Need help with system

Philip9134

n3wb
Reaction score
Great forum! I looked around for a while and got a lot of good info and more questions
So straight to the problem here, I bought two 3MP hikvision ip cameras DS-2CD2132-I, a poe switch and blue iris. I ran cat5 wire and connected The cameras up to my router for a trial run. Picture is great but very jumpy.I'm using an old laptop With amd processor that doesn't seem to be able to run both cameras. so my question is what is the most cost-effective way to finish my setup do I need a new computer? Or a DVR or NVR what are my options.
I would like the system to be able to either email or text my phone for alerts to see what's going on

Thanks Philip

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First confirm its your pc, does your cpu usage jump to 100 when recording? Try settings recording to direct to disc, and drop frame rates a bit. You can either use an NVR or a pc with blue iris or something similar...Blue iris will have more control over motion settings and alerts but more complex to setup and maintain. Understand that you will get false alerts unless you integrate PIR motion sensors....with blue iris one nice feature is you can set up clones of the same camera and set the alert motion threshold higher....
IF you choose the pc router, refurbished systems from dell, hp, lenovo...look for an i5/7 fourth generation haswell. They can be had for about 300-500.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First confirm its your pc, does your cpu usage jump to 100 when recording? Try settings recording to direct to disc, and drop frame rates a bit. You can either use an NVR or a pc with blue iris or something similar...Blue iris will have more control over motion settings and alerts but more complex to setup and maintain. Understand that you will get false alerts unless you integrate PIR motion sensors....with blue iris one nice feature is you can set up clones of the same camera and set the alert motion threshold higher....
IF you choose the pc router, refurbished systems from dell, hp, lenovo...look for an i5/7 fourth generation haswell. They can be had for about 300-500.
Noob question, fenderman, BI does control motion though using the IR sensors built in correct, but are there certain kikvision cameras with built in PIR that would work better with BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No exactly...IR is just an led that provides invisible light at night.... It has nothing to do with motion detection.. PIR is an accurate detector.. Google for detail...
Blue iris as well as standalone nvr uses pixel based motion.. That means it uses changes in the video the camera senses... This cause false alarms by lighting changes sunlight etc....
Hikvision makes a indoor 2432 cube camera with a pir sensor that can be used to trigger recording I'm blue iris.

worlando

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. You would think if the PIR is that much better, it would justify the cost in inclusion of the design in more cameras. Or in this instance your saying the pixel detection used in BI which should work well is not because of the age of the PC?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this is why when you hit a breakpoint cameras have alarm inputs, to wire up to physical PIR sensors... they dont include them in the camera for several reasons, one being a good PIR is not cheap and will raise the cost and the second being they tend to work better installed separate from the camera so you can aim and tune them independently.. also some people want Pet Immune sensors or Dual Tech sensors (PIR & Microwave motion detection), etc. A cheap PIR motion sensor does not catch objects walking right at it as quickly or as well as an object moving sideways across its view, this is another reason why you dont find many cameras with them built in.

most standalone NVR's come with alot of extra alarm inputs aswell... they can be tied into an existing alarm system and piggy back off its motion & perimeter sensors.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Pir should be included but implementation of outdoor pir adds cost... Mobotix has outdoor cameras with pir...
Ideally a combination of both would be best.. PIR will not detect humans at a distance or automobiles etc... But for accurate detection when I'm close proximity to the camera and almost no false alerts you want pir..