Need a good PTZ, but smaller than SD5A425XA-HNR

mecham56

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys!

We're in the install phase for our cameras around our property. I guess I should have looked at camera sizes a little more closely, as the SD5A425XA-HNR PTZ camera I ordered is too big for the location that I have it planned for. (See photo). You can see the wiring location at the corner of the roofline by the stone. What's a great PTZ that would work in this spot? Thanks!
IMG_7343B1CA9B69-1.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 49225 is a great PTZ and our trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY has them on sale for a few days:

This thread shows some size comparisons. Looks like the 49225 is about 4 pounds lighter.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

We're in the install phase for our cameras around our property. I guess I should have looked at camera sizes a little more closely, as the SD5A425XA-HNR PTZ camera I ordered is too big for the location that I have it planned for. (See photo). You can see the wiring location at the corner of the roofline by the stone. What's a great PTZ that would work in this spot? Thanks!
View attachment 112333
Hi @mecham56

What's the functional requirements? how much zoom? how good in low light? wild life camera? sunset camera? watching driveway / street?

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys!

View attachment 112333
Are you concerned about cosmetics or function installed at this location? There is not a huge cosmetic difference between the SD5A and the 49225. I have both and while the 49225 is smaller, they will be equally noticeable at that location on your home. If, OTOH, your concern is function, then the corner mount @gansle mentioned should work nicely at that location. @mat200 asked about your desired use case so that alternative PTZ cameras might be suggested. If you want tracking, the 49225 is the most cost-effective followed by the SD5A. Smaller Dahua PTZ cameras don't offer the tracking feature.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also have a Dahua PTZ without tracking that is much smaller (SD1A404XB-GNR), but the zoom range and low light performance are at a substantial disadvantage compared to the 49225 and SD5A. It's an entirely different class of camera. The SD1A would likely fit nicely in that location and be cosmetically unobtrusive if those are your priorities. Depending on how much light you have, the 2MP version of the SD1A will be better for low light conditions.

BTW @wittaj is an expert at setting up a non-tracking PTZ with spotter cameras to simulate auto-tracking performance, provided you have sufficient number of other cameras on the property to act as spotters for your PTZ. If you go with a non-tracking PTZ option, give him a shout. He has helped many here with their setups.

mecham56

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you concerned about cosmetics or function installed at this location? There is not a huge cosmetic difference between the SD5A and the 49225. I have both and while the 49225 is smaller, they will be equally noticeable at that location on your home. If, OTOH, your concern is function, then the corner mount @gansle mentioned should work nicely at that location. @mat200 asked about your desired use case so that alternative PTZ cameras might be suggested. If you want tracking, the 49225 is the most cost-effective followed by the SD5A. Smaller Dahua PTZ cameras don't offer the tracking feature.
A little of both. It's a very large camera for the front corner of our house, but also without running a junction box or making changes to the area and the cables, I just don't think the camera will fit in that spot, regardless of the mount.

So this is "technically" the smallest camera that is available that offers auto-tracking built in? Or rather, the 49225 is. It's a touch smaller.

mecham56

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @mecham56

What's the functional requirements? how much zoom? how good in low light? wild life camera? sunset camera? watching driveway / street?
Functional requirements: Not 100% sure about zoom, I'd say 4x minimum. We have a corner street light that seems to always be on at night, so there's a good amount of light. It's east facing, so no sunset. The primary function is driveway monitoring and tracking the corner of our house. We get lots of visitors (whether we are expecting them or not) and want to have tracking eyes on that specific corner.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Functional requirements: Not 100% sure about zoom, I'd say 4x minimum. We have a corner street light that seems to always be on at night, so there's a good amount of light. It's east facing, so no sunset. The primary function is driveway monitoring and tracking the corner of our house. We get lots of visitors (whether we are expecting them or not) and want to have tracking eyes on that specific corner.
Hi @mecham56

"4x minimum" - that's more of a technical requirement .. the functional requirements come before that ..

Example: possible ID image capture of someone on the sidewalk before they walk on the driveway or walkway to the house ..

Last edited:

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The moment you define "tracking" as a must have, you are looking at the 49225 (least-cost) or the SD5A you already ordered. The size difference between the two is noticeable if you have them sitting side-by-side 10 ft away, but for your installation, the size difference is inconsequential. They will both be noticed by neighbors and visitors.

mecham56

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @mecham56

"4x minimum" - that's more of a technical requirement .. the functional requirements come before that ..

Example: possible ID image capture of someone on the sidewalk before they walk on the driveway or walkway to the house ..
My mistake =). Being able to identify someone from the sidewalk 30-80ft away is probably the strictest requirement.

mecham56

n3wb
Reaction score
The moment you define "tracking" as a must have, you are looking at the 49225 (least-cost) or the SD5A you already ordered. The size difference between the two is noticeable if you have them sitting side-by-side 10 ft away, but for your installation, the size difference is inconsequential. They will both be noticed by neighbors and visitors.
Is that strictly with Dahua? Or does that include other manufacturers? As long as it's works with Blue Iris, I'm okay to consider other brands.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My mistake =). Being able to identify someone from the sidewalk 30-80ft away is probably the strictest requirement.
Hi @mecham56

I just wanted to share the general process here ..

Example of process to determine needs based on ID distance.
1) Determine distance of the subject you want to ID from the camera.
2) Look up DORI info, see the DORI section in the cliff notes. ( note, some of us like to use 100 ppf for our calculations as we feel it works a bit better than lessor numbers .. )
3) Determine resolution / fov parameters.
4) check for cameras which may meet that.
5) evaluate the other specs, such as sensor size ..
6) this should result in a narrowed down selection of cameras.

Of course, it is possible to work the calculations backwards .. that is pick a camera and check if it meets the specs ..

Naturally any camera we pick still is a guess, as real world testing sometimes shows that theoretical equations do not match real world cases well enough.
( i.e. Reolink really stink in the real world.. specs seem ok from the sheets if you only look at price, MegaPixels, and FOV .. )