N222AL12 - trying to choose between back light options at front door (pics included)

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it on an 8ft 2x4 (at about 5ft) for testing at the front door. Having trouble dialing this in to get the near field light enough, but not overexpose the street. except for the Backlight options, everything else is at default. This seems like the scenario that WDR is made for. Thoughts as to other options I should test out?

Time Stamp = description (in order)
42:58 = BLC customized on the yucca
40:13 = WDR @ 100
39:20 = WDR @ 51
57:55 = WDR @ 0
34:37 = no backlight options on.

BLC - custom on yuccaWDR @ 100
N222AL12 - WDR 51.pngN222AL12 - WDR 0.pngN222AL12 - no backlight options.png

EDIT: after reading this I wonder if this camera just has Digital WDR since it says one of the symptoms is it brightens the dark but does not affect the already bright areas.

Last edited:
Reaction score
this first picture looks the best to me. i was looking out to the street. but for near the door the middle picture on the left looks good. you should get someone to stand at the door and see what it looks like.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@djernie - I agree. Looks like I'm going to have to compromise as I can't find a way to get both to look good. I left BLC on at night and the from where my driveway lights hit the picture and out it looked great, as one would expect. I think I'll end up with WDR on both day and night since I'm really using this for near field. Just frustrating as I thought the whole purpose of WDR was to help both look good.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@djernie - I agree. Looks like I'm going to have to compromise as I can't find a way to get both to look good. I left BLC on at night and the from where my driveway lights hit the picture and out it looked great, as one would expect. I think I'll end up with WDR on both day and night since I'm really using this for near field. Just frustrating as I thought the whole purpose of WDR was to help both look good.
imho, you need to decide what you're looking to secure. Are you trying to see the door or the street. With the two areas compared, I think you're comparing apples to oranges. For example, one is really close, one is far away. One is dark(er) and the other is bright. I'll be watching this as it would be awesome to be able to cover both with one camera but I can't imagine it.

I've been wrong before though...

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Or....maybe consider trying to turn your camera to get more of the approach. I turned my camera view sideways and then turned the view a little to get more of the approach. Now I can see packages left as well as anyone approaching. (I have cameras on the front of the garage to see anyone before they ever get to this area as well.)

Front_Door.20200421_133223856.jpg

Actually, as I was typing this up, this guy just left something on my front door.

Attachments

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@area651 - I will try the corridor mode as well since I have my test rig up; good reminder. Though I like the camera at 5.5-6 ft (at the front door) vs higher above the door.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
And please do test with a human moving in the scene. Its relatively easy to get a great looking static scene that goes to crap once you introduce movement.