Need outdoor dome camera recommendation for Houseboat

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for putting up with long drawn out answers :rofl:

Seriously, so many come here after buying the wrong camera or system, like Reolink, Wize, et al. Then get irritated when the problems with those brands are pointed out. You're doing it the right way. Glad to help.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2.8 to get the wide view with detail close up, both on the aft deck and the water just to the stern. Yes, that is correct. Thanks all for the suggestions.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
No. They do not come with a power supply. If you are going to run ethernet cables for the stern camera(s), consider putting the power source at the router end of the cable. Less exposure to the elements, etc. At this point I would price out a small 4-5 port PoE switch and compare to the cost of the power injectors.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any PoE injector rated at 10 watts or higher will work. Given that "bigger is better" the 30 watt one is fine. Locating the injector inside the boat is the best way to do it.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I purchased a EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE White 4MP IR Vari-Focal Eyeball Starlight Network Camera English Version Support POE and ePOE and cant get it configured.
This is the first time I have ever installed these types of cameras and need help.

This is the POE injector Im using: Amazon.com: PoE Injector Adapter, PoE+ Injector 30W 10/100/1000Mbps IEEE 802.3af Compliant, Up to 100 Meters (325 Feet): Electronics
I have the DATA IN going directly into the back of my ASUS Blue Cave router using a CAT6. I have the PoE Out going 100 feet using CAT6 into your IPC-T5442T-ZE.
The light is solid RED on the PoE Injector. (Solid Green light indicates that the PoE injector got 100-240V power input. Solid Red indicates the terminal equipment under the P+Data port is powered.)
When I look at devices in my router, I do not see any devices hooked up except my laptop hooked up with a CAT connection. I have 14 wireless devices and only 1 CAT.
I downloaded and installed ConfigTool, Smart Player and Smart PSS from When I click on the ConfigTool, it shows 0 devices found.
I rebooted the router with the same results.
I also tested the CAT6 using a Foscam camera without the POE and it found it fine. So I know the CAT6 is ok.

What am I doing wrong here? Again, my first time doing POE and Ive never worked with IPC cameras..only Foscam.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see 2 red lights on the front of the camera so I assume I'm getting power.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The default IP for a Dahua camera is 192.168.1.108, it is hard coded and does not use DHCP. If you're only using a single camera running through the router should be fine, but the router is blocking the camera from the PC. Plug the camera into the PC instead of the router, use the config tool and configure the camera with a fixed IP address that is out of the DHCP range of the router.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All the sudden the camera show up. See attached. But when I look in my router, I dont see 192.168.1.108. Do I need to go thru Step 2.2 "Modifying Device IP Address"?
When I type into a browser, it says "Cant reach this page". I use IPconfig to get gateway and mask... If I go into "Modify IP Address" and put Static Mode and put in Target IP as 192.168.1.108 and Subnet Mask as 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway as 192.168.50.1..it says "the IP address, the gateway or mask is not a match"
What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the IP of your PC? Unless you're on the same subnet, 192.168.1.x, you won't be able to see the camera in a web browser unless you add an address to the IP configuration of the PC. That can be done as well, but if the config tool finds it you can modify the address using that. Once you get the IP straightened out you'll be able to use a web browser and log directly in to the camera using the IP address you assign it.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do I know what subnet mask the camera is on? I'm very lost at this point

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All you need to do is open the config tool, click on the box on the left side, then click on the pencil on the right side. I believe that will let you change the IP address. I haven't used the config tool in a long time so I could be wrong. If that icon doesn't work try the next one. One of them will let you set the IP address. I'd suggest 192.168.50.250 hoping that is out of the DHCP range of the router.