My resident nesting great horned owls

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's a link to my nesting great horned owls. I think this might be day 1 of #1 egg. Here's a bit of info about the cams I use.. When I wanted to update my wildlife cams I came here to read up on what to buy. That was three years ago. In Sept I replaced my Dahua cam that was nothing but trouble with an Amcrest. I also added a amcrest turret cam above the nest. These cams have been problem free. I want to thank Jack who I met through this forum and has patiently helped me for three years through all my issues. He has been a blessing so I named my owl after him and his wife Carol.
I got my first wildlife cams in my yard since 2003 and started my website www.okiebirdcam.com. I have the two owlcams and our deercam with 24/7 video and audio. I have always enjoyed sharing my cam and for many years had schools that kept my cam running for their classroom to watch wildlife .Then the plugin crap happened and there wasn't one for Chrome and the only way to stream video live was through a third party and pay. So my only option is to use a free one, RTSP.ME. It's a bummer cause it only allows 10 min at a time making it too much trouble for teachers to have running in a class room. Anway, my roof cam is about 35' away-Amcrest IP2m-863e-ai. 25x zoom and I have the audio in an attic vent since it is way too sensitive and the wind noise was horrid. Then in Jan of this year I added the Amcrest turret cam above the nest to see in the barrel IP5M-T1179EW. It is wonderful unless the wind is blowing since the mic is on the cam with no way to protect it from the wind. I love these cams and I'm so thankful to have found Jack cause I wouldn't have my cams without his guidance. I thought people might enjoy seeing cams being used for something other than surveillance. On youtube under the "About" tab I have the info about my barrel I put in a tree 15 years ago. If you want to see my youtube videos of my owls please subscribe to my page. Enjoy!

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This confirms today is day one for the first great horned owl chick. My friend Jack emailed me after I sent him my video and of course he found better footage from today at 5 when Keith came home. I don't understand why sometimes she spooks off the nest and some times she sits tight. You would think with a new chick, she would sit tight. I added a 20 second clip showing her spooked of the nest at 4:24 AM. It shows the egg cracked and I could see the chick moving around in the egg. I have got to get a camera below to see what spooked her off the nest in the middle of the night. I also added the footage showing Carol coming back to the nest after Keith came in the house. I promise I won't bore you by posting videos of every exciting moment. You will get tired of watching and I will get burned out before the owlets fledge. Anyway, I am thrilled to see this wee ones arrival. I am a happy hooter. Thank you for watching! https://youtu.be/pwl8IvcWvKM

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Having the cam above the barrel looking in, has been a whole new experience this year. I'm not sure if I am going to like people seeing 100% of what goes on. I am terrified my owls will bring in a neighbors cat :( I am in the process of getting a NVR hooked up so I don't have to use the PC NVR. I haven't quite got it figured out yet. This is not my kinda work. I find it stressful. Thank you for your kind words.