Need help picking out Equipment for remote Location- Needs to boot back up easily

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So it turns out the culprit causing the iOS apps to crash was the video codec setting as I had suspected.

Wish I would have learned this 2 months ago. I finally figured out that deselecting H.264H and selecting H.264 makes the iOS app load all cameras ok without crashing. Not sure why Dahua or myself didn't think to adjust that area. Tried frame rate and every other setting except for that one. App works great now.

2.5 months in. Lots of snow storms. Everything has been rock solid.

The ptz camera works well. It likes to loose focus at night when half the scene is water and half dock. By ideal since I like that angle during the day, but can live with it. When you zoom it goes away full wide it has a hard time with the particular scene. Happy with all the other purchases.

I really wanted to have a live jpg pushed for people to enjoy on my website but it's too complex for me. I gave up on that one.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cameras are holding up well in the snow. Lots of power outages and all the equipment has powered backup on it's own. Very happy with that!!! A few cameras got covered by the snow blowing sideways but they cleared themselves overnight. Play it back in 1080P resolution.

Last edited:

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't read the entire thread, but that looks like BB lake if I'm not mistaken?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If I post a pic of anybody's ass on here it'll be mine. So far I've managed to resist the urge. Y'all are welcome.

Then again, maybe that's zebrock posting HER ass on here? But what're the odds, eh?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome back CaliGirl, glad to hear everything is holding up well through the winter.. looks like a winter wonderland; does it sit vacant all winter long or do you have snow machines or something for year round access?

all our alpine lakes are frozen over by now..

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@Kawboy12R ,
You said "So far, I've managed to resist the urge."

Are you meant to resist ALL urges?

@zebrock ,
If Kawboy12R makes an avatar of his butt, will you change your avatar?

Jus askin.....

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Fastb Well that escalated quickly

The azz in question belongs to my wife. Sorry to hear it offended you @Q, do you need your safe space? No more than you'd see at the beach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
@Kawboy12R ,
You said "So far, I've managed to resist the urge."

Are you meant to resist ALL urges?

@zebrock ,
If Kawboy12R makes an avatar of his butt, will you change your avatar?

Jus askin.....
Resist all urges? Not at all. There's a time and a place for just about everything. Just that now isn't the time and this ain't the place. I'll give some thought to an animated gif avatar of me dancing in my hat though.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Welcome back CaliGirl, glad to hear everything is holding up well through the winter.. looks like a winter wonderland; does it sit vacant all winter long or do you have snow machines or something for year round access?

all our alpine lakes are frozen over by now..
We got visit from time to time, more my siblings then me. Neighbors have been up there a lot. Ya, we hire a snow blower to keep access open to the driveway. And we stomp and work our way over everything else. The edge of the lake froze but the winds keeps the middle moving. We had som bad flooding in that area so the lake filled back up overnight. They keep it low in the winter on purpose to absorb the flood run off and prevent the rivers from flooding downstream. Smart plan.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Fastb Well that escalated quickly

The azz in question belongs to my wife. Sorry to hear it offended you @Q, do you need your safe space? No more than you'd see at the beach.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
@zebrock you should keep a security cam on that azz at all times because if I saw it lying around I'd definitely steal it! :eek:
...did we get way off topic?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What do you gentlemen suggest for an wildlife style outdoor motion sensor to event target these areas more easily? Currently we are just looking for snow tracks the morning after and reviewing the tapes. But is there a motion sensor that could mark the recording that there may or may not have been a warm body near by?

If not available for wildlife, how about for humans?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that PTZ has alarm IO you can hook motion sensors up too... mebe your NVR also.

You'll want outdoor ones for this environment, aint found many good cheap ones that cover big areas..

Thx for sharing the montage, that's one big fucking cat.. made those yotes look tiny.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, so look for outdoor motion sensors to wire into NVR or PTZ. I will look into those. From my reading, sounds like a lot of them are designed to avoid triggering on animals but will on humans. Maybe a few down low above the snow line on the trees. Or maybe on the deck, pointing down at different angles for coverage. Too bad no ones makes easy wifi push notification motion sensors. Only one I found was this, but it is for indoors and not push notification. Amazon.com: D-Link DCH-S150 mydlink Wi-Fi Smart Motion Sensor: Camera & Photo

Ya, none of knew there were mountain lions wonder the area. I think it is pretty rare, no one has seen one in many years. But then again maybe they are out there at night and we just don't have cameras to see them. Had I not seen the big tracks I would have never known to review the tapes.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They sure are't cheap : ) But I'm sure you get what you pay for. Here is the back of it. You can adjust sensitivity from standard to intermediate. Whatever that is. Maybe that turns off pets.