My camera keeps going offline every couple of hours. What do I need to check?

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a fairly new PTZ5A4M-25X. It goes offline every couple of hours for a little over 2 minutes. I went into the Local logs and at those times it says Abort.
Time
2024-05-08 06:41:06
Type
Abort
Log Content
Time: 2024-05-08 06:39:16

What do you think is happening? Is there a setting I have set wrong? Has anyone ever experienced this before? I need to get this corrected. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How is it being powered? Sounds like it is not getting enough power.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have not done that yet. I will try one and see what happens. It could also be that I need to make new terminations on both ends of the cable and see. That is one thing I have been thinking of doing.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It’s almost always the power. Just because the overall advertised budget of a switch doesn’t mean 1 port can handle x amount of that.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It’s almost always the power. Just because the overall advertised budget of a switch doesn’t mean 1 port can handle x amount of that.
So, how do you find out if it is the power or not? My switch will supply up to 30W on each port.
This is my switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More than likely the cable or termination, especially if it previously had a camera there and some corrosion got in.

I have had ports go out on POE switches as well. You could try moving to a different port and see if that fixes it.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
From personal experience in the order of the most likely causes are:

• RJ45 improper termination
  • Damaged cable (tight bends)
  • IP conflict (Static Addressing)
  • POE port is failing, out of power, loose connection
  • Camera: Improper configuration, bad SD card, hardware failure.
  • Network: Firewall, Authentication, Switch port security, etc.

There are countless others possible reasons but always isolate the problem to help identify root cause.

When did this start, the frequency of the fault, is this seen on the LAN vs WiFi? What are the results of doing a continuous ping?

Are the times the same, increasing, timed out?

Running a live view from the camera web page does the system operate as expected over an extended period of time?!?

What do the logs say about the operational status of the camera? It will indicate a loss in connectivity or a cold boot (start up).

The switch if managed should indicate the power draw. What is it now and during the problem?

Go down the list and strike off everything once it’s been confirmed.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, how do you find out if it is the power or not? My switch will supply up to 30W on each port.
This is my switch.

“Actual PoE power budget is not guaranteed and will vary as a result of client limitations and environmental factors.”

how long of a run, type of cable? The switches I use for ptzs have a couple of 90 watt red ports in the bank. Used to have similar problems using both switches and injectors until I switched to these.

anotherone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
did you try a different port on the tp-link. try putting it into port 1 or 2.