Need Help with OPEN VPN and DD-WRT

james009

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I've made the decision due to reading Nayr's posts about using a vpn and decided to go with OPEN via a router with DD-WRT firmware.

Thanks Nayr first of all, I tried to message you but it wouldn't let me, but thank you for stressing the importance of using a VPN.

Long story short, Ive downloaded openvpn, generated server and client keys, pasted them into the corresponding spots in dd-wrt vpn section, but no matter what cannot seem to connect.

I am doing this before I attempt to hookup my hikvision, and before i hookup my TP-Link POE switch, which will probably cause more headache.

When connecting to the vpn locally using openvpn it just hangs and says waiting...

My question is, Nayr or anyone else, could I pay you to use teamviewer and help me through this problem remotely to ensure I set it up correctly?

If not, maybe I should post screenshots? I am excited about having a secure network but got stuck with getting OPEN VPN setup, and lastly I am hoping it does not slow down the transmission of video too much when I remotely view the hikvision, as I am on Excede (satellite) internet which has very high latency.

Thanks for any help, I have learned to much from this forum.

-James

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am on Excede (satellite) internet which has very high latency.
This could be a problem, Most Sat Internet connections wont let you connect remotely.. via VPN or any other means because your not given a routable IP address and behind a double-NAT

Make sure your router has a public accessible IP address, try http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and make sure the ports on your router for OpenVPN are accessible.

james009

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Nayr, thank you for the response...it shows there are no open ports when i check using another site, but I know there is no NAT, because i previously had 4 Foscams that I could easily access with port forwarding, so that can't be the issue.

Would it help you if I sent screenshots of the OpenVPN settings in DD-WRT? I would love to get this setup, and I think it should be easier, but the documentation that's out there is missing key pieces of information, like when you copy the keys, do you copy the begin certificate and end parts, do you copy the data before the begin certificate in the .key file, etc.

I appreciate any help you can give.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Nayr, thank you for the response...it shows there are no open ports when i check using another site, but I know there is no NAT, because i previously had 4 Foscams that I could easily access with port forwarding, so that can't be the issue.

Would it help you if I sent screenshots of the OpenVPN settings in DD-WRT? I would love to get this setup, and I think it should be easier, but the documentation that's out there is missing key pieces of information, like when you copy the keys, do you copy the begin certificate and end parts, do you copy the data before the begin certificate in the .key file, etc.

I appreciate any help you can give.
Yeah post some screenshots if you can. I had a similar issue but I was on a regular LAN connection, not Sat. I had errors with the settings that I needed to tweak.

james009

n3wb
Reaction score
So I ended up just going to Fry's and buying an RT-AC56U and it has built in openVPN support and configuration, much easier than using DD-WRT since the documentation for openvpn on dd-wrt is limited to 2 or 3 blog posts.

I recommend everyone get a router like this, for less than $100 its awesome and super easy.

I just use the android app openvpn, connect, then open tiny cam viewer and look at the cam, its so awesome. Now I'm looking for solar spotlights that are reasonably bright (not those little mpow lights on amazon) and stay on to illuminate the parking lots at my business.

Also anyone know if h264+ really saves space when recording via blue iris? Because it seems buggy as hell, video sometimes freezes or gets blocky etc.

Thanks all for the help.