MV Burglary Attempt

Reaction score
MV Burglary Attempt

Driveway alarm woke me at 4:10 a.m. See above video. Not on video: police attempted to stop suspect vehicle. This led to a pursuit. Suspect vehicle crashed on its way to the Interstate. One suspect in custody. Other got away. A third suspect was left behind. Later in the morning, someone stole a vehicle from a driveway a block away. I assume the left-behind suspect stole the vehicle to leave the area.

Camera: Dahua hdbw4431r-zs, with firmware that I assume it not authorized. Purchased from third-party seller on amazon.

Not sure, but I wonder if the suspect vehicle was attempting to blind the camera with brake lights.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on improving night video coverage of this area. I ordered a Bosch a 2MP 4000i to replace the Dahua, which is four years old and has a degraded dome. I am hoping it will provide slightly better night footage.

Reaction score
I wonder if the suspect vehicle was attempting to blind the camera with brake lights
Doubt it. They probably did not know you had a camera.

Dome cams are not good for outdoor use. They have problems with UV deteriorating the dome, dirt and water spots, and IR reflection issues.

Read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI.

Go with good Dahua prosumer cams that operate in color in low light, Like the 5442 turret or bullet cams. Add light to your outside. You need to work on your cams placement. Even if the cam was perfect and in daylight, this cam is too far away to get a face shot of that guy.

That Bosch cam is another dome. You will not get any better shots with that cam.

Reaction score
Doubt it. They probably did not know you had a camera.

Dome cams are not good for outdoor use. They have problems with UV deteriorating the dome, dirt and water spots, and IR reflection issues.

Read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI.

Go with good Dahua prosumer cams that operate in color in low light, Like the 5442 turret or bullet cams. Add light to your outside. You need to work on your cams placement. Even if the cam was perfect and in daylight, this cam is too far away to get a face shot of that guy.

That Bosch cam is another dome. You will not get any better shots with that cam.
Thanks. Appreciate it. Have read the Cliff Notes Doc. I am making compromises to not aggravate the neighbors or the Misses....LOL

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. Appreciate it. Have read the Cliff Notes Doc. I am making compromises to not aggravate the neighbors or the Misses....LOL
The neighbors will be more than happy when you beef up your security system. They will be asking you for video every time something happens. The misses is the one you have to worry about. My misses finally let me do as i please with the security system now that she sees how much they give her peace of mind. Good luck with your rebuild.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You could go my route:

• 5442 for critical area (like our cars)
  • cheaper 2431's for our doors (which have porch lights)

It would result in fantastic night color footage at a reasonable cost.

I might share the break-in footage of my car too. Garbage black and white footage which brought me here.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You could go my route:

• 5442 for critical area (like our cars)
  • cheaper 2431's for our doors (which have porch lights)

It would result in fantastic night color footage at a reasonable cost.

I might share the break-in footage of my car too. Garbage black and white footage which brought me here.
Please share, it would be nice to see the difference.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
MV Burglary Attempt

Driveway alarm woke me at 4:10 a.m. See above video. Not on video: police attempted to stop suspect vehicle. This led to a pursuit. Suspect vehicle crashed on its way to the Interstate. One suspect in custody. Other got away. A third suspect was left behind. Later in the morning, someone stole a vehicle from a driveway a block away. I assume the left-behind suspect stole the vehicle to leave the area.

Camera: Dahua hdbw4431r-zs, with firmware that I assume it not authorized. Purchased from third-party seller on amazon.

Not sure, but I wonder if the suspect vehicle was attempting to blind the camera with brake lights.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on improving night video coverage of this area. I ordered a Bosch a 2MP 4000i to replace the Dahua, which is four years old and has a degraded dome. I am hoping it will provide slightly better night footage.
Send the Bosh back, it has a crappy sensor for night vision. Read the WIKI. There are a bunch of better Dahua cams that will outperform that Bosh at night.