's the power going to come from? You need POE.

Also, I doubt you'd get a good moving picture from a CCTV camera. The bit rate is @ 8mbs because it relies on most of the picture being static and not changing between frames. A lower end dashcam these days uses around 20mbs. The higher end ones 50mbs+. There's a reason. A cctv camera will probably get a better picture when parked or at low speed due to a bigger sensor and better optics. However, once on the move, I'd bet compression is horrendous due to lack of bit rate.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Where's the power going to come from? You need POE.

Also, I doubt you'd get a good moving picture from a CCTV camera. The bit rate is @ 8mbs because it relies on most of the picture being static and not changing between frames. A lower end dashcam these days uses around 20mbs. The higher end ones 50mbs+. There's a reason. A cctv camera will probably get a better picture when parked or at low speed due to a bigger sensor and better optics. However, once on the move, I'd bet compression is horrendous due to lack of bit rate.
Most PoE cameras can also be powered directly from a 12 volt, DC, supply. Bit and frame rates can be adjusted up pretty substantially. From random observation of traffic on my street, which sometimes exceeds 50MPH, a PoE surveillance camera has no problem producing a good video. The biggest problem I see is where to put a camera that is as big as a 5442 bullet form factor. Another problem is the lens. Even a 2.8mm doesn;t produce a wide enough angle, IMHO.

Last edited:

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Not that it matters, and these tired, cloudy 71 years old eyes could be wrong, but it looked more to me like a small, floor jack with wheels and a short handle...if so, worth more than a small scissor or bottle jack. But then again, some OEM jacks are outrageous money because it must fit into a certain outline or bracket behind the seat on the back cab wall or in a molded outline under a spare tire in the trunk.

Regardless....I detest thieves ! :angry:
Correct it was a floor jack. I think the jack I do not know how much that was worth. I believe he has some damage to the truck the way they dropped it so A tow truck towed his truck away last night to a shop for repairs.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup i think you're absolutely right. I had watched the video on my phone initially, just watched on my desktop and it is indeed as you described. Very eagle eyed of the theives to notice it (unfortunately)!

Testament to the quality of the footage that we could go back and spot the type of jack!
I wouldn't be surprised if they scoped it out before hand. How long was the car up on the jack? Might be worth a look back to see if they passed by previously. That had all the makings of them knowing what they wanted already. They pass by to ensure know one is around, they back up and grab it. Plus you gotta be sure you can fit that in the car. I'd bet previous video would show that caddy made the rounds before the grab.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Most PoE cameras can also be powered directly from a 12 volt, DC, supply. Bit and frame rates can be adjusted up pretty substantially. From random observation of traffic on my street, which sometimes exceeds 50MPH, a PoE surveillance camera has no problem producing a good video. The biggest problem I see is where to put a camera that is as big as a 5442 bullet form factor. Another problem is the lens. Even a 2.8mm doesn;t produce a wide enough angle, IMHO.
Try it out but thats still very different to having the camera moving in a car. Static with a 50mph car, the only item moving in the frame is the car. When the camera is moving, the entire frame is moving. Compression works by measuring the change between frames and only recording the difference. So from a static position, the compression only renders the change in the car and the road / item behind the car (and road being under the car) from where it was previously. When the camera is in a car moving, the majority of the picture is changing from frame to frame so theres a lot more data to record and this impacts the level of compression required and the final output quality. There are lots of articles on the internet about compression although I confess to being a long way from an expert.