Multiple Remote Locations, Cameras and BlueIris

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 remote locations with 1-3 cameras each and a BI server at a 4th location. None of the remote locations have a decent router. Would I be able to use a couple of these cheap travel routers to setup Site-to-Site VPNs to my remote locations for the purpose of recording? What kind of performance should I expect?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi !

Before going any further, check that its not CGNAT CarrierGradeNetworkAdressTranslation so you not getting a public ip.

Ubiquiti Unifi is simple to work with doing VPN very nice.
If you set up different subnets on each place then just set these cameras in BlueIris with the right ipadress incl subnet.
Just works !

Just remember that you need a stable connection at each location and flatrate, it will be much data summarized each month since the motiondetect is done in BI its a constant stream.

Brgds TheSwede

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Performance with those will be horrible

Whats the WAN Speed? I think you might find a better solution is just get three NVR's

PFSENSE Running on some old used PC's would be a better idea

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
I like Ubiquiti too but the people at the remote locations are price sensitive. It isn't carrier NAT.

I think each site has a minimum of 10mbits up.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually bought one of the, but it was the yellow MT300n model. It has been a while back.
I used it while traveling both in hotels and cruise line.
It works to get back to my PfSense router pretty well, just don't expect blazing speed, or perfect performance.
It will run Open VPN client good enough to log into my BlueIris.

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually bought one of the, but it was the yellow MT300n model. It has been a while back.
I used it while traveling both in hotels and cruise line.
It works to get back to my PfSense router pretty well, just don't expect blazing speed, or perfect performance.
It will run Open VPN client good enough to log into my BlueIris.
I'm hoping it's good enough for the remote sites and I'll get something better for myself. Maybe one of these

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's good enough for the remote sites and I'll get something better for myself. Maybe one of these
I would look more for something like an ASUS router to run open VPN server on, then use something with open
VPN client to connect back to the asus router.

The GLinet should connect back to the ASUS router, but for reliability I would bit the bullet and get an ASUS router for each end.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Reaction score
I'd try to find another option, you will pretty quickly fill that upload pipe at each location, even assuming you have no other use for the connection. I have 3 cameras at very low FPS and it maxes out my remote site 3Mbps upload speed. Is there no one actually at these remote sites so the internet is 100% yours to consume?

I record only over WAN out of convenience but plan to remedy by adding a Blue Iris onsite that can record at 15FPS in case video is ever needed. I'll keep the 1-2 FPS stream recording locally in case the whole house burns down or remote BI computer gets stolen, I'd still have something that might be useful.

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that I'll have other uses for the Fortinet so don't mind getting one for myself. The little old ladies at each of those remote locations barely generate any Internet traffic so the pipe is mostly mine. The question really is if those GL.iNet devices are good enough (performance/reliability) to handle the remote VPNs.

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would go for a more know brand, for example the TP-LINK TL-R600VPN router, in Belgium for around 60€.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would still go for/push the Unifi track.
Been using it like this for a couple of years and learned a bit of it.
The USG 3 is not that expensive about 140 US$ and the good thing is that you manage them from a central point, the controller that can be at the Blue Iris pc.
Also use a managed switch with POE to power the cameras, this will give you the possibility to restart the cams if they hangs.

If the cameras is not POE, use a POE adapter (Poe-->12v) instead of the wallwart to power them.

Brgds TheSwede

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also if you have such low upload you can use 1 or 2 FPS per camera as it reduces the data a lot, still much better than not be able to see anything !

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
They're all POE and if I didn't already have a switch, those pre-owned Fortinets with the POE ports would have been a no-brainer. I think that I'll look for something more stable than the devices I listed above but I'm still going to look for something under $100.

Thanks all.

Corbeaux

n3wb
Reaction score
B&H had those Ubiquiti Edge Routers for $60 so I'm going with those.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be aware that Edgerouter is not "Unifi" with centralized management.
You have to fiddle at site with that router, just for knowledge.

But better hardware/througput than USG3.

TheSwede