Need Clarification--How Does A VPN Protect Your Surveillance System from the Outside World?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Amcrest for example heavily relies on Port 37777, I blocked it last night through the rules list on my Netgear R7000 router, and now am no longer able to remotely review the cameras even via the VPN and through the premises. Any idea how I can work around this besides standing in front of the NVR?

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If these are the inbound/outbound rules then it should not have stopped the access via VPN, as once you are connected via VPN you are already inside.
Can you access anything else within your LAN via VPN? Network share or even the routers internal address?

Chuckv

n3wb
Reaction score
MrRalphMan is right by his question. Or maybe Armcrest works across your VPN and your VPN uses port 37777? Block 37777 and That would take down both. What port are you using for LAN remote access? Make sure that is not blocked. You're getting confused on your first deep dive man. Common. Unless you've got hours to throw at this Thumbtack or Onforce is your friend. Even your local computer club. $100 bucks and teamviewer on your laptop and you'll be up in an hour using a pro. You'll learn something in the process too. Change passwords. Get a pro. Change passwords back when he's done.