Need help with placement of Camera

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I need some advice as to where to place my IP camera's any advice is appreciated, Here is a picture of where I mounted one of them and where I would like to mount the second one
The Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IWS/2 3Mp Im not to happy about here is a picture of it installed,

Current Equipment I have

Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I 2.8mm
Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P
Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IWS/2 3Mp

The image it gives out

Last edited by a moderator:

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I 2.8mm has a 2.8mm Lens and I gotta say I'm not impressed by it prior to this I had a Flir 2.1 DNB13TF2 and by far I felt like this was a better viewing angle camera, The Image at night is horrible, I've played around with the Camera Configuration, For those of you running a Hikvision NVR you know that is quite challenging trying to access the Camera via the NVR. You have to Connect The port to a POE then to your router or switch In order for you to view the camera. Maybe I placed the camera in a wrong location? Not impressed on the viewing angle as you could tell from my picture. Any help is appreciated

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@Travieso if you enable port access/remote access on the NVR you can access all your cameras directly without having to connect and disconnect... Once you enable you can access each camera via http://NVR.Address:6500X for example http://192.168.1.13:65001 is port 1/camera 1 and http://192.168.1.13:65002 would be port 2/camera 2 on there POE NVRs.

*Update - the exact feature set to enable is "Virtual Host"* my apologies if I caused confusion above saying port access/remote access.

Also what is the issue with the "night vision" being "horrible"? I'm curious if it has anything to do with placement - reason being is I can see the eve overhang in your snapshot and my guess is your IR is hitting that and washing out the night vision. Also keep in mind the 2 and 4mp turret cameras will be best for night vision and have the .01 lux rating

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-I 2.8mm has a 2.8mm Lens and I gotta say I'm not impressed by it prior to this I had a Flir 2.1 DNB13TF2 and by far I felt like this was a better viewing angle camera, The Image at night is horrible, I've played around with the Camera Configuration, For those of you running a Hikvision NVR you know that is quite challenging trying to access the Camera via the NVR. You have to Connect The port to a POE then to your router or switch In order for you to view the camera. Maybe I placed the camera in a wrong location? Not impressed on the viewing angle as you could tell from my picture. Any help is appreciated
The flir is a dahua camera. What dont you like about the viewing angle? "better" viewing angle depends on how wide you need. You need to understand that 3mp cameras in general will have worse night vision than 2mp. This camera can be pretty decent at night if you adjust it properly (disable WDR and increase noise reduction)...You also need to properly adjust the camera so that the overhang is not visible and the door on the right is out of the image, objects like that close by will cause the camera to improperly adjust for the bright IR....post a night image so we can see what is going on.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Travieso if you enable port access/remote access on the NVR you can access all your cameras directly without having to connect and disconnect... Once you enable you can access each camera via http://NVR.Address:6500X for example http://192.168.1.13:65001 is port 1/camera 1 and http://192.168.1.13:65002 would be port 2/camera 2 on there POE NVRs.

*Update - the exact feature set to enable is "Virtual Host"* my apologies if I caused confusion above saying port access/remote access.

Also what is the issue with the "night vision" being "horrible"? I'm curious if it has anything to do with placement - reason being is I can see the eve overhang in your snapshot and my guess is your IR is hitting that and washing out the night vision. Also keep in mind the 2 and 4mp turret cameras will be best for night vision and have the .01 lux rating
I Have the following ports open through the Router and through the NVR
Server Port 8000
HTTP Port 80
RTSP Port 10554

I went and verified that the ports were open through http://www.canyouseeme.org/

I just tried hitting the NVR CAM1 (D1) Camera with the following 192.168.1.XXX:65001 and connection timed out

I Seen under System Configuration+Network+More Settings the Virtual Host Port and Checked it and went to my router and did Port Forwarding to 65001 And BAMMM I'm able to have full rights to the camera now Thank YOU SO MUCH On that end !!!

Virtual Post 65001

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What I have on it now,
Digital Noise Reduction ON
Noise Reduction Level 49%
WDR OFF
BLC Area OFF

I've also noticed that when I installed this Camera The Image looked upside so I had to Do Video Adjustment to Mirror (CENTER) other angle of installing the camera wouldn't let me angle the camera right

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Travieso It is really hard to tell with that photo of the monitor...log into the camera and take a screenshot..but certainly the wall on the right and the roof are causing issues...
Try turning ip the noise reduction to 75...try smart IR on/off...
It looks like you may have installed the camera sideways so you dont have the proper rotation...

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for Responding @fenderman
Here you go an Actual Screen Shoot

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What happens when you move the car?
It looks white and reflects lots of IR....

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
That image isn't "terrible" I have def. seen worse at night, however you are correct that it isn't what it should be. I believe a lot of the issue is the light fixture in the bottom right of the picture as well as the eve overhang in the top left. You are going to get a lot of IR reflection off of those spots.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's not a wall its the light fixture in the right corner of the image. It's too close. Looks like it was slated to get it out of the way already but not enough. Might have to just move the camera.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To get rid of having to flip the picture, rotate the physical camera and face the section of missing LEDs surrounding the lens downwards.
Correct I tried this and can't seem to get the right image doing this I ran out of room in both clockwise and counterclockwise, In other words im not sure if this makes any sense to you or not but When I put the camera the right angle it doesnt go far enough down to get a good view, This is why I had to do it in the software, Basically I think the camera is upside down do you think this is why its bleeding a lot of IR?
are they marking on the camera to distinguished whats top or bottom?

That's not a wall its the light fixture in the right corner of the image. It's too close. Looks like it was slated to get it out of the way already but not enough. Might have to just move the camera.
Correct I did have to slant the light fixture in order for it not to get on the way,

Where do you think it would be a good placement of the camera? in the middle of the garage? Basically they are fixture in both side of the garages

I marked 1 & 2 in yellow for possibilities if any has a better placement where please let me know

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What happens when you move the car?
It looks white and reflects lots of IR....
I was thinking the same thing.

OP I know this advice goes against the generally accepted advice for cleaning up a night image but turn the WDR on. I've seen WDR clean up night images like your's where there are bright reflective surfaces in the picture. Start with the WDR set to 20 and turn it up/down from there until you have acceptable brightness across the image.

If you plan to move it think about getting a wall mount so the camera can sit level.

luisv

n3wb
Reaction score
Correct I tried this and can't seem to get the right image doing this I ran out of room in both clockwise and counterclockwise, In other words im not sure if this makes any sense to you or not but When I put the camera the right angle it doesnt go far enough down to get a good view, This is why I had to do it in the software, Basically I think the camera is upside down do you think this is why its bleeding a lot of IR?
are they marking on the camera to distinguished whats top or bottom?
I don't have the 2132, but thought it was similar to the turret and mini-dome that I have been testing with in that the camera rotates in the housing and therefore you can adjust it without flipping the image in the software. Similar to this type of movement:

Not sure if you can obtain some info from this review, but these night time images / video don't appear so washed out as yours:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2542

You might have to relocate the camera to the eave above it's current placement to help with the IR glare. Maybe even more it forward of the light fixture and then you can adjust it so it sits properly rather than slightly tilted. Do you have the ability to test with placement options before making any permanent changes?

Attachments

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Luis Thanks for replying,
I'm thinking of relocating the Camera more to the middle of the garage Right now its on the left side corner by the Light Fixture, I had to Momentarily turn off the Light from the fixture because It was causing a Glare affect , Do you think by me moving it to the middle it will have a less of a view? And to answer your question I suppose I could add a few CAT5E cable and and maybe one screw on the wood to momentarily hold the camera and verify if I like that angle? Is that what you guys do? I want as much Angle to the driveway as Possible.

Thanks for your time

luisv

n3wb
Reaction score
What I have been doing is what my buddy suggested for me to do and how he started... set up the camera via it's web interface and use a single port POE injector, temporarily mount the camera to a piece of spare wood about a foot long and setup iVMS-4500 on my phone to obtain the view from the camera. I then drop a 50 - 75' Ethernet cable from the nearest window, I wired my whole house with CAT6, I use some ladders, and bungee cords, clamps, etc to test various mounting options / locations. Might not be scientific, might not be the best way to perform this, but you need to start somewhere and so far it's helping me decide where to place my cameras.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered a wall mount hopefully address the angle of my Camera in the Garage, Speaking of garages whats a good camera that does good in low lighting I don't need a 4MP Camera or anything fancy just want a decent image that does good at low level lighting. This camera well get very little footage.