Need help understanding the licensing / billing

Reaction score
Upgraded 4 to 5 when 5 first came out. My "expiration" date was 5/2020. Running the iPhone app yesterday, I got a request to update the 5.x server version. After doing the upgrade I got the blue overlay that I had a trial version. I also got a message that the service version did not match the program version. That was fixed by a reboot but I still have the overlay that I have a trial.

Looking that "update" I see that I need to pay for the update. It appears there are some value to doing an update so I selected the $28 update. However, the Blue Iris cart shows I will be renewed automatically. When did they switch to a subscription service? There is no "blue iris account" where I can log in and see what, if anything, they might have billed me in the past. I also noticed that the single camera version is no longer free.

I suspect I can uninstall the current version and go back to the one just before 5/2020 when my support "expired".

How long has BI been on subscription? DId I just notice this? I see a lot of subscription stuff on amazon, walmart and other vendors but generally it is for coffee or other consumer expendables. Microsoft, apple and adobe make it clear they are running subscription prices. It was not as obvious on BI web page as their print was small.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Its not a subscription per say. More like a support contract if you want to continue to upgrade. Been like that since inception but only recent enforced since a few months ago.

Reaction score
There appears to be no way to stop the 12 month billing No account to log into. Seems it is no different than office 365 or adobe acrobat subscription in that their apps still function, just no updates.

Possibly if I use PayPal I can cancel. PayPal does list occurring payments and it is possible to stop. Only way to stop credit card is to cancel the card. I dont mind paying the $29 fee, no problem as it looks like it works better with my iPhone app. I am not interested in a subscription. I have had a bad experience with canceling free magazine subscriptions.

[EDIT] Just notice on the app dialog box that there is a $34.95 update that is not a subscription. That info was not listed on the BI main webpage.

I also notice that on the BI web page under "what's new" they they complain about ipcamtalk (this site) but the the web page does not allow the article to be loaded. ie: there is more text written than shown but no way to read it.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There appears to be no way to stop the 12 month billing No account to log into. Seems it is no different than office 365 or adobe acrobat subscription in that their apps still function, just no updates.

Possibly if I use PayPal I can cancel. PayPal does list occurring payments and it is possible to stop. Only way to stop credit card is to cancel the card. I dont mind paying the $29 fee, no problem as it looks like it works better with my iPhone app. I am not interested in a subscription. I have had a bad experience with canceling free magazine subscriptions.

[EDIT] Just notice on the app dialog box that there is a $34.95 update that is not a subscription. That info was not listed on the BI main webpage.

I also notice that on the BI web page under "what's new" they they complain about ipcamtalk (this site) but the the web page does not allow the article to be loaded. ie: there is more text written than shown but no way to read it.
There was never a free one camera version. Office and acrobat subscriptions do not let you continue using the product after the subscription has expired. Otherwise you could sign up for a month and cancel.
As noted Blue iris is NOT a subscription. It does not expire like other subscriptions. This has been discussed a million times. The folks who bitch and complain about this are parasites on society. They want something for FREE. Well it doesnt work that way. Would you prefer if he simply released a new version each year then charge you 35 bux for it? Why do you think you are entitled to lifetime updates. What other software package does that for you? There is one vms option nxwitness/dwipvms that will give you not only lifetime updates but lifetime upgrades. It will run you about 75 PER CAMERA!
You can cancel by going to the mycommerce/shareit website which is the vendor BI uses.
As noted there is a one time 35 dollar option as well.
Yes the developer is pissed that I dont treat assholes with kid gloves. So folks go bitching and complaining to him when I boot them off this site. They dont realize that I dont need them or the blue iris developer. I will not tolerate internet pricks. They are VERY surprised when they are told off because most forums are desperate for users and and money. I am not. In fact it brings me joy. Most importantly, the blue iris developer will NEVER have any input on what I do or say on my site. This forum has not only brought him thousands of new users, but has offloaded his support demand at zero cost. Trust me if there was a better option than blue iris at this price point I would be all over it.

Flavacali

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue iris is cheap compared to all the other VMS it might take some time to get your false alerts down but it's worth it I use sentry while not great it's totally worth it for a beginner like me. I have used the paid sighthound VMS it's 250 dollars and I had many issues trying to play back the alerts from my Android app. It wasn't worth the headache and they didn't offer what blue iris offers in way if preview alert notifications. I have used milestone can only install on a windows pro not home. I have used network optix they have 3rd party add-ons for ai but it's not worth the time and headache to reach out to the 3rd party because they don't list prices if their 3rd party on their website. Even with network optix I was getting more false alerts than I was using blue iris with sentry I think I average 5 false alerts a night with 5 cameras using sentry. For 60 bucks and the upgrade price a year for blue iris you will not find anything cheaper or better especially factor in blue iris is constantly pushing new updates with better features. Sighthound takes for ever to update anything.

Reaction score
Just got an email from paypal concerning my $35 purchase from that BI website:
Instructions to merchant:
You haven't entered any instructions.
Purchase Details
Description: DRI*BlueIrisShareIt.info order xxxxxxxxx
Paypal advises me I have 180 days to get my money back.

After first contacting PayPal, Inc. at 1-888-221-1161, if you still have an unresolved complaint regarding the company’s money transmission or currency exchange activity
Something is very wrong there. Why don't they have an account manager or a forum of their own for help?

[edit] Got an email back from them. I emailed sales about my problem using paypal to buy but the reply came from techsupport. It would appear their techsupport also handles sales! ;<)

[edit2] contacting MyCommerce as they handle BI. According to MyCommerce I placed an order last night but it looks like paypal did not pay them (money not forwarded). In any event, I have not received my key.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK finally got it working. I found my key at MyCommerce. I checked my bulk and junk mail folders and there was nothing. I actually did not have to use the key. When I deactivated / reactivated my account the license was extended for a year from last night.

Username pig
password hog

feral_hogs.png