Need some help with cctv placements and cameras

Uj95

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have the old coaxial cable which are outdated and will be doing a new install with cat6 around the house. Struggling with new camera placements to clearly identify/detect.

I have tried the calculator.ipvm.com but I still can't figure out the best way.

The cameras will be placed approx 2.5m from the ground up - the distance to the path is about 7.5m.

I have attached a skyview of my house if anyone can help

Also if I go down the Blue Iris route - what would be the best computer to buy as I have an old i5 optiplex 7010 ssf so wondering if that'd work.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you follow every optimization in the wiki, including substreams, then you can make that old computer work. I'd say try it first and upgrade if it can't keep up. A member here has 18 cameras going on a 3rd gen.

See this thread for camera recommendations based on distance:

Uj95

n3wb
Reaction score
If you follow every optimization in the wiki, including substreams, then you can make that old computer work. I'd say try it first and upgrade if it can't keep up. A member here has 18 cameras going on a 3rd gen.

See this thread for camera recommendations based on distance:

Would I be able to re-use my existing coaxial cameras with blue iris as well as new cat6 poe cameras?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use coax with PoE cameras but the converters make it a lot more expensive. Pulling new cable, CAT5e or CAT6, is the best solution.

In terms of camera placement it would be a good idea to get a varifocal camera like the 5442-ZE, bullet or turret version, set up a test stand and test each location. Not only will you get an idea what the view will be like, you can also approximate what focal length would be best for a fixed focal length camera. Test each location during the day and night, with motion especially at night, to make sure you can actually identify from the video and not by knowing who is out there walking around. That works a lot better than IPVM or eyeball estimates.

A test stand is a five gallon bucket full of rocks or sand with a 2x4-8 to mount the camera to and a 200 foot ethernet cable so it can be moved anywhere you might want to try. Video access is through the web GUI from the camera unless or until you set up a VMS like Blue Iris. Plus this lets you get used to fooling with camera settings. Leaving everything on default is never a good plan.

Last edited:

Uj95

n3wb
Reaction score
You can use coax with PoE cameras but the converters make it a lot more expensive. Pulling new cable, CAT5e or CAT6, is the best solution.

In terms of camera placement it would be a good idea to get a varifocal camera like the 5442-ZE, bullet or turret version, set up a test stand and test each location. Not only will you get an idea what the view will be like, you can also approximate what focal length would be best for a fixed focal length camera. Test each location during the day and night, with motion especially at night, to make sure you can actually identify from the video and not by knowing who is out there walking around. That works a lot better than IVM or eyeball estimates.

A test stand is a five gallon bucket full of rocks or sand with a 2x4-8 to mount the camera to and a 200 foot ethernet cable so it can be moved anywhere you might want to try. Video access is through the web GUI from the camera unless or until you set up a VMS like Blue Iris. Plus this lets you get used to fooling with camera settings. Leaving everything on default is never a good plan.
If I connect the test camera directly to my router - will I be able to access the feed from an app or Web interface?

Also - if I had blue iris or an NVR and connected it to a monitor. If the Internet was to go down - would the live footage on the monitor also go down?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes you could access is from an app when connected to router, but nobody here would recommend letting the camera have internet access for long.

Blue Iris and NVR store the data and feed local, so you could still watch it on a monitor with no internet.

Now if you go with cloud based systems (Ring, Nest, etc.), then no, but those don't work with BI anyway...