Need advice on front door placement of IPC-HDW5231R-Z

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was some special formula for placement of an ip camera at a front door? I have some of the 5231-RZ cams and I want one at my front door and don't want to start putting holes in my soffit until I can determine where to put it. I'll get some pictures to help show my setup.

Attachments

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was some special formula for placement of an ip camera at a front door? I have some of the 5231-RZ cams and I want one at my front door and don't want to start putting holes in my soffit until I can determine where to put it. I'll get some pictures to help show my setup.
There no special formula but I would place it that it get a shot of a person approaching the door and also if you receive lots of shipping package daily so you need to see it on the floor then put it in corridor setup to get a good view of the porch floor.

I use my iPhone and take photos from where the camera would be mounted to get an idea how it look, hold the iPhone in landscape to take picture for normal wide view setup or hold the iPhone in portrait to take picture for corridor setup view.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use a test rig, and make sure you check out video during the day and at night.
Seems like all the bad guys are wearing hoodies or caps these days, so think about that and don't mount it too high.

Randy

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems like all the bad guys are wearing hoodies or caps these days, so think about that and don't mount it too high.

Randy
Be sure to add a sign that says "please remove caps and sunglasses before entering" like they have on the bank doors haha

protocol57

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd get two cameras, one with a wider-lens to put near the door looking out, another behind one of the those columns to see who's on your porch.
If you can only do one, do the former...