Murphy's Law

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bababouy i agree with you on that but unfortunately laws aren't always based on common sense. PA where i live have probably the strictest wiretap laws in the country. I wouldn't even trust recording in my home due to it picking up a cellphone call.

@00Buck if you live in a secluded area with no sidewalk traffic i agree.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
What are you covering yourself from? Lawsuit? You are the only one that knows that audio is being recorded and the only place or time that you may have a problem is if the video is used in court, which you would just not include audio in the video that you provide to the detective. Same with video. You can record video of anything. You just might not be able to use it in court. I am sure that if you captured a conversation outside of your house, of two people talking about murdering someone, then the two people went and murdered that person, you would not be in trouble from the law. Putting up signs just reminds everyone to cover their faces and bring something to vandalize your cameras when they break into your car or house.
They might do that anyways when they see all the cameras on the house anyways, unless you guys install all spy cams...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I just want to be sure I'm covered legally, the law is often not on the side of good and lawyers use everything they can against you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@bababouy
There's a thread here that goes into depth on audio recording, with different opinions:
Too much IR
Here's a thread about the police asking for recorded footage, and the user was recording audio, and so members share opionions on audio legality and practicallity, using an actual "multiple shots fired" event...
The police want a copy of Dahua hard drive to investigate B&E

What are you covering yourself from? Lawsuit? You are the only one that knows that audio is being recorded and the only place or time that you may have a problem is if the video is used in court, which you would just not include audio in the video that you provide to the detective.
I was thinking along those lines when deciding on signs. I read a story where the neighbors weren't getting along. Up goes a camera. Neighbor sues. NVR owner served papers, along with requirement to turn over recordings.

At this point, scrubbing audio is in violation of the court order. Akin to tampering with evidence? (I'm not a lawyer, lol)

Audio recording: If provided voluntarily, that's one thing. If you're charged of improperly recording a conversation (neighbor, disgruntled neighbor), that's another kettle of fish....

Murky water....