My Speeding Dectector Setup

Ace844

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is really cool. Needs to talk to a computer so you can stored data. Unless it does the too. Check on a Dahua unit last year it was over 10k and you need one for each direction. I may check on it just to amaze myself.
It talks to computers
The system is secure, encrypted and cannot be compromised. From the moment the device captures a video or image-based evidence of the violation, the result files are encrypted and cannot be altered – and instantly transmitted to a central server through an encrypted channel.

Last edited:

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you notice where Gymratz had found a JSON service which returns the VIN, make, model, year, etc. of a vehicle with only the plate and state? It returns maybe 90% of the queries. It will even point out if a vehicle had been flooded, in an accident, or had more than one owner. Works day or night, but doesn't return the color. Just substitute PLATE and STATE for the specifics:

https :/ /www . autocheck . com/consumer-api/meta/v1/summary/plate/PLATE/state/CA
OK, Finally finished the code to pull data from API on autochk. I store the vin, and model data.
The data decodes as a python dictionary inside a python list. Once I figured that out the rest was easy enough.
Next to add code to invalidate a bad plate number.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well I'm still playing with my setup but interesting things have happened. Neighbors have been very helpful. Some even enjoying the results. The local police have clearly tried to make a presence on our street (thank you). We also have had some local trouble and I'm more than willing to share video with my neighbors. I even offer to let them have access to the BlueIris website. The street has about 7-8 cameras pointed at every angle possible.

I predicted after turning the unit off for 3 months that the speeding would return back to the original levels. I'm happy to report I was wrong. Speeding rates seems to be double from 5 to 10% but nowhere near what they use to be. Max rates are up. We are hitting 50 mph in a 25mph a few times per week. Lots of 40-50 as well.

LPR cameras need to be adjusted again avoiding the signage ruins the quality of the LPR hits. The cameras still suck during night/day transition.
The speed sign will be turn back on shortly. We are playing with the sign switching software, and want to add some special surprises.
Lastly we added the API autochk website to validate a hit on a plate.

We are having trouble with a particular mustang. He is/was putting on a noise show for the entire neighborhood. The town was put on notice, and our councilman agreed the mustang is well known. I'm sure he has been warned by the powers that be. However he just has prove his point once in a while.
So it's time to find where he lives. Load my van up with a nice big amp with sub woofer and pay my respects ;)

Lastly we have the rich MF'er that owns the local drug store down the street. He lives a half a mile away yet he needs to do 45-50 in his SL400 to and from work. Complained to his wife and I guess he thinks 38mph in a 25 mph is good enough.

Black Mercedes - Algood Drug Store Owner

Need to work on this one.

Oh ya Dave Roland is that your corvette I have a clear shot of? You prick!

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well the saga of the mustang noise show is getting interesting.

I have shared access to the cameras with my local neighbors. Apparently two different Mustangs took upon themselves to put on a show in front of my yard. One actually stopping to put on the show.
I mustn't hear them too well. Well one was a black mustang E-49381, Black Mustang with silver top E-49448. Which then lead us to go back in history and find red, E535565, blue E28829.
All fit the neighbors descriptions. The letter E in the plate puts them all in the same club, local town EMTs!!!
The gentleman in the black mustang is about mid 40's, you would think he would knows better?

What upsets me is it's clear the police gave these people a "word to the wise" but they just couldn't refrain from being a group of stupid fools.

Time to get the entire town involved. Putnam County employees with special "E" plates get caught harassing Cooper Rd residents. Sounds like a good headline. Their excuse? "I wasn't driving the car"
We need an enforceable noise ordinance in Algood, TN following MTAS guidelines. Not this "unreasonable" bs we have now. You can thank the the Putnam County employees for that backlash.
It's also was easy to find all the speeding sheriffs as well. They have "E" plates too. What is it? Law and order when it suits you? We aren't talking about the 2 miles over that the local police use to use in our town. This was when we didn't have a Walmart. Now we don't need the cash.
You people had to be over 10 miles over to get a snapshot of you.
We will find where you live, and bring the party to your neighborhood. How would you like that? Sounds fair? Doesn't it?

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow, I sent my town contacts the details, and received an immediate reply from both my Chief of police, and councilman. The matter is being looked into and they absolve themselves of any control of the "E" plates.
Something strange is going on with the "E" plates that I don't understand yet. When looking at my record history I find lots of "hot cars" with "E" plates. I have noticed them speeding through Cookeville many times. My neighbors are hunting the scofflaws down. Walmart, and local stores are easy places to find them. We know they live close by.
The bigger play in my book is did we undercover a loop hole and abuse of the TN "E" plate system?

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Resized_Screenshot_20210321-182324_Samsung_capture.jpeg
Wow, I sent my town contacts the details, and received an immediate reply from both my Chief of police, and councilman. The matter is being looked into and they absolve themselves of any control of the "E" plates.
Something strange is going on with the "E" plates that I don't understand yet. When looking at my record history I find lots of "hot cars" with "E" plates. I have noticed them speeding through Cookeville many times. My neighbors are hunting the scofflaws down. Walmart, and local stores are easy places to find them. We know they live close by.
The bigger play in my book is did we undercover a loop hole and abuse of the TN "E" plate system?
My neighbor called the city clerk. She found one that "E" plates are allowed to speed with no warning lights. They won't be pulled over.
No wonder I saw a charger with an "E" plate, speeding in Cookeville going nowhere important. Now it makes sense.
They state that everyone who has one of these plates is in some verified emergency capacity.

We are looking at changing the town's vehicle noise ordinance. Right now there is no measurement just the word "unreasonable".
Called my state legislator to start working on him to change the rules for "E" plates. I am wrong in thinking people speeding with no warning is dangerous? I know of police hurting innocent people this way.

So 40 year old man who works as an EMT driving a very nice black mustang. It was worth putting up with your bullshit harassment for a year. You really are a dumbass.
I take it he is the ring leader? The one who is blaming his kid? So did you all guys get all your kids to pull that stunt? Thanks for pissing off the entire two neighborhoods. You know the one where the councilmen lives?

Resized_Screenshot_20210321-182324_Samsung_capture.jpeg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sometimes I think an RPG/bazooka is going to be the only cure. The speed limit on our street is 25. It's pouring rain outside. I just watched a compact SUV blow by doing at least 50-60. People have no sense and nothing going on between their ears.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sometimes I think an RPG/bazooka is going to be the only cure. The speed limit on our street is 25. It's pouring rain outside. I just watched a compact SUV blow by doing at least 50-60. People have no sense and nothing going on between their ears.
The bulb check on the sign is very effective. There still 20% that will still speed in spite. Thats when you need the support of the town and the police.
Between you and me we are testing an ultrasonic speaker effectiveness next. ;)
Before Covid we had the speeder rates below 5 percent. It had to pop to 40 percent during the first months of covid. The not talked about raids on Walmart food supply were quite interesting. I hope they enjoy the boxes of can good those few people horded. Hopefully they donate it.
Nobody wants the speeders in their neighborhood, then they get in a vehicle and speed in somebody else's front yard.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow (that you would have to do that).
Maybe I'll get berated for this, but there is some roads here in Houston with STUPID low speed limits for no reason, and then they put those stupid speed signs that show your current speed and flash at you (Which at night, I feel are MORE dangerous, as I'm now looking at a useless sign, not the road) and I always try and max out the sign...

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe I'll get berated for this, but there is some roads here in Houston with STUPID low speed limits for no reason, and then they put those stupid speed signs that show your current speed and flash at you (Which at night, I feel are MORE dangerous, as I'm now looking at a useless sign, not the road) and I always try and max out the sign...
Anything below 25 mph is unreasonable. They do that to try to lower the speeds. It doesn't work. You can't bag people for going 2 miles over the limit, so they lower the limit.
The speed feedback signs don't work for more than a day or two. 20% go fasting to challenge the sign. You have to video record the offenders and do something with the data to be effective.
Which leads in my case to public employees abusing their privileged stopping in front of the house and revving the engine for the last year. Clearly that is harassment. Too bad they pissed off a lot of neighbors.
The correct thing to do is either fire them or pull they "E" plate. TN is all about individual rights even when it oppresses other people rights. The good old boy, who do you know crap.
No berating, you are like every other inconsiderate thoughtless human being. If it was your neighborhood I would hope you would feel differently? Once you leave your home it's screw everyone else. These are normal feelings, and actions.
My town is filled with roads with vehicles doing double the speed limit. They put the speed feedback signs up knowing they don't work. People are not honorable on average when they think they are anonymous.
Plenty of lame excuses once they are caught and confronted. Very rarely does it go well. They normally jump out of the vehicle to intimidate the person.

Despite what a local police officer stated, I highly recommend you NOT confront people, that's what the police are for. Too bad it is extremely difficult to get them to do the job. If the town/state needs money, then they are pros.
My neighbors have had enough. I'm starting to see signs put up by regular folks across Cookevile and Algood, asking people nicely to slow down. Nice doesn't work either.
Short of using a baseball bat, exposing the frequent and excessive speeders is the only best legal hope.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Regarding the confrontation, I confront people leaving trash outside my house, usually with open carrying my pistol. So far I have been very effective at getting people to not come back, the police not so much

They said call the police and wait for them to handle it. Issue is, when they show up 10 hours later, the people are gone

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The street in front of a residential house is typically 25 mph, if it’s in a neighborhood. I have the same issues with people driving 50. We don’t have sidewalks , so if you walk or have kids riding their bikes you are in the street. My driveway points downhill to the road.

I’ve done speed monitoring using CV and a side view camera. Nothing too exciting and no LPR. However, my thought to deal with speeders is to have my raspberry pi release a basketball down by driveway, timed when the CV system detects a speeder. If you are going 50, you are going to hit the ball, slam on your brakes or both. I’m hoping the speeder would realize the ball could well have been a child running into the street or a child could be running after the ball.

Maybe not the best plan, but it’d make for some good videos to post.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Regarding the confrontation, I confront people leaving trash outside my house, usually with open carrying my pistol. So far I have been very effective at getting people to not come back, the police not so much

They said call the police and wait for them to handle it. Issue is, when they show up 10 hours later, the people are gone
lol thanks for making my morning.
Sadly you are absolutely correct. In my case, they will use you can't prove it. Even when you can. They knew full well what was up.
A state so uptight about individual rights they seem to have no issues taking others right to peace, quite, and safety.
If did as you those people would have the police questioning me in no time.

Thanks for the morning laugh.

Laserray

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The street in front of a residential house is typically 25 mph, if it’s in a neighborhood. I have the same issues with people driving 50. We don’t have sidewalks , so if you walk or have kids riding their bikes you are in the street. My driveway points downhill to the road.

I’ve done speed monitoring using CV and a side view camera. Nothing too exciting and no LPR. However, my thought to deal with speeders is to have my raspberry pi release a basketball down by driveway, timed when the CV system detects a speeder. If you are going 50, you are going to hit the ball, slam on your brakes or both. I’m hoping the speeder would realize the ball could well have been a child running into the street or a child could be running after the ball.

Maybe not the best plan, but it’d make for some good videos to post.
You will have to act stupid when they come question you.
It will prove your point. On narrow two lane roads 50 mph is too fast to stop for a adult, pet, child, or ball.
Check your cameras, those people are also texting while they are going 50.

Ace844

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok talking to sales rep today. They have a new vidar unit coming out soon. Should be between 4-6k each. Need two for each direction.
Not sure how well it will work. Definitely want one to test. Will post when I actually get one.
Can you share any details about the new cam?