Need Recommendation for 8 Camera Package

Reaction score
After doing some research and weighing my available freetime I have decided to go with a pre-packaged system. I could probably save some money and buy seperately and piece it together
but I just dont have the time to spend doing that. With that being said this is what I am looking for.

1. 8 cameras.... either mix of turret and dome or all turret. At least three of cameras will be on garage area or doors entering the house so I want cameras that are good for that. I really doubt I will need more cameras in the future so 8 will be my max.
2. Good night vision.
3. Able to view iPhone
4. Reliable.
5. 24 hour recording with ability to set certain cameras to motion sensing. I want to store locally so not interested in paying a monthly subscription.
6. Ample storage or ability to add drives to expand storage. I have lots of 3tb drives available so I ideally I could use those for storage to save some money.
7. Budget of 1K to 1.5K but really want to keep it closer or lower than 1K.

I looked on Newegg and had my eye on some of the GW Security packages but I know nothing about these systems. What would you get, given my requirements.

trucams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are going to struggle to get everything you want in a packaged system. Dome cameras have documented issues when used outside. You are in the US. You would be better off piecing it together as noted, however, if that is not going to work, consider the 6 camera Lorex system at Costco as a base and add two Dahua starlight cameras to improve the night vision aspect. Search for Lorex +Costco here and in a general internet search...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After doing some research and weighing my available freetime I have decided to go with a pre-packaged system...
1. 8 cameras.... either mix of turret and dome or all turret. At least three of cameras will be on garage area or doors entering the house so I want cameras that are good for that. I really doubt I will need more cameras in the future so 8 will be my max.
2. Good night vision...
Hi Stephen,

definitely pay note to what looney2ns and trucams mentioned.

Avoid domes if you want LESS issues. Turrets are nice.

That said, I have yet to see a deal on a kit with 100% turrets.

If you want the best low light performance, your only option at the price point you note really is to go with Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras from Andy ( empiretecandy ).

You can start with the following to compare your options ( this is what I have )

NVR - Dahua OEM NVR5216-16P-4KS2 ( there's a newer model so use that )
Dahua OEM 2MP starlight camera - IPC-HDW5231xx ( plus I really like to get the junction box for this, new version PFA130-E )
and then one for the front door - Dahua OEM 2MP mini-dome wedge ( just search for it here )

Otherwise, if you can wait - there's typically good deals during BF-cyber week from various vendors - thought I have not seen anyone carrying the Dahua OEM 2MP starlights in the USA at reasonable prices. Also note, the Dahua OEM models IPC-xxx4xxx and IPC-xxx5xxx are often superior to what you see sold in kits in terms of what Dahua is calling IVS features. ( Q-see relabels are IVA features, Lorex strips this feature out, Amcrest iirc does also )

Reaction score
2. Good night vision.
3. Able to view iPhone
4. Reliable.
5. 24 hour recording with ability to set certain cameras to motion sensing. I want to store locally so not interested in paying a monthly subscription.
6. Ample storage or ability to add drives to expand storage. I have lots of 3tb drives available so I ideally I could use those for storage to save some money.
7. Budget of 1K to 1.5K but really want to keep it closer or lower than 1K.
You might want to check out some of the camera + NVR systems sold by Amcrest. Many Amcrest cameras are rebranded Dahua equipment, and I've had good results with Amcrest indoor and outdoor cameras (although I primarily buy Dahua cameras direct from @EMPIRETECANDY). I can't comment on Amcrest's support beyond the fact that they do regularly issue firmware updates on their cameras, which is more than many other sellers do. Amcrest is always my recommendation for people who want something a step above Ring or Nest cameras, but who are unwilling or incapable of dealing with a more sophisticated installation on their own.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to check out some of the camera + NVR systems sold by Amcrest. Many Amcrest cameras are rebranded Dahua equipment, ..
Hi wtimothyholman

Sometimes there are some good sales on Amcrest branded cameras and kits.

Their "4K" UHD IP POE Bullet IP8M-2496EB - looks similar to Lorex and Dahua OEM models ( IPC-HFW48xx )
Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Bullet POE IP Camera Security, 3840x2160, 131ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording, Black (IP8M-2496EB)

From what I can tell by the html page above - there appears to be no mention of IVS / IVA features ( similar to the Lorex rebrand ), though they do mention it having an microSD slot.

Update: this particular camera's spec sheet does list it supports IVS features!

Currently the memorial day discount code of 10% off looks like it is in effect and the price is listed as $139.99 ( total w/o tax + shipping = $125.99 )

Fairly competitive compared to all the Nest cameras which cost more.

Now, the issue is that Amcrest does have a limited choice of cameras, and some of their product line I really dislike the new "hexagonal" cross section shape they've decided to use.

I did not see anything which looked like a starlight model, and they seem to currently only have a dome and bullet "4K" option.

At the current price point, I would still recommend getting a quote from Andy on a kit as you have a better choice of camera options and the ability to also pick up junction boxes from him.

Update: closer inspection of the spec sheet for the Amcrest bullet mentioned above shows it to be comparible with the Dahua OEM IPC-HFW4831E-SE

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now, the issue is that Amcrest does have a limited choice of cameras, and some of their product line I really dislike the new "hexagonal" cross section shape they've decided to use.

I did not see anything which looked like a starlight model, and they seem to currently only have a dome and bullet "4K" option.

At the current price point, I would still recommend getting a quote from Andy on a kit as you have a better choice of camera options and the ability to also pick up junction boxes from him.
Agreed, a quote from @EMPIRETECANDY will get him the most bang for the buck, but Amcrest may be able to provide a package solution with additional support that he would find desirable. Some Amcrest mini-bullets (e.g. IP4M-1024EB) are rebranded Dahua cameras, and I suspect that some of their NVRs are rebranded Dahua NVRs, so many Dahua cameras might integrate very nicely with a 2- or 4-camera NVR system from Amcrest.

In my opinion, Amcrest's biggest weakness is their failure to incorporate some varifocal full-size bullets into their lineup. The night vision capabilities of Amcrest camera models are by no means "bad" (basically the same as equivalent Dahua mini-bullets and domes), they're just not up to the varifocal Starlight level.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, a quote from @EMPIRETECANDY will get him the most bang for the buck, but Amcrest may be able to provide a package solution with additional support that he would find desirable. Some Amcrest mini-bullets (e.g. IP4M-1024EB) are rebranded Dahua cameras, and I suspect that some of their NVRs are rebranded Dahua NVRs, so many Dahua cameras might integrate very nicely with a 2- or 4-camera NVR system from Amcrest.

In my opinion, Amcrest's biggest weakness is their failure to incorporate some varifocal full-size bullets into their lineup. The night vision capabilities of Amcrest camera models are by no means "bad" (basically the same as equivalent Dahua mini-bullets and domes), they're just not up to the varifocal Starlight level.
Hi wtimothyholman,

I actually have the 3MP version of that bullet, and it worked without issues connecting to a Dahua NVR - unfortunately no IVS features. ( update - on that particular mini-bullet as far as I can tell )

Also, as they do not have IVS features from what I can tell - while you should be able to get a Dahua OEM camera to work well with their NVRs the IVS features will be missing on the NVRs interface.

Update: SOME of the amcrest products DO support IVS - just checked some spec sheets on some of their newer 8MP /"4K" Dahua OEM cameras

Last edited: