Need help picking a NVR 6 to 8 cameras

Reaction score
So i am new to the whole security camera game and i was looking at the basic nest camera set up but after doing some math and everything with the subscription fees and the cameras it just doesn't make sense to me to buy those when i feel like i can get a better product and something that is more future proof that i can add on to down the road or change cameras out and so on. So what i am looking for in a home cctv set up is the following.

6 to 8 cameras would be ideal but may not be added to the system right away

I want to be able to record 24/7 it doesn't have to be for extended periods of time. Maybe 10 days at most.

I would like to be able to view my cameras remotely from a cell phone being (ios or android).

I just almost want a plug in play system. No crazy software that i have to mess around with on a computer aka (blue iris). I don't want to run a stand alone computer to run my cctv.

I would like quality video footage from the cameras. I have been looking into the dahua cameras.

More or less i just need to no if i am capable of running a IP system from the cameras to the nvr to say my router to a monitor for set up. Or do i need to run it through a computer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Read the items in the wiki. Read the cliff notes. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

The plug and play with camera access is a major security risk.
Wifi cameras can not do continuous recording, it will over load the network. Also it is easy to shut down a wifi network. Cameras need to be hardwired.

A simple quality NVR should meet your needs. (Dahua or hikvision) . Setup OpenVpn to remotely access the NVR.