Need a IP cam for my garage. Any recommendation?

Aroa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am new here. Never use IP camera before. I am thinking to buy a camera for my garage. Any suggestion about where and what brand I should buy? Appreciate your help. Thanks!:D:D:D:D

Aroa

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Assuming it is for the inside of a normal size garage I would suggest a Hikvision DS-2CD2432F to start. It's been around a while but still a good value and not too expensive. Amazon for $123.80. Cheaper if you shop a little.

D!ngo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am new here. Never use IP camera before. I am thinking to buy a camera for my garage. Any suggestion about where and what brand I should buy? Appreciate your help. Thanks!:D:D:D:D

Aroa
I am new here too and have done some research for about a month so I'll give you my 2 cent. If you pointing the camera towards a bright back light from a darker area, and garage is known for that, make sure you get one with WDR(wide dynamic range).

Reaction score
First, what is your purpose on putting a camera in your garage?
1.Do you just want to see what is inside your garage? Get any IP camera with motion detection/night vision capability. Check with Amazon but no guarantee you will get a good one or get good support from those companies except if it made by an American companies such as Nestcam.
2.Do you just want to be notified when someone opens your garage or you forgot to close the garage without necessarily having a video or recording then get Chamberlain, Genie both have the capability to notify you and control the garage door.
3. I have seen an IP camera in CES or the news that can view and at the same time , gives you notification, recording and control the garage door. I think it is newly developed by an American company but can't remember the name. I will try to find out.
4. Since you have never use an IP camera before I, suggest you get a Plug and Play so you don't need to go to your PC to configure and open your port to connect.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First, what is your purpose on putting a camera in your garage?
1.Do you just want to see what is inside your garage? Get any IP camera with motion detection/night vision capability. Check with Amazon but no guarantee you will get a good one or get good support from those companies except if it made by an American companies such as Nestcam.
2.Do you just want to be notified when someone opens your garage or you forgot to close the garage without necessarily having a video or recording then get Chamberlain, Genie both have the capability to notify you and control the garage door.
3. I have seen an IP camera in CES or the news that can view and at the same time , gives you notification, recording and control the garage door. I think it is newly developed by an American company but can't remember the name. I will try to find out.
4. Since you have never use an IP camera before I, suggest you get a Plug and Play so you don't need to go to your PC to configure and open your port to connect.
There are many posts on this forum with lots of options for cams. You can guarantee a good camera and support of your read those posts. Why fly blind.
For example http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/2-mp.html
http://www.amazon.com/LaView-LV-PC902F2-W-Detection-Motion-Wireless/dp/B00PKO52B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456280473&sr=8-1&keywords=laview+902
Nestcam is for suckers with their perpetual monthly fee.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply admin.
I have used quite a few cameras and getting support is my biggest problem. Going to a forum to find support rather than calling them says something about the company . I supposed most of these cameras companies are Chinese owned and they have reseller only based in US. I had experienced calling them and ended up giving me baloneys. The firmware and manual translation from Chinese to English is laughable especially those cameras bought in Amazon. The set up instruction comes with a CD.
For home use , I don't care for those overkill cameras features and prices which normally catered for commercial usage. The ease of use and set up is important to novice IP camera homeowners who don't want expensive installation fees. Many American companies are now coming out with more modern technology that is easy to use and set up.
I have noticed Nelly security also sell IP cameras but I am looking for something I don't need to go to my PC to set it.
Just like the OP, I will look around the forum for recommendation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply admin.
I have used quite a few cameras and getting support is my biggest problem. Going to a forum to find support rather than calling them says something about the company . I supposed most of these cameras companies are Chinese owned and they have reseller only based in US. I had experienced calling them and ended up giving me baloneys. The firmware and manual translation from Chinese to English is laughable especially those cameras bought in Amazon. The set up instruction comes with a CD.
For home use , I don't care for those overkill cameras features and prices which normally catered for commercial usage. The ease of use and set up is important to novice IP camera homeowners who don't want expensive installation fees. Many American companies are now coming out with more modern technology that is easy to use and set up.
I have noticed Nelly security also sell IP cameras but I am looking for something I don't need to go to my PC to set it.
Just like the OP, I will look around the forum for recommendation.
You are misunderstanding how these companies operate. They dont support end users intentionally because they dont want to be called by someone who doesnt understand what an ip address is. If you buy from companies who market to end users you will get support. For example laview. They rebrand hikvsiion and have excellent support. Not sure what features you are refering to that are "catered to commercial use"....most functions or features in the hikvision cameras are useful to home end users.
Ease of installation should only be a small factor in calculation cost. For example, nest cameras that are very easy to install have a yearly fee, 100-300 dollars!!!! They are for suckers. They also have SEVERE limitations compared to standard ip cameras. Not sure what "american companies" you are referring too, tell us.
User forums are a primary avenue for support for many products including "american". Companies large and small rely on user forums to dish out support. If you think buying a 100 dollar camera entitles you to hours of network support then you are mistaken.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
believe it or not consumer end use is a tiny tiny lil fraction of the pie, Security Cameras are almost always installed by and for professionals and businesses.. the camera makers just make cameras, the vendors are who should support them..

consumer cameras make you pay out the ass for a cool box, a bunch of marketing, and a room full of google bots to help you set everything up.. so naturally they cost many times more.

This is just OEM vs Retail, if you cant build a computer dont buy OEM components.. they wont have any sympathy when u break connections off.