Need help finding hardwired system

MAD King

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need help in finding a system for my house.
My house is a single story ranch style house with a few corners. I think 6-7 cameras will be fine. I am looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I, but I cannot find anything if it can be hardwired.
Does anyone know about this camera or may recommend another one?

I also need a recorder for these cameras.

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need help in finding a system for my house.
My house is a single story ranch style house with a few corners. I think 6-7 cameras will be fine. I am looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I, but I cannot find anything if it can be hardwired.
Does anyone know about this camera or may recommend another one?

I also need a recorder for these cameras.

Thank you
Welcome to the forum. Yes that is an IP poe camera..its hard wired with ethernet...you should match the NVR to the camera...I would recommend the 4mp turret instead of the bullet. There are literally hundreds of posts about these hikvision cameras here.

MAD King

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I searched, of course, before and was able to find only 28 threads here about this camera and many of them are about firmware upgrade.

EDIT: I am also not able to find these turret version.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the hikvision site... Look at the exir section.... The turret is superior to the bullet in every way.

MAD King

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahhhh found it. DS-2CD2342WD-I. What NVR fits on this?

EDIT: Just found this review about this camera

WDR is not good the picture is foggy in the bright area in the day time but it help at night from cars lights so you will have a good picture in the day time with WDR off or night time with WDR on I don't like it. you can't have both

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhhh found it. DS-2CD2342WD-I. What NVR fits on this?

EDIT: Just found this review about this camera
The WDR issue was present in all the 4mp cameras...even the bullet you linked to. All the optics and electronics are the same on the bullet and turret...
This has been resolved in newer firmware. You cannot base your decision on one review...many folks simply dont know what they are doing..
Not sure what specific hikvsion nvr models support this camera as I mostly use pc based vms.
If you are going to use this with a hikvision NVR, buy US region cameras and a US region NVR.

MAD King

n3wb
Reaction score
So, this is a good camera!
I was thinking about using a separate PC too, but could not find a good software for it. Let's say I choose this camera, what software would be good for it on a pc?

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking about using a separate PC too, but could not find a good software for it. Let's say I choose this camera, what software would be good for it on a pc?
blueiris would be a good pick. the hikvision cameras have their own software too but I don't have any experience with that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on your budget. How many cameras will you be using total?
I use blue iris and its fantastic, but requires are decently powerful pc for many hd cameras...only 60 dollars
There other packages out there that dont require as much horse power like exacq but will cost 50-150 PER camera in licensing.
Hikvision has their own software as well. ivms-4200

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am installing 6-7 cameras. The price of $60 is per camera use?
Blue iris is 60 total, not per camera.
If you will be installing 6-7 4mp cameras, then you need to buy a i7-4790 haswell system. You can purchase a dell optiplex 7020/9020 i7-4790 with full three year warranty from the dell outlet for under 500 when they are on sale.

MAD King

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. The cheapest pc I found is for $999, but it does not say haswell, only i7-4790

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome thank you.
FYI dell has just released the replacement line for the optiplex, with skylake 6th gen processors, however, they dont seem to be offering models with the i7 yet...