Need tutorial direction to stream cam on our new subdivision web site

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just completed a new web site for our neighborhood and would like to add one of my web cams as a live stream if it is possible within the constraints of my setup.
It is a basic site hosted by and using GoDaddy's basic "WebBuilder" template tool. That's about as much as I know about web site building.
The tool does allow for pages with custom HTML inserted so I am hoping that means there is a possibility of doing this.

I have a Dahua camera which runs through my POE switch to my computer running Blue Iris.
Does anyone have experience doing this or could provide links to some documentation or 101s on how to start this project?
I have no coding or web building experience. I also don't want to first run the camera through Youtube.
I'd like to stream live from the camera to the site.
Maybe the ability to add some other neighbor's camera to the site down the road also.

I have not googled much on this yet...thought I'd start here wherereal people may already have some experience to share.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt that you can stream directly from your camera or Blue Iris without going first streaming to a service, such as YouTube, Twitch, Vimeo, etc. This is based on what it says here ==>> GoDaddy Help: Add a livestream video feed

Once you establish to which service you will stream to, you should be able to use the free "Open Broadcaster Software Studio" ("OBS") to stream any cam that is currently operating with Blue Iris by using BI's output to OBS then OBS to the streaming service THEN to your GoDaddy-hosted web page.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the direction. I followed the Godaddy & Youtube instruction and had the test camera embedded on my web site in just a couple of minutes!
No 3rd party OBS software was suggested or needed? So, what additional use does OBS provide?

While I'm excited to get that going the let downs so far are:
Looks like max res is 480p for the youtube feed.
Looking at the live feed on the web page, it is very low res blocky and clunky...almost as if it was not a live video feed but refreshing the image every second with a clunk, clunk, clunk refresh motion visible.
Any idea if that's normal?
It does appear I can only have 1 you tube video stream at a time as I don't see options to add more streams. I was hoping to do 2 or 3 feeds.

Any idea if you can really run the live feed 24/7 or does YouTube cut it off every so often and make you manually re-start or something?
Any security issues? I assume anyone with the URL can see it, but I don't care about that as long as the Youtube live stream process it doesn't give someone a malicious path back to my account, web site or personal computer somehow.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of uploading/downloading going on (from your cam to YT to your site and then down to you to view) so the video is likely being formatted to compensate for insufficient bandwidth.
Also:
  1. What is your upload speed from the cam to YT?
  2. Are you going directly from the cam to YT?
  3. What is the cam's stream type (main or sub) and resolution?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I left everything at whatever the defaults are in BI.
1) Not sure where to see my upload speed to YT but I have a 1G fiber up\down connection to the house so no constraint there.
2) I assume so? I just added the RTMP URL and stream key and it was live.
3) Camera property screen Shows red dot next to Main stream, so guessing it means it is using that?

1634766853692.png
1634767108830.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I left everything at whatever the defaults are in BI.
1) Not sure where to see my upload speed to YT but I have a 1G fiber up\down connection to the house so no constraint there.
2) I assume so? I just added the RTMP URL and stream key and it was live.
3) Camera property screen Shows red dot next to Main stream, so guessing it means it is using that?
1) yeah, that's no problem.
2) Great! I thought BI could do this but have never tried it. OBS could be used if you did not have BI and were going to stream from cam to OBS to YT.
3) Not sure.

Have you tried increasing "quality" up from 50%?
Uncheck "Zero frame latency"?
In cam webGUI, set Bit Rate type to VBR, lower frame rate to 15 FPS, set Frame Interval to 15 ?

Last edited:

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@ntbstl68
I don't believe you are streaming from your camera directly to youtube. Most newer Dahua cameras support RTMP. The following video describes how to do it.
You could google the subject to see what other info may be currently available.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The stream is definitely from camera to BI to YouTube. My camera model, (5321Z) does not have the RTMP firmware option to try streaming it directly from the camera itself.
Tweaking all of the settings suggested and a few others are not making any difference to the end quality. Tweaking the output frame size in webcast tab \ config button just changed the shape of the window. Oddly it givesme additional quality settings in YouTube to select but changing from say 240 to 1080 made zero difference in the viewable resolution.
Still blocky and clunky refresh every second. It's a mystery. I am probably messing upo more than I am fixing at this point. :rolleyes: I'll keep googling.
See here new video link , (I changed the url changed somehow when changing settings...I'm very new to playing with this in YouTube).

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I have it working as good as it is going to get. Using the substream is a max 480p but that's fine for my purposes and no blips for lack of a better term. When I switch to it using the main stream no matter what the settings the image does some sort of blip blocky blur then goes clear again roughly every ten seconds no matter what settings I change.
Also found I had to uncheck the Limit BitRate box for it to even feed at all sometimes, (which is opposite the indication it is "best for streaming"?).
I varied the Video quality %, bit rate, max keyframe by a wide margin but seemed not to affect anything.
I also changed the i Frame interval in the camera itself to match the frame rate, (to equal 1fps in the BI stream) which is the only thing that seemed to help the 10 second blur blip.

While it appears to be working fine, YouTube is showing a "key Frame" too high warning, The value YouTube sees seems to change from saying it 8 seconds or 10 seconds? I am not sure what the "keyframe" is or where to change it? (In BI? In the Camera config?)
I only see options to change Frame Rate and I-Frame.

1634867908668.png 1634868046599.png 1634868125913.png

1634868220821.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you also try as I suggested in post #7: "In cam webGUI, set Bit Rate type to VBR, lower frame rate to 15 FPS, set Frame Interval to 15 ?"
No need for streaming 30 FPS unless you're shooting a theater-grade movie.....IMO.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am not sure what the "keyframe" is or where to change it? (In BI? In the Camera config?)
I only see options to change Frame Rate and I-Frame.

View attachment 105693
Right below your red arrow: "Maximum keyframe interval".

Also, an excerpt from BI's "Help":

"FPS/Key
The FPS is the number of Frames per Second on average currently being received from the camera. The value that follows is the number of key frames per second. A key frame is a complete frame—one that may be displayed without reference or dependence upon another frame. These are sometimes called I-frames and define a GOP (group of pictures).
The key frame rate is an important consideration for multiple software functions. A key frame rate of approximately 1.00 is desirable for optimal use of the direct-to-disc recording option as well as the limit-decoding unless required functionality. Adjust this rate within the camera’s web browser interface."

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup, tried 15fps\15 I-frame...didn't seem to make it any better or worse.
I was assuming the BI help talking about the "Max KeyFrame Interval" had to be something different or at least the value not refer to seconds but it does not clarify. BI help seems to be at odds with The YouTube error which says to set Key Frame to less than 4 (seconds),
Whereas the BI help says,
"The keyframe interval is also best in the 15-30 range for recording, but can be much higher (300 or so) for remote streaming applications."
Unfortunately it does not go into any further detail as to why it could be 300 or more for streaming. I did a little googling on that and some sites references always using a setting of "2". ...and not saying why or noting if this number referred to seconds or something else either.

Using the main stream YouTube gives you higher quality selection options like 1080 but you get the blur Blip. Using the substream it maxes at a 480 selection with no blips. So I can live with that. This is really just a test \ learning experience..

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Go Daddy might be imposing some limits on the streams they host. something deep under the hood probably. maybe another web hosting site allows more bandwidth?

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nbstl68
You should not have to use substream and fiddle with all those settings to just send a good camera stream to youtube. Something must be going on in BI. Maybe BI is running out of some resource

Here are some guidelines for youtube live stream that may help.

If needed, you could try using OBS instead of BI to receive camera RTSP stream and recode to RTMP stream for youtube live stream. One link among many that shows how to do it is below.