Need 2.4 wifi cams for checking on parents....simple, cheap

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was asked by a friend wife if it was possible to install 3-4 cameras inside to look in on her aging parents. I havent looked t that style of camerads, but several are available as "pet / baby cameras"

She wants something her husband can hook up easily so she can view inside their small home on any occasion she wants too.

After asking if they had internet - thay have " Spectrum" I sent her a link to a couple of Reolink cameras that work off wiFi. I only opted for reolink due to their market share on consumer cams and feel like the app and cams would work ok for her intended purpose. She isn't trying to intergrate any smart home features. Just ability to "look in" when she wants.

Looks like she may need to purchase longer power cables? USB seems to power the cams like charging a phone.

Her husband is an old friend and considered a quality tech for NCR who he's worked for over 30 years.

The cams i told them to look at sit on a table, have PTZ and two way audio. - but i have no experience with this type camera.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dang i can't type or spell... the cameras would go in their parents home. They do have internet. Wants simple, easy. The parents would not be involved in any manner, other than a simple instruction to respond to her voice to say"yes, we're fine..looking forward to your arival this weekend"

With the ability to spy on them, without them "parents" having to do anything. The word spy is mine alone.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, since you are aware of all the issues with letting cameras on the internet and cloud based and what not, there is that security risk, so in that case I would go with a name brand over some unknown camera.

Not that a name brand will be more secure, but one would hope it would be and would be more likely to push out an update.

These are pretty common here and are plug in play

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.