Need outdoor dome camera recommendation for Houseboat

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Run the config tool again. I just went back and looked at the screen capture. The box next to the camera wasn't checked.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ran it again. Same results. I think this is getting way too hard to configure. I truly appreciate all your help but Im going to return everything.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're going to have to get it further astern and if at all possible lower down to get get the view you're looking for. I'd suggest getting the camera and setting it up in a test stand, five gallon bucket full of sand or rocks and a 2x4-8 in it to mount the camera to. Alternately a 2x4 clamped to a step ladder.

The 5MP camera is on a 1/2.7" sensor and won't perform really well at night unless there's a good amount of ambient light for color or IR for B&W. Either the Dahua 5442 or the Hikvision are the ones to seriously consider. Bother are 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor which is a very good combination for low light. I seriously doubt any camera, within a reasonable price range, could maintain full color at night in that location. If you really want to see further at night I'd use auxiliary IR lights. As an example I have a rather large one for the back yard here. It lights up the entire back yard with IR so the cameras are seeing out to about 200-220 feet with pretty good clarity and decent quality video. You will find that the ratings from manufacturers on these kinds of IR lights are just a tad on the optimistic side.

Be aware that both the Dahua and Hikvision will need to be "tuned" in terms of shutter speed, gain, brightness, contrast and so on for your location. If left on "auto", default setting from the factory, they will both produce amazing video at night until motion occurs. Then you'll just have a blurry, ghosted image of something happening. The shutter, at night in particular, needs to be set no slower than 1/60, 16.66 milliseconds, and preferably higher to insure good motion capture.

So I got everything finally setup..but I do not know which setting you are referring to above with "shutter".. are you referring to i frame interval?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So Ive never used the Dahua software before. Please take a look at the enclosed snapshot. I changed the profile at the top to "Night". Then changed "Mode" to "Shutter Priority", then changed the Shutter to "1/60"

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
For cameras that watch people in outdoor settings, I like to use the range setting instead of a fixed shutter like you have. That way the camera can adjust its shutter within the bounds I set. Set the mode to "Manual" and then select "Customized Range" for the shutter. I then use 0ms for the lowest range and 12ms for the upper range. You can increase the upper range more of course which will let more light into the camera but at the expense of possible motion blur the longer the shutter remains open. A 1/60 shutter is equal to a 16ms shutter speed. So your range would be 0ms to 16ms for example if you wanted the upper end to be 1/60.

Read this link so you can get a better understanding on how shutter works: Shutter Speed / Exposure Tutorial

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just discovered another issue. There appears to be about a 1 minute delay in seeing video? Thats a really long time. My WIFI cameras are only about 4 seconds

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If using the live view of the camera GUI in the browser, there is always a delay. If you want live you need to connect to the RTSP feed of the camera using VLC, Blue Iris, etc...

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know Blue Iris Software ok, but I don't know how to setup this particular camera for an RTSP feed and I am recording audio from this camera as well.
Do you know how to do that for this camera? The attachment is how I have it configured now.

Attachments