My friend has a stalker: Short and long term solutions?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
This was not specifically addressed, but maybe a moot point. She needs to stop using his relatives for cleaning her house. Even not use friends of that cleaning lady. Get a totally different cleaning person.

Also, she must never tell the cleaning folks anything about her routine or when she will be out of the house.
Oh, definitely. I told her to communicate with them only when necessary.

The family was given on recommendation from her mom and I believe she has only had them come to her house twice in the last few months. She works from home, but does go into the office a couple days a week, I just don't know if they are typical or not.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Start cleaning your own home! I can't imagine all the "goodies" that an outsider might be sneaking about and checking out in my house. Sometimes crime isn't committed by those outsiders who were in your home. Sometimes the crime is a result of said outsider running their mouths to others about all the cool chit and valuable stuff the homeowner has. You gotta wonder what the cable guy is thinking when he sees that big ol' safe sitting off to the side or sees those expensive collectables in the curio cabinet or hanging on the walls.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Start cleaning your own home! I can't imagine all the "goodies" that an outsider might be sneaking about and checking out in my house. Sometimes crime isn't committed by those outsiders who were in your home. Sometimes the crime is a result of said outsider running their mouths to others about all the cool chit and valuable stuff the homeowner has. You gotta wonder what the cable guy is thinking when he sees that big ol' safe sitting off to the side or sees those expensive collectables in the curio cabinet or hanging on the walls.
Everyone has their reasons, but I agree. I don't like letting outside people inside my home unless necessary. People do talk.

I keep all of my blinds closed all of the time as well. Most of my neighbors refer to my house as Fort Knox. I don't know why, I just have an alarm, keep my doors locked, and blinds down. I don't think that's too out of the ordinary? I have things and I want to keep my things.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone has their reasons, but I agree. I don't like letting outside people inside my home unless necessary. People do talk.

I keep all of my blinds closed all of the time as well. Most of my neighbors refer to my house as Fort Knox. I don't know why, I just have an alarm, keep my doors locked, and blinds down. I don't think that's too out of the ordinary? I have things and I want to keep my things.
You forgot to mention your 50 cameras LOL

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't leave any doors unlocked at any time, even during the day and even garage outhouse doors. Any entry point is a risk of eiher entry to the home or wait and ambush. An unlocked door is an entry point and someone can easily come onto the proeprty without you noticing.

Also, don't leave keys in the doors. It's far too easy to beeak the glass, reach in and turn the key. Keys can be kept close by and out of sight if convenience is needed but should never be within sight or easy reach of the door. eg I know someone in the day who keeps the key out of sight on a hook several feet to the side of the door which is out of sight and reach to anyone outside. A cupboard unit next to a door is also a good option. Both easy to get to but prevent anyone reaching in. At night, they take the key up to bed with them.

Boethius

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm saying this because no one else has.

OP I know you're trying to help your friend. I would be too, but in the process, you may be (potentially) hurting her.

The images you posted, while you have removed the easiest identifiers, are still PLENTY to track her down by anyone viewing this thread.

There are ways to use computer vision to match google Earth/maps/other satellite imagery datasets and find the match based on your providing pixel by pixel copies of large sections of the house and surrounding area.

Luckily I am not a predator, because at this point I know...

1) The house and address beyond any shadow of a doubt as to where this 5'0 woman, with 2 children over the age of 5 (given your advice to make sure they are aware of who is/isn't supposed to be there), is living alone and uses garage to park car in most nights.
2) The configuration of any security / cameras
3) No 2nd story window sensors/some first story windows, 15ft trees for cover
4) Likely in Indiana, relatively far from major city, makes it even easier to cross-compare these images to find exact address, likely even a patient person without the tech skills could figure out eventually)
5) That there is a 3rd party cleaning crew enters the house
6) There's a scapegoat / somebody already suspected of posing a threat.
7) Likely friends with you on FB, and you are in a group with the username shown in the screenshots. That is enough information to find her on social media.

I'd recommend in a situation like this to just abstract the imagery. Either sketch it by hand or abstract via photoshop. Attached example.

Attachments

Reaction score
2.) if there is a garage door in play, ensure that little manual rope handle is removed or tie wrapped up securely. Very very easy to slightly bulge top of garage door inwards enough to fish/reach in and snag that rope handle and pop it with a coat hangar.
This never crossed my mind, and to be honest, I was a little skeptical so I tried it. Turns out I am a clueless, unsuspecting idiot.
I stood on a small step-ladder (which would have been no different than the height of a pickup bed or bumper of a car),
bent up the top seal, and was mortified that I could literally see the red cord hanging down. In fact, the door fit the opening
so poorly that I didn't even need to push on the top of the door, but, yes, there is a lot of slop/play involved with the door.
I stuck a wire fish pole (because we all have them) in there with a hook on the end, pulled the cord out (the cord
has a big, red plastic knob on the end that would not fit through the opening between the door and the top
of the garage - like that mattered) and popped the manual latch.

Needless to say the cord is now zip-tied to the adjusting holes in door arm. Thank you, Holbs!

Reaction score
This never crossed my mind, and to be honest, I was a little skeptical so I tried it. Turns out I am a clueless, unsuspecting idiot.
I stood on a small step-ladder (which would have been no different than the height of a pickup bed or bumper of a car),
bent up the top seal, and was mortified that I could literally see the red cord hanging down. In fact, the door fit the opening
so poorly that I didn't even need to push on the top of the door, but, yes, there is a lot of slop/play involved with the door.
I stuck a wire fish pole (because we all have them) in there with a hook on the end, pulled the cord out (the cord
has a big, red plastic knob on the end that would not fit through the opening between the door and the top
of the garage - like that mattered) and popped the manual latch.

Needless to say the cord is now zip-tied to the adjusting holes in door arm. Thank you, Holbs!
During my time with Da Tire Slasher, I went down the rabbit hole in regards to home defense and security. I had to. Waking 3-4 times throughout the night when the sound of a leaf blowing in the sphere of my house (I'm talking 11pm, 2am, 4am, etc) wa a small price to pay to save my $1000 tires and/or a home invasion. There are the simpler low cost methods of helping with that. The biggest relief was purchasing home security system with outdoor PIR's, using Dahua AI cameras, security lights, home assistant home automation to tie it all together and purchase of a couple firearms (shotgun + glock).
I google searched for weeks. Most helpful was home defense on reddit.