NAS Storage Full, cameras stop recording...

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I purchased several DS-2CD2042WD's (USA retail box) running firmware V5.3.8 build 151224 to record stalls and paddock turnouts.

I set up a 1TB share for each camera on my NAS and initialized the storage to record video. I set up the cameras identically (each to a different share) to record on motion only, with 30-second lead-in and lead-out. I am recording video at the highest possible resolution/bitrate for maximum quality.

This has been working great for about a month.

Several days ago the cameras stopped recording.

I assume this is because the NAS storage has reached the 99% threshold I set when I initialized it.

However, on the "advanced" tab (see picture 1) I checked off "overwrite"... which I assume would mean continuously overwrite what is on the NAS as space is needed.

No?

Is there a way to "clean up" old files? e.g. can I simply delete all the image recordings over, say, 2 weeks old without messing up the various hikvision system files (which I assume contain indexes to those files) that exist on the share?

Or, is there a cleanup utility I can download and run somewhere?

Anyone else run into this problem, and, if so, how do you resolve it?

Thanks,

Attachments

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No solution thus-far. I attempted to contact the vendor I acquired the cameras from, but they have not been able to address the problem.

My NAS is a linux-based system. I re-initialized all the shares (deleting files was not an option, as I later found out, the files are pre-written as zero length files and indexed by the camera, so deleting files results in the camera thinking the share is "uninitialized", but I digress), and I am waiting for them to fill up again. Then, I am going to attempt to run this script:

cd /data
for i in list_of_my_camera_share_directories ; do
cd /data/$i
echo `pwd`
find ./ -name *.mp4 -mtime +21 -exec cp /dev/null {} \;
done

This will zero out (but not delete) any file in excess of 21 days old.

Going to see if it works in another month.

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but I found firmware version 5.3.8 build 160126. On the hikvisioneurope website it is listed as "V5.3.8(Temp,repair NAS)". There are no release notes, so I'm not sure what the NAS repair references. I am currently running this firmware on a XC-2T42WDI8 with no problems. I am using NAS storage and I believe it is overwriting files on the share.

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Front-ends/01--IPC/R6 platform (2X22FWD, 2X42FWD, 2X52)/V5.3.8(Temp,repair NAS)/

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Admittedly I am not overly familiar with HikVision's firmware files. How can I tell if that particular firmware is compatible with my camera? Or, do they standardize on one processor platform and use a single firmware image across multiple camera products?

strikecom

n3wb
Reaction score
I just updated my DS-2CD2042WD-I with it, so it should work. But now it doesn't even accept my NAS credentials anymore and cannot initialize the storage. So not sure if you should update...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks.

I recall reading somewhere HikVision cameras actually use a Linux OS. I wonder if the firmware file actually contains a root file system you can mount and make modifications to... I'll have to rummage around a bit on various threads and see if I can find more technical info on this. I haven't spent a significant amount of time fooling around with the cameras (didn't want to, to be honest -- I'm a system engineer by profession and really didn't want to have to do "work" at home :)). I see a few firmware threads here in this forum, but, are there any other forums with a more technical discussion of hacking the HikVision firmware people may be aware of?

strikecom

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded to V5.4.0 and had no changes until I reformatted my drive. It's now up and running again and I will watch if overwriting is working now, too.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I upgraded to V5.4.0 and had no changes until I reformatted my drive. It's now up and running again and I will watch if overwriting is working now, too.
5.4 definitely is. I tested with one camera yesterday, on a small 16GB share. I'd get about 2 hours of video before the share filled up, and on "playback" I could see the old stuff being removed to make way for new recordings.

strikecom

n3wb
Reaction score
Are emails still working for you? My gmail setup has problems connecting to the server... Switched to port 587 and TLS and is now running again...