Multiple 8 Channel NVRs vs 1 32 Channel NVR. ( Or go for a higher spec altogether).

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so I put my toe in the water with an exploratory NVR5208-EI.
I am happy with it, but it quickly became apparent I will need a lot more channels.
My cameras will combine the better-respected cameras on this forum, so I expect about 60% of the channels will be 4K.
(I want to use DAHUA off-the-shelf products and don't want to use BI now).

An NVR5232-EI probably has sufficient channels NVR5232-EI but still only comes with the computational power of the 8-channel. (AI by recorder).
(Multiple facial recognition channels may be important to the future me).

1. I want to trigger up to 4 PTZs from many more various spotter cams. Am I limited to combinations of spotter and PTZ that reside on the same NVR? Or, through Smart PSS, can I set up an inter-NVR relationship? In other words, does a 32-channel NVR overcome this limitation?

2. Presumably, if I want to view all cameras at a remote screen in my house, I would need an HDMI cable per NVR to that screen. Again making the 32-channel option the winner?

3. Multiple 8 or 16-channel NVRs will give me more AI by recorder and far more storage than a single 32-channel of the same series, but at a higher cost.
I haven't looked into a superior NVR series yet. Is there a Dahua option out there that will give me the channels, bandwidth, storage and AI by the recorder that is more cost-effective?
I'd instead buy once, cry once.

Please feel free to add thoughts, comments and suggestions.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
1- no, only limit is number of channels. You can have multiple PTZs with multiple Spotter cams on a single NVR

2- Not sure on this but in theory yes

3- I havent priced out the top of the line XI NVR series, I'm guessing very pricey. But the real limitation on AI by NVR is the processing power needed.
There are a number of Dahua cameras that do face Recognition, perhaps not rely solely on the NVR for your AI needs...? Other than Face Recognition and ANPR, most cameras do all of the other AI functions themselves
NVR608RH-32-XI - Dahua Technology
IPC-HFW7842H-Z-X - Dahua Technology

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am unsure if I came across clearly enough on my first query point.
I know you can have multiple PTZs and multiple spotter cams on a single NVR.
My query was can I have a spotter cam only on NVR1 that triggers a PTZ only on NVR2 if they are on the same network?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmmm I see

i don’t think so. The activation is enabled under AI parameters on the NVR by channel so the ptz and spotter would have to be able to see each other on that NVR I think.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hmmmm I see

i don’t think so. The activation is enabled under AI parameters on the NVR by channel so the ptz and spotter would have to be able to see each other on that NVR I think.
Alternatively, can a single camera be assigned to more than 1 NVR?
In other words, could a PTZ and the associated spotter cams actually be on the same NVR, but that same PTZ's stream be viewable from a different NVR?
Assuming the PTZ feeds are where the action is, then I could collect PTZ streams from various NVRs on a single visual feed from 1 NVR.
Surely, priority streams are a feature that security companies have sought before now?

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, that would work.
So a 32-channel NVR would allow me multiple spotter/PTZ combinations. I could then assign all my PTZ streams (sans spotters) to my existing 8-channel and distribute this HDMI cable to remote screens.
The PTZ NVR would be a de-cluttered visual summary of events.
Yes, I think this suit my needs, thanks.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
AI functions by NVR are much worse that AI functions done by IPC.
Event latest EI-series recorders have only very old SMD-Plus (2th generation) which works on sub stream.
On latest cameras You have SMD 4.0 (5th generation of SMD), which works on higher resolution that sub stream and have much better detection rate (with full support for small/big animals).

EI series have very limited AI capabilities. Previous I/L series had higher limits - maybe You can find somewhere 5x32-I/L for good money.
Also new 6xx series have much higher limits (32 channels SMD, 24 channels).
But in all cases face detection/recognition is limited to max 4 Channels.

If You buying a new system - You will be have cams which have AI SMD/IVS on IPC. No need of AI processing on NVR.
In case a new 5xxx WizMind-S cameras in combination with EI NVR You have another interesting feature - AcuPick. You can select any person/vehicle from any footage from any cam and NVR will find the same looking person/vehicle on footage from all WizMind-S cams.. In this case AI processing is halved between IPCs and NVR..

For face detection/recognition on many (>4) cams - You must use something external. Like double-take (frigate with double-take)..

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^^
Agree

1- no, only limit is number of channels. You can have multiple PTZs with multiple Spotter cams on a single NVR

2- Not sure on this but in theory yes

3- I havent priced out the top of the line XI NVR series, I'm guessing very pricey. But the real limitation on AI by NVR is the processing power needed.
There are a number of Dahua cameras that do face Recognition, perhaps not rely solely on the NVR for your AI needs...? Other than Face Recognition and ANPR, most cameras do all of the other AI functions themselves

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The broad plan would be to:
Use the internal camera SMD AI of the spotter cams to trigger various PTZs to move around on a 32-channel NVR.
It would appear that my intended spotter cameras have this capability.
I presume the control of PTZ cameras from this distributed on-cam AI would invoke the NVR's AI.
That would be my minimum AI NVR requirement.

So the big question is: Do I have enough NVR AI to control 8 PTZs from 24 spotter cams with a 5x32 EI NVR?
If I can do this, any surplus AI would be a bonus.
Where do I see this limitation described in the NVR specs?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So the big question is: Do I have enough NVR AI to control 8 PTZs from 24 spotter cams with a 5x32 EI NVR?
If I can do this, any surplus AI would be a bonus.
Where do I see this limitation described in the NVR specs?
you don’t need any local AI processing on NVR. All
AI is done on IPCs. NVR works only as messenger between IPCs and their AI

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you don’t need any local AI processing on NVR. All
AI is done on IPCs. NVR works only as messenger between IPCs and their AI
For clarification, I take this to mean I can control 8 PTZs from 24 spotter cams with a 5x32 EI NVR?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For clarification, I take this to mean I can control 8 PTZs from 24 spotter cams with a 5x32 EI NVR?
No one give You 100% guaranty for this (no one here have system like that and NVR can have sometimes strange internal limits which are not on specification).
But yes - You should control 8 PTZ from 24 spotter cams with 5x32 EI. This is not using local AI processing on NVR.

But for that big and not cheap system (and fact that You want use 32 cams - so at max limit of EI series) You should look at higher line of NVR - new 6xx-XI... It has much higher limits for everything - bandwidth, decoding, AI local processing etc. And You can buy 64/128 cameras version - to have space to grow...

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No one give You 100% guaranty for this (no one here have system like that and NVR can have sometimes strange internal limits which are not on specification).
But yes - You should control 8 PTZ from 24 spotter cams with 5x32 EI. This is not using local AI processing on NVR.

But for that big and not cheap system (and fact that You want use 32 cams - so at max limit of EI series) You should look at higher line of NVR - new 6xx-XI... It has much higher limits for everything - bandwidth, decoding, AI local processing etc. And You can buy 64/128 cameras version - to have space to grow...

Thanks, you have helped me a lot in my understanding of a system.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

If he's going to have several (he mentioned 60% of 32 channels) being 4K, you will need a system able to handle the bitrate. And remember that the max bitrate listed for an NVR is just that, that absolute max. I wouldn't bring it over 60% so you're not overloading the system.

Phil.g00

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If he's going to have several (he mentioned 60% of 32 channels) being 4K, you will need a system able to handle the bitrate. And remember that the max bitrate listed for an NVR is just that, that absolute max. I wouldn't bring it over 60% so you're not overloading the system.
Thanks, I know that, but I don't have a feel for it.
It would seem that the older 80Mbps NVRs max out at about three 4 K cameras in terms of bandwidth.
The new EI NVRs are 384Mbps max, so I'll still push the envelope with a 32-channel NVR.
Even though I will have 60% of 4K cameras (as spotters), I can use reduced bit and frame rates as the detailed captures will be limited to the PTZs.
This way, if there is one, I hope to overcome a bandwidth limitation.