Multiple time lapse with PTZ

Reaction score
Is it possible to simultaneously do multiple time lapse videos with a PTZ camera? ie Have the ptz cycle through selected preset positions, taking a snapshot at each preset. It may need a certain amount of time to focus before taking the snapshot and moving to the next preset.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can right-click on existing camera, select "add a new camera", then "copy from another camera" (choose the PTZ), set up time lapse, presets, etc. as desired for the new camera; you can perform this "cloning" process many, many times; I'm not aware of a limit except perhaps BI's total cam limit of all types (64 total for the full, non-demo version, I believe).

You should change the "camera name" to differentiate between cams; make the second clone "PTZ2", the third "PTZ3" or your choice as long as each camera name is unique.

This should not affect bandwidth as only 1 stream from the original PTZ is brought into BI.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can right-click on existing camera, select "add a new camera", then "copy from another camera" (choose the PTZ), set up time lapse, presets, etc. as desired for the new camera; you can perform this "cloning" process many, many times; I'm not aware of a limit except perhaps BI's total cam limit of all types (64 total for the full, non-demo version, I believe).

You should change the "camera name" to differentiate between cams; make the second clone "PTZ2", the third "PTZ3" or your choice as long as each camera name is unique.

This should not affect bandwidth as only 1 stream from the original PTZ is brought into BI.
So then somehow each cloned camera can be timed to take turns moving to it's preset and taking a snapshot at the correct time?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to simultaneously do multiple time lapse videos with a PTZ camera?
So then somehow each cloned camera can be timed to take turns moving to it's preset and taking a snapshot at the correct time?
Time lapse or snapshot?

I know it's possible to have a trigger (like motion) move a PTZ to a preset and do a snapshot or video but I'm not sure how to do so at a specific time (having not done that). Perhaps someone else can advise.

Reaction score
Time lapse or snapshot?

I know it's possible to have a trigger (like motion) move a PTZ to a preset and do a snapshot or video but I'm not sure how to do so at a specific time (having not done that). Perhaps someone else can advise.
Is a time lapse not just a sequence of snapshots/pictures assembled into a video?

I want to use a PTZ to take multiple time lapses simultaneously. Instead of using 3 or 4 individual cameras I want the PTZ camera to move to different presets as BI saves pictures at each preset. Then each preset's pictures are compiled into it's own time lapse (either by BI or myself).

Goto preset 1, wait X seconds for focus, save snapshot to folder1
Goto preset 2, wait X seconds for focus, save snapshot to folder2
Goto preset 3, wait X seconds for focus, save snapshot to folder3
Goto preset 4, wait X seconds for focus, save snapshot to folder4
repeat

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is a time lapse not just a sequence of snapshots/pictures assembled into a video?
Yes, but BI will do either, video or snapshot, the setting for how often and for how long to record the video determine the time lapse.

I want to use a PTZ to take multiple time lapses simultaneously. Instead of using 3 or 4 individual cameras I want the PTZ camera to move to different presets as BI saves pictures at each preset.
I understand that you have ONE camera but since the presets and folders to place the video in are different you'll have to fool BI into thinking it is 3 or 4 cameras by cloning the original.

BTW: BI has excellent built-in "help": go to "camera properties", "record" tab and click on the "Help" button lower right of that window. :headbang:

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take another look. I guess my main question was, is it possible to coordinate the timing on all the clones so that they don't interfere with each other? What's the finest resolution possible for triggering the ptz preset & snapshot?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess my main question was, is it possible to coordinate the timing on all the clones so that they don't interfere with each other?
I think it will be up to you to insure there's no overlap.

What's the finest resolution possible for triggering the ptz preset & snapshot?
I see under "periodic", as low as length of .01 minutes for .1 second.

Just jump in and try some settings, as you know nothing will break...the best teacher is hands-on. Maybe then you can tell us how you did it!