Need some help.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I changed internet service providers and I can no longer access Blue Iris remotely from the net. It is set up so the new connection goes through the old local router, the router connects to the computer (with BI installed) and the Cameras. It still works on the LAN but will not connect over the WAN. When I go through the Remote Access Wizard in BI it's all good up to the "Remote Access" test where I get the dreaded "X". I did Port Forwarding using the "plug and play" routine. 'Canyouseeme.org' can't see me.

I originally set it up years ago and haven't changed anything since, except the ISP. I have a vague recollection that there was port forwarding issue with the router, but I don't remember the details. It is the same router as before the ISP change.

I am hoping the problem is obvious to someone.
Thanks for any help, will be appreciated.
John

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I changed internet service providers and I can no longer access Blue Iris remotely from the net. It is set up so the new connection goes through the old local router, the router connects to the computer (with BI installed) and the Cameras. It still works on the LAN but will not connect over the WAN. When I go through the Remote Access Wizard in BI it's all good up to the "Remote Access" test where I get the dreaded "X". I did Port Forwarding using the "plug and play" routine. 'Canyouseeme.org' can't see me.

I originally set it up years ago and haven't changed anything since, except the ISP. I have a vague recollection that there was port forwarding issue with the router, but I don't remember the details. It is the same router as before the ISP change.

I am hoping the problem is obvious to someone.
Thanks for any help, will be appreciated.
John
New ISP will have a new IP address setup for your system.

Double check that you are using the right IP addresses / addressing.

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am confused. BI is trying to connect using xxx.xxx.xx.179 . The QuantumFiber modem says the IPV4 IP address is xxx.xxx.xx.178. The Net gear router gives a completely different IP Address and Gateway IP Address. These two address are almost identical to each other but differ only by the last digit.

Is there somewhere I can read up on this stuff and fully understand what is going on?

Thanks for any help
John

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, determine what your WAN (public) IP is:
Next, let's determine some LAN (private) IP's:
  • On your BI server, press Windows key + R at same time.
  • In the command window type "cmd" (no quotes) and hit <Enter>.
  • Type "ipconfig" (no quotes) and hit <Enter>.

Those shown are all private IP's. Don't let the name "private" worry you, you can tell us what they are.
I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours! Here's mine:

BI-server-ipconfig_sm.jpg

The IPv4 address is the IP of the PC you issued the "ipconfig" command on.
The "Default Gateway" is IP of your router. It's the same IP you would use in a browser to access the router's embedded webGUI to explore or make changes in the router.

Last edited:

Tacoman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had a lot of issues getting the new ISP service straightened out. I ended up taking my slow wireless/wired router out of the system. It was between my server and the ISP modem. I replaced it with a smart switching hub that goes to the server and the POE hub for the cameras. It was getting really poor connectivity speeds and it would not connect to the cameras. I ended replacing all the cables and patch cables in the system with Cat 7. All the hubs/switches are now "Gigabite" rated. Now it seems to work pretty well. The only remaining issue is internet net connectivity to BI is having some issues. For some reason my tablet and smart phone will both connect fine on the LAN. The smart phone will not connect to the WAN but the tablet will. Both are set up the same on the BI app.

TonyR thanks for the help. Sorry it took a while to get back to you. I went through your recommended diagnostics. Both the LAN IP and the WAN IP addresses match what BI is using now. I think a lot of the problem was having a slow router and Cat 5 cables in the system. I replaced the router with a gigabite rated switch but lost the wireless. The old router was about 12 years old, very slow and a messy complication. I still have a problem with one of the cameras not connecting and the smartphone will not connect with the BI app over the WAN. It turned into a frustrating ordeal. Pretty much everything in the LAN needed to be upgraded.