My first installl at home. Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Last year, while I was rewiring my home with Cat6 cable (I've had Cat5 cable installed since 1998!)... I ran Cat6 cables to strategic locations outside.

About a month ago I bought my first Hikvision camera, just to see how I liked it. I installed the camera in my "front door" location, under the eaves at the front of my house, looking diagonally.

IMG_20160508_111155.jpgIMG_20160508_111200.jpgIMG_20160508_112635.jpg

I also bought the matching Hikvision DS-1280ZJ-M junction box.

192.168.0.71_01_20160522075156731.jpg

I had to make a decision about where to locate the camera. Due to the way the eaves slope down, I get a restricted view of the front yard. I could have mounted the camera lower down, but I wanted it to remain "hidden" as much as possible.

I do have plans for a camera up on the TV antenna mast to give a better view of the front yard.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good install. I think 4mm would've been better.

Anyways, point the camera down a bit so you can't see the ceiling and right a bit so you can't see the closest wall. The night-vision will be drastically improved.

lunokhod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good install. I think 4mm would've been better.

Anyways, point the camera down a bit so you can't see the ceiling and right a bit so you can't see the closest wall. The night-vision will be drastically improved.
Yeah... that will help a lot.

The other problem that I am now noticing is that during bright sunny days, camera exposes correctly for the shaded area close to the house and makes the sunny part of the image to become very overexposed. I guess this can't really be resolved easily.

192.168.0.71_01_2016052215013591.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
lunokhod;101559a said:
The other problem that I am now noticing is that during bright sunny days, camera exposes correctly for the shaded area close to the house and makes the sunny part of the image to become very overexposed. I guess this can't really be resolved easily.
Apart from possibly bumping up the WDR I wouldn't tweak it too much to emphasize the lawn and possibly screw up the view close to the house. That's where you really want to see well. If possible, I set things to expose properly close to the cam and ignore the far away to a certain extent. You won't get a good ID at distance anyway so you're basically just wanting to know what happened. Axis cams can be set to prioritize a certain region for exposure so my front door cam adjusts properly for the front porch at the expense of the lawn. Sometimes a cam will do it anyway like yours is in that photo but at other times the uninteresting part gets prioritized at the expense of what you REALLY want to see.

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lunokhod, how does the night video look in that location, have a similar install idea soon to see a covered porch and the difference from full sun to shadow was problematic yesterday in testing.