Need advice on camera at gate.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a month or so and have started getting a BI system set up. I'm trying to figure out what camera to install at my gate which is about 1000' feet from the house. I bought a nano-station and can get 9mb/s upload from the gate.

Here's the picture from the road looking at the gate.
Gate-view.jpg
There's power and the nano-station on the left side of the gate. So I'm thinking of mounting the camera by making a plate that attaches to the left side top hinge. Here's a picture of the hinge. And I'll trim the shrubbery on the left.

Gate-bracket.jpggate-bracket-front.jpg

I thinking of making a plate that slides under the bolt and extends outward along the wall and mounting the camera to the underside of the plate.

Here's my list of questions and concerns:
1. What POE camera should I use? And one of my concerns is it could be vandalized or stolen. I don't really need high quality images, I just want to know what's going on and be able to seen when packages are dropped off at the gate from FedEx who will never press the call button on the keypad - they're too lazy.

2. Is there a better option for mounting the camera? The bracket seems like to least amount of work as I know a fabricator who does lots of stainless steel work so he has scraps.

3. There is an electric eye a few feet in front of the gate which keeps the gate open if a car parks in it. The electric eye relay is also wired into the security system, so I can get an alert when some on is coming through the gate. Is there a way to have Blue Iris email me a picture when the electric eye trips?

Thanks.

Reaction score
If you are worried about cam theft or damage, why not sink a pole on the inside of the gate and mount the cam there? See pic

1650660212893.png

It looks like the drive is compacted gravel? If so then trenching would not be a problem to get it back to the nano station. Realize that you will need a POE switch to power the cam or a POE injector minimum, so a weather proof case would be a must. If you can't trench across the drive, then put it on the same side as the nano.

Depending on how much light the fixture at the hinge side gives off, you may be able to keep the cam in color all night. If not, then that light will supplement the B&W IR image. But it may provide glare to part of your FOV.

If you decide to mount it as described, I bet the Dahua B5442E-Z4E would be a good choice there. Of course, before you final mount and dig trenches, you should do a temporary mount, like on a test rig, and make sure it gets you what you desire.

My test rig:
Test Rig.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a month or so and have started getting a BI system set up. I'm trying to figure out what camera to install at my gate which is about 1000' feet from the house. I bought a nano-station and can get 9mb/s upload from the gate.

Here's the picture from the road looking at the gate.
View attachment 125772
There's power and the nano-station on the left side of the gate. So I'm thinking of mounting the camera by making a plate that attaches to the left side top hinge. Here's a picture of the hinge. And I'll trim the shrubbery on the left.

View attachment 125775View attachment 125776

I thinking of making a plate that slides under the bolt and extends outward along the wall and mounting the camera to the underside of the plate.

Here's my list of questions and concerns:
1. What POE camera should I use? And one of my concerns is it could be vandalized or stolen. I don't really need high quality images, I just want to know what's going on and be able to seen when packages are dropped off at the gate from FedEx who will never press the call button on the keypad - they're too lazy.

2. Is there a better option for mounting the camera? The bracket seems like to least amount of work as I know a fabricator who does lots of stainless steel work so he has scraps.

3. There is an electric eye a few feet in front of the gate which keeps the gate open if a car parks in it. The electric eye relay is also wired into the security system, so I can get an alert when some on is coming through the gate. Is there a way to have Blue Iris email me a picture when the electric eye trips?

Thanks.
Test the locations you are considering before doing the hard work ..

I can easily see putting up a few cameras by the gate ..

Perhaps one at a lower level for license plates ..

Perhaps a even nice PTZ to cover the gate area if you need to pan and zoom ..

Of course, with only 9mb/s you have to watch the bandwidth ... which does limit the cameras ..

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I should have mentioned I bought a set of nano-stations 2.5ghz and tested them before proceeding to cameras.

I ordered a Loryta Fixed Lens IPC-T2431T-AS 2.8mm to test out by the left side of the gate to see how that looks.

I'm also considering a hidden camera in something like a birdhouse that can be placed in the shrubbery. I haven't found any good ideas in the forum yet, but I'll have to try different keywords.

What type of camera would one place in a dummy birdhouse? And are insects etc. an issure?

Reaction score
I have two T2431 in 2.8mm in my garage. They are ok in good light. Can be a little blurry with movement in poor light and on IR. They have a plastic locking ring with a tab to lock it in place, unlike more secure cams that are metal and lock in place with a star set screw. Since you mentioned being worried about it being stolen or tampered with, that was not a good choice.

For birdhouse hides, most use a turret form factor. The T5442 cams would be good for that. Just make sure that all holes are well insulated to keep out insects. But that is only a concern for things like wasps making homes there. I have more trouble with geckos getting into my LPR box than anything, and they really do not pose a problem.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I should have mentioned I bought a set of nano-stations 2.5ghz and tested them before proceeding to cameras.

I ordered a Loryta Fixed Lens IPC-T2431T-AS 2.8mm to test out by the left side of the gate to see how that looks.

I'm also considering a hidden camera in something like a birdhouse that can be placed in the shrubbery. I haven't found any good ideas in the forum yet, but I'll have to try different keywords.

What type of camera would one place in a dummy birdhouse? And are insects etc. an issure?
Another bird house thread

Reaction score
Also:

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got the camera and "They have a plastic locking ring with a tab to lock it in place, unlike more secure cams that are metal and lock in place with a star set screw. Since you mentioned being worried about it being stolen or tampered with, that was not a good choice. " is true, bummer. But since I'm mounting the camera with a plate at the top, I'm going to run a screw through the ring so it can't be removed without removing that screw.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got my camera installed and working. Thanks for all your help!

Here's a picture. I'm using a pair of Ubiquiti nano station M2 (2.5 ghz) with the transmitter in the attic at the highest point and the receiver 8 foot off the ground next to a tree. Right now it's on a 2x4, but I'm trying to figure out where to get a 10 foot pole about 2 inches in diameter to mount it permanently.

Gate.20220626_150828327.jpg

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Galvanized 2" posts are usually used for corners in chain link fences, so maybe check out fence companies or fencing suppliers. Lowes shows 10- and 12-foot lengths, but they are out of stock. I have seen posts in limited colors, which may be an option instead of painting if you want to camouflage or blend the post into the surroundings.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Galvanized 2" posts are usually used for corners in chain link fences, so maybe check out fence companies or fencing suppliers. Lowes shows 10- and 12-foot lengths, but they are out of stock. I have seen posts in limited colors, which may be an option instead of painting if you want to camouflage or blend the post into the surroundings.
I was going to suggest 2" rigid galvanized steel conduit until I saw the price....wow! Something I had not priced in years.
But for only a 10 ft. height then 2" galvanized EMT would likely suffice @ half of the cost of RGS.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was going to suggest 2" rigid galvanized steel conduit until I saw the price....wow! Something I had not priced in years.
But for only a 10 ft. height then 2" galvanized EMT would likely suffice @ half of the cost of RGS.
I just went to HD and got a 10'6" fence post. It's 1-3/8" diameter and certainly strong enough to support the receiver.

My next project is to start reading and understanding how to set up LPR and fine tune all the settings.