Need help with powering IP cameras

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You're just as well off using eight separate conductors, like hookup wire than using flat "ethernet" cable. I've been known to do things out of "spec" to get a job done, but that stuff will never be on my list. After seeing what a simple bend, let alone a sharp bend, does to the impedance of a cable, coaxial or twisted pair, on a TDR that stuff would produce a mountain of impedance.

gta1216

n3wb
Reaction score
Below was my original plan, but I am open to all options as I am no expert here, which is why I am on this forum asking for advice.

Inside the house... POE injector --> round ethernet cable --> female to female coupler inside the house --> transition to 6" flat ethernet cable under the window (or patio door) --> waterproof female to female coupler (outside) --> transition to round ethernet cable --> POE splitter --> camera pigtail

If the above plan is not recommended or if it's not recommended to transition so many times, I can run round ethernet cable from the POE injector to the window, then transition to flat ethernet cable under the window / patio door to the POE splitter. If I am not mistaken, the distance between the junction box to the window / patio door is shorter than the distance from the window / patio door to the nearest power outlet inside. So, if flat cable ethernet cable should be limited, I can use it on the side (inside or outside) that is shorter.

I just found this on Amazon and other websites. Not sure how well they'll perform. I like this since its thin enough to completely shut the window. I am not concerned about the patio door since its a Juliet balcony on the 2nd floor, but the casement window is on the lower level.
Our house is pre-wired with coaxial cable for cable tv. When we first moved here over a decade ago, the satellite installer couldn't figure out a way to get the cable into the house, so they ran it into the house thru the small kitchen window and used a 5" flat coaxial cable only at the window. When we switched to another satellite provider, the installer ran the cable into the house thru a roof vent. We didn't have any trouble with our satellite signal when we had a 5" flat coaxial cable at the window, but I don't know if it's different with ethernet cables.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Below was my original plan, but I am open to all options as I am no expert here, which is why I am on this forum asking for advice.

Inside the house... POE injector --> round ethernet cable --> female to female coupler inside the house --> transition to 6" flat ethernet cable under the window (or patio door) --> waterproof female to female coupler (outside) --> transition to round ethernet cable --> POE splitter --> camera pigtail
That should work just fine. Keep in mind that the only purpose of what you're doing is to efficiently get power to your camera. The video will be transmitted by WiFi.

I should also add that I agree with @sebastiantombs that you don't want to use flat Ethernet cable for a 1 Gb/s backbone, but I've never had problems using it to get 1 Mb/s video from a single camera stream using the window sill trick. And in your case, all you care about is the 48 VDC to run the camera, so it matters even less.

gta1216

n3wb
Reaction score
Any opinion on this type of flat ethernet cable? I just can't think of a way to waterproof it. https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Ethernet-Jumper-Cable/dp/B07C93VK1H

What type of round ethernet cable should I get - Cat5e, Cat6, etc? I'm asking bc I read that regular ethernet cable would deteriorate very fast if exposed to UV, but certain Cat6 is OK but they cannot be used with POE injector bc of copper wire.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to read all the replies, that have been given to you already.
It was already mentioned what wire is suitable for your usage.
Me, there is almost always a way to properly run ethernet cable to a location.
Hire a seasoned electrician, and most can do amazingly quick work of running cable without any visible damage.
I'll repeat what has been said, if you expect the camera to be reliable, don't use Wifi.

Reaction score
Any opinion on this type of flat ethernet cable? I just can't think of a way to waterproof it. https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Ethernet-Jumper-Cable/dp/B07C93VK1H

What type of round ethernet cable should I get - Cat5e, Cat6, etc? I'm asking bc I read that regular ethernet cable would deteriorate very fast if exposed to UV, but certain Cat6 is OK but they cannot be used with POE injector bc of copper wire.
I use this:
It is not advertised as waterproof, but I've found that it has held up for outdoor use as long as it is kept away from direct moisture and sunlight. If you use the waterproof female-to-female coupler, you'll find that it has a rubber grommet that tightly seals around the cable, so the connectors will stay dry.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Be it a power supply cable or a poe network cable you have the same problem of getting to the camera. There's little difference in size between a cat5e network cable and a suitable power cable so i would go for the POE cable all day long.

The outside diameter of a quality cat5e cable is 5mm. If you can't drill a 5mm hole you'll not be able to use masonry wall plugs and screws anywhere on your home. See link

Personally i would go for a neat and tidy install confirming to current electrical and building codes after seeking expert guidance. I don't believe they will but if the HOA does take issue you can tie them up in knots

You are entitled to the quiet enjoyment of your property after all

Good luck

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There isn't enough money available to offer me to buy a house where every single Nancy can stick their fat nose in the middle of my property and dictate to me what I can and can't do to my own property. That is why I own a farm and my house is a 1/3rd of a mile off the road, behind a hill, sitting in the woods. Yeah.....I can walk around butt nekid all day....luckily the deer, fox and raccoons don't have smart phones, yet.......
Indeed @Smilingreen

Freedom:

"There isn't enough money available to offer me to buy a house where every single Nancy can stick their fat nose in the middle of my property and dictate to me what I can and can't do to my own property."

imho we should find more ways to restrict the possible powers of HOAs .. developer are just making more and more of HOAs ...

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Indeed @Smilingreen

Freedom:

"There isn't enough money available to offer me to buy a house where every single Nancy can stick their fat nose in the middle of my property and dictate to me what I can and can't do to my own property."

imho we should find more ways to restrict the possible powers of HOAs .. developer are just making more and more of HOAs ...
HOA's rules and laws were formed by attorneys who lived in the HOA's. HOA's have more power than the SCOTUS and they are loophole free.....

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If I have to crawl to mow the lawn, crawl to shovel the snow, I'll never move into a place that is governed by an HOA. An HOA that serves the residents, provides a means of combining forces for the good of the community is fine, but one that dictates whether or not you can mount a camera or what kind of mailbox you can have or whether or not you can fly the American flag is nothing more than a bunch of Nazis.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @gta1216

As @sebastiantombs noted: "Do not, DO NOT, use flat ethernet cable."

Why?
Answer:
1) Flat "Cat5e/6" cables use thinner wires, and thinner wires have more issues with efficient power transmission. ( thinner wires have higher resistance ).
2) Amazon is full of fraudulent cat5e/6 "flat" cable products. These cables most certainly do not fully meet the cat5e/6 specifications. I would not trust anyone claiming to sell a flat Cat5/6 cable.
3) the Product you posted looks good for data transfer, however I would not trust it for PoE.

imho your best option is to run the power from outside, even if it is 30' ..

HOA = lesson for the day .. they suck in general.

1633907162807.png

Ref:
Do not, DO NOT, use flat ethernet cable. It will introduce too much loss and crosstalk into the signal. Flat cable may work acceptable for normal PC use but constant streaming video is a different story. Surveillance video is not at all like streaming Netflix, there is no buffering at all and very little tolerance of lost packets. The packet loss introduced by flat cable will more than likely be very disruptive to the video stream. Keep the cable protected from being crushed with a simple piece of closed cell weatherproofing foam on the window sill and it's available from the big box stores.

There are outdoor rated, UV stabilized, CAT5e and CAT6 cables available.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the land of the free this sounds draconian
indeed ... each and every county is full potential mini-authoritarians .. the USA currently we are seeing numerous Authoritarians come out of the woodwork .. like termites when you burn the woods, coming out of their worm holes from the wood they devoured

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty"