Need input. GB peer to peer options?

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A guy I know wants to put two cameras in his shed. He's around 200ft away from the main house. He doesn't want to run Fiber, so are there a Peer to Peer option that can handle the 1gb speeds he wants to send to the shed?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming there's 120VAC power at the shed, does that 200 feet between house and shed have clear LOS (Line Of Sight) ?

I've installed over a dozen Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridges in the last several years but the Nanostations and Loco's of both 2.4 and 5GHz flavor have been hard to get or VERY expensive this past year or so. About the only one in stock right now is this for $60, quite overkill for your distance but you can dial back the transmit power==>> Ubiquiti airMAX LiteBeam Gen 2 5AC 5GHz 23dBi CPE US

I hesitate to recommend a pair of the TP-LINK CPE210 radios even though I put one in a week ago and it's working great BUT....all my Ubiquiti installs have been running with no hiccups for over 8 years now...time will tell about the TP-LINK wireless bridge.

If you set up BOTH radios as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge like this it'll work. Assign unique static IP's to both radios and the cam in the same subnet as your router's LAN but outside of its DHCP pool ==>> airMAX - Guide to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

If set up correctly the Layer 2 Transp. Bridge will be like a CAT-5e cable, but without the distance limitations, will be a dielectric media that won't attract or conduct ESD / lightning damage but of course, cannot carry POE voltage.

Here's the schema I've used the last several years. The above Litebeams are different as far as configuration terms but the instructions above to the Ubiquiti airMAX Guide will make that distinction between "AC" devices (like the Litebeam above) and "M" devices (the type in my image below) when configuring.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Assuming there's 120VAC power at the shed, does that 200 feet between house and shed have clear LOS (Line Of Sight) ?

I've installed over a dozen Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridges in the last several years but the Nanostations and Loco's of both 2.4 and 5GHz flavor have been hard to get or VERY expensive this past year or so. About the only one is stock right now is this for $60, quite overkill for your distance but you can dial back the transmit power==>> Ubiquiti airMAX LiteBeam Gen 2 5AC 5GHz 23dBi CPE US

I hesitate to recommend a pair of the TP-LINK CPE210 radios even though I put one in a week ago and it's working great BUT....all my Ubiquiti installs have been running with no hiccups for over 8 years now...time will tell about the TP-LINK wireless bridge.

If you set up BOTH radios as a Layer 2 Transparent Bridge like this it'll work. Assign unique static IP's to both radios and the cam in the same subnet as your router's LAN but outside of its DHCP pool ==>> airMAX - Guide to Configure a Point-to-Point Link (Layer 2, Transparent Bridge)

If set up correctly the Layer 2 Transp. Bridge will be like a CAT-5e cable, but without the distance limitations, will be a dielectric media that won't attract or conduct ESD / lightning damage but of course, cannot carry POE voltage.

Here's the schema I've used the last several years. The above Litebeams are different as far as configuration terms but the instruction above to the Ubiquiti airMAC Guide will make that distinction between "AC" devices (like the Litebeam above) and "M" devices (the type in my image below) when configuring.

View attachment 152968
Thanks TonyR,I will let him know. The line of sight is clear and there is 120v in the shed.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A guy I know wants to put two cameras in his shed. He's around 200ft away from the main house. He doesn't want to run Fiber, so are there a Peer to Peer option that can handle the 1gb speeds he wants to send to the shed?
He won't need nearly a gigabit if all he's running is 2 cameras. 8 Mbits/sec is a lot for a camera. He wouldn't need a gigabit unless he's putting his NVR in the shed.

I've installed over a dozen Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparent Bridges in the last several years but the Nanostations and Loco's of both 2.4 and 5GHz flavor have been hard to get or VERY expensive this past year or so. About the only one is stock right now is this for $60, quite overkill for your distance but you can dial back the transmit power==>> Ubiquiti airMAX LiteBeam Gen 2 5AC 5GHz 23dBi CPE US
Yup. I used a pair of NanoStation Loco M5 units for years, and they were very reliable.

If he's got 120 VAC in the shed, a pair of power line Ethernet adapters might also work. I've never used one of these myself, and they're very dependent on the structure of your AC wiring, so add a rock of salt, but they'd be cheaper than a pair of NanoStations and less affected the elements and LOS.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If he's got 120 VAC in the shed, a pair of power line Ethernet adapters might also work. I've never used one of these myself, and they're very dependent on the structure of your AC wiring, so add a rock of salt, but they'd be cheaper than a pair of NanoStations and less affected the elements and LOS.
I've used them, they work pretty good; I have had 2 sets (1 mine, 1 client's) blown up by fierce lightning here in the SE U.S., induced onto the powerline by a nearby strike. FWIW, none of my dozen UBNT wireless bridges or their POE injectors have been damaged by lightning in the same time frame.

It's a crap shoot for sure. :idk:

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The current 5 GHz radios won't achieve a full 1 Gbps throughput, but several hundred Mbps, no problem. They are a good choice.

If a full 1 Gbps transfer rate is desired with no compromises, these airMAX GigaBeam or GigaBeam Plus should do the job:

1675473905918.png

I tried running a pair of the GigaBeam Plus model for several months. At short range (20 feet indoors, not aimed properly) they got a full 1 Gbps link no problem. However when mounted outdoors about 1.2 kilometers apart, it became very difficult to get them aimed properly (these have a very narrow beam width), and at that distance the signal was pretty poor and it still got 500+ Mbps. Bigger problem was that it would sometimes disconnect and not reconnect by itself. Had to use the ping watchdog to have the radios reboot themselves. And it would disconnect and reboot itself several times a week.

Anyway I think those would be fine at short range as long as you remember, at 60 GHz frequency, any obstruction at all between the radios will severely affect the signal and may cause it to disconnect. That includes a person walking between the radios, if they are not mounted high enough to be over their head.

Eventually I upgraded that link to a pair of airFiber 60 LR and it has been a solid stable 1 Gbps since then (in both directions at the same time!), but these are overkill for a very short range link.

1675474009057.png

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys,I appreciate it. I relayed the suggestions and he's deciding what he wants to do.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update..Tried a Powerline adapter and could never get it to get stable speeds. The shed is on a Panel on the outside and the router is on another panel inside. I moved the Adapter to an outlet that was on the same panel as the Shed and it worked,but then the adapter would be out in the elements. Would have to have something to put it in. So now going to look into P2P options. Think I have talked him out of running Fiber,since just having 2 4k cams and internet out there is overkill.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So now going to look into P2P options.
That's good to hear!
FWIW, "P2P" or "p2p" stands for "Peer to Peer" meaning (generally) a QR code is scanned or a UID is enterd into an app and a "cloud" is involved.
"PtP" refers to "Point to Point" as in the wireless bridge I described in my post #2. :cool:

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's good to hear!
FWIW, "P2P" or "p2p" stands for "Peer to Peer" meaning (generally) a QR code is scanned or a UID is enterd into an app and a "cloud" is involved.
"PtP" refers to "Point to Point" as in the wireless bridge I described in my post #2. :cool:
Those CPE-210 are on sale for $39.99 right now.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I bought 2 for that price last month from amazon and installed them on Jan. 28th......customer reports after 2 weeks "working very well" <fingers crossed>. :)
For the price, I believe he wants to try it. If they don't work, he can send them back.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found the CPE-220 for $45 shipped from a local guy. Cheaper if he goes gets them.