Need Interior garage cam recommendation for Frigate/Home Assistant

HappyHippo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a compact two car garage that I want to put in a PoE camera for use with Home Assistant and Frigate. I'm US based. Budget is not the top priority, but hoping for under $300. I don't need full garage coverage...mainly need garage door and an adjacent wall with the entry into the house.

My interests are:
  1. Intelligent/responsive motion detection that can trigger a Home Assistant event (Analytics+?)
  2. Don't need 4K....but probably 4-5MP?
  3. Microphone (preferred, not hard requirement)
  4. Dome or turret style w/ wall mount
  5. Don't need SD card
  6. Close up focusing (hoping for 3-4')
  7. Good quality clear daytime stream, and decently good low light performance
The 2.8mm Loryta T5442TM-AS-LED was looking decent? Seems like that model is several years old...are more modern models better for my needs? Dahua N45DM62?

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

HappyHippo

n3wb
Reaction score
Would the 2.8mm be good for a compact 2 car garage? Not looking for 100% coverage. Or would vari-focal like the Empire PC-T5442T-ZE be better?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2.8mm gives a fairly wide field of view, you can use IPVM Calculator to verify

The varifocal will give a slightly wider view when zoomed all the way out. If you're fine spending the extra money that is a good option because you can really dial in the field of view to your preference

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Don't need 4K....but probably 4-5MP?
Don't chase MP's! I spent a few thousand dollars doing that! Not good! Read the various posts on this forum for all the in depth info you could ever want : )

This camera is good in daylight and at night, it is a PTZ which allows you to zoom in and out to change the FOV. I have 2 of these and they work very well in dark areas and during the day. They have built in infra red as well (and mic, etc):
Loryta Security Starlight Indoor WDR 2MP 4X Optical Zoom

HappyHippo

n3wb
Reaction score
2.8mm gives a fairly wide field of view, you can use IPVM Calculator to verify

The varifocal will give a slightly wider view when zoomed all the way out. If you're fine spending the extra money that is a good option because you can really dial in the field of view to your preference

Excellent thanks!

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't chase MP's! I spent a few thousand dollars doing that! Not good! Read the various posts on this forum for all the in depth info you could ever want : )

This camera is good in daylight and at night, it is a PTZ which allows you to zoom in and out to change the FOV. I have 2 of these and they work very well in dark areas and during the day. They have built in infra red as well (and mic, etc):
Loryta Security Starlight Indoor WDR 2MP 4X Optical Zoom
Agreed for the most part, but that camera is a 1/2.8 sensor where the 5442 is a 1/1.8. The night performance will be comparable, but I didn't realize he was looking for a PTZ, seemed like he was looking for a simple overview cam that will be able to trigger an HA automation

HappyHippo

n3wb
Reaction score
Agreed for the most part, but that camera is a 1/2.8 sensor where the 5442 is a 1/1.8. The night performance will be comparable, but I didn't realize he was looking for a PTZ, seemed like he was looking for a simple overview cam that will be able to trigger an HA automation
I don't need PTZ. Just a fixed camera to trigger HA.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could go with a cheaper cam if you wanted.

I use this in my basement for detection purposes only

Loryta 4MP 1/2.9" CMOS Starlight POE IR Turret IP Camera WDR IP67 Weatherproof Outdoor,Support IVS, SMD Plus. ,Built-in Mic, Built-in IR LED, High Image Definition, Fixed Lens IPC-T2431T-AS S2 2.8mm
The picture quality in the night isn't the best but it is good enough to detect, it all depends on your ultimate goal

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When someone does not seem to know what fov they want, best to recommend a ptz.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When someone does not seem to know what fov they want, best to recommend a ptz.
Okay - I suggested the tools he needs to calculate the FOV & also suggested that he could use a vari-focal cam which addresses the uncertainties in the FOV. A PTZ would be overkill in this situation as it seems like he is only looking for a spotter/observer cam. Regardless, I don't think it is always best to recommend a PTZ.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did not mean to step on anyone's toes. The questions posed come across as a newbie. As such I went with what would provide the most flexibility and possibly result with the least likelihood of resulting in a return.

HappyHippo

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay - I suggested the tools he needs to calculate the FOV & also suggested that he could use a vari-focal cam which addresses the uncertainties in the FOV. A PTZ would be overkill in this situation as it seems like he is only looking for a spotter/observer cam. Regardless, I don't think it is always best to recommend a PTZ.
I went with the IPC-T5442T-ZE. Thanks for the input!