Mysterious camera IP address problem (fixed)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Can someone help with a network problem that has me stumped? It's isolated to a single windows computer. It reared its head when I replaced a Dahua 2231 camera with a Dahua 5442 camera. The 2231 was on ip address nnn.nnn.nnn.228 in my network. I changed the 2231's IP away from .228 and placed the new 5442 onto .228, and it didn't work. Further investigation reveals:

• While at IP .228 the 5442's login dialog won't come up in the browser, but the NVR and Config Tool talk to it ok.
  • Change the 5442 to another IP address and it works ok.
  • Change a long working camera to .228 and it doesn't work (same issue as the new 5442).
  • Put the 2231 back on to .228 and it works ok.
  • Behavior identical with multiple browsers.
  • Throughout all the IP address changing, IP scanner results are as expected, and mac addresses correctly follow the cameras.
  • Other windows and linux machines on the network work ok with the 5442 at IP .228.
  • Windows reboot and /flushdns didn't help.
  • Router reboot didn't help.

So in the end, I have one machine that won't work right with any camera at IP .228 other than the 2231. It must be something simple, but what?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't need to mask your internal LAN numbers.

Try deleting the browser cache. I have seen this happen when setting up cameras on default IP and clearing the cache fixes it.

f1restarter

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check that the subnet mask is exactly the same also. (Most likely 255.255.255.0 if it a standard class C ip range) and also that the gateway is nnn.nnn.nnn.1 in your example

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Bingo! on clearing the browser cache, with big thank you for the fast and easy solution. I can't imagine how I never ran into this before now. In the process I learned that it looks like Pale Moon, Firefox, and Brave share the same cache, while Maxthon and IE each have their own. If I had higher self esteem I'd admit how many hours I first wasted thinking it was a camera problem, then a network problem, and a few more things before seeking help here.