Moved from Blueiris to Scrypted NVR.

iGagy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve been a Blueiris user for about the past 5 years and it served me well. I was running it on a Dell precision I7 with an Nvidia card to leverage Code project AI and this really helped removing false detections.
I was also using the Homeassistant BlueIris integration to manage geofences, alerts, profiles, and use motion triggers via Mqtt in my automations.

I first want to start by saying, I’m not trying to convince anyone to move, but wanted to share the info if it can help others wondering.
Now there is not as much configuration options as Blueiris yet and the hardware I have chosen might not be for everyone, but it’s good enough for my personal home use.

Blueiris is really great and offers a lot of customization, but scripted NVR allowed me to get a smaller footprint meeting the needs I had.

For the past year I have been running scripted.app as an HA addon on top of using BI for my NVR. The free version allows to convert the feed of any cameras to HKSV so available to homekit.
This gave me on top of Blueiris the homekit integration with live feed, object detection stored in iCloud and Picture in picture notification on my Apple TV’s when something is detected.

My house was struck by lightning a few weeks ago so most of my IoT died including my BI server (HDD and backup storage). So starting from scratch I decided to try and get my NVR on a smaller device so it will run longer on my UPS.
Before replacing my BI server I decided to try out the paid version of scripted (scripted NVR).

This can run on multiple OS (Linux, Mac, Windows) See attatched picture for more info on hardware.
___
So currently running this on a small Beelink mini PC from amazon.
N100, 16Gig of ram and with a USB3 8TB WD purple drive. (So really cheap on power). I have the option to add a Coral card if I need to but currently running smoothly as is.
I’m using 6 Dahua poe cameras I already add (bought from our great Empiretech Andy).

Object detection is working great and fast and UI is awesome.
It also has an HA integration where we can view camera feeds, access the NVR from cards directly and manage it.
You can also generate and export time-lapse videos of the recordings.

There is a super active community on Discord and the developer is super great in replying and helping.

I included a few picture to show what it looks like.
Hope it can help someone.

Attachments

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hope they release the linux version soon.

have everyrhing here, coral m2, n100 mini pc, but no release , everyone waiting

koush

Scyrpted Dev
Reaction score
hope they release the linux version soon.

have everyrhing here, coral m2, n100 mini pc, but no release , everyone waiting
Hey, Scrypted dev here. The linux version that is unreleased is the Desktop version. I highly recommend using the existing Docker install, as that's much better for performance on the N100.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey, Scrypted dev here. The linux version that is unreleased is the Desktop version. I highly recommend using the existing Docker install, as that's much better for performance on the N100.
We were talking about codeproject AI. There is no coral support , only for raspberry pi.

Scrypted has coral support.

hayrone

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been interested in trying out Scrypted DVR but the $10/camera and only 4 cameras is my limitation. For lots of us running Blue Iris, we likely have way more than 4 cameras due to the 64-camera limit. I personally have 9 cameras (mixture of indoor and outdoor) at the moment and that will likely expand to 12 or so by the end of the year.

Any plans to allow for more cameras at the base level?

koush

Scyrpted Dev
Reaction score
I've been interested in trying out Scrypted DVR but the $10/camera and only 4 cameras is my limitation. For lots of us running Blue Iris, we likely have way more than 4 cameras due to the 64-camera limit. I personally have 9 cameras (mixture of indoor and outdoor) at the moment and that will likely expand to 12 or so by the end of the year.

Any plans to allow for more cameras at the base level?
I've do not plan to change the pricing.

For what it's worth, I personally think that a straight price comparison is misleading. Scrypted NVR has dramatically lower hardware (and power) requirements: a $180 N100 can run 9 cameras with object detection. You'd need significantly more horsepower system ($$$) on other NVR products for their AI processing.

Demo:

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
scrypted nvr is way to expensive for most "hardcore" users.

running 16 cameras would be 160USD/year

I would prefer a lifetime license without limits at price level of a normal NVR from dahua. Buying hardware will add cost to the license.

hayrone

n3wb
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I personally think that a straight price comparison is misleading. Scrypted NVR has dramatically lower hardware (and power) requirements: a $180 N100 can run 9 cameras with object detection. You'd need significantly more horsepower system ($$$) on other NVR products for their AI processing.

Demo:
Noted. It looks like a cool product but I think it's priced out for my use and possibly others. We already have the computers and cameras, so I think my comparison is accurate. Frankly, my use case is simply to get rid of Windows and put it on a docker somewhere. I actually run my system of 9 cameras on an HP mini-pc and it has tons of headroom. I primarily use onvif triggered events but will eventually ship it off to Frigate or hope that Code AI can use my Coral USB accelerator at some point soon.

Good luck and competition is good, I was just hoping that pricing might come more in line with Blue Iris (i.e. 12 cameras for $40/year, 4 additional for extra $10).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Demo:
This is false. You can run many than 9 cameras (though the number of cameras is irrelevant, it depends on the resolution and what stream you are using for the ai processing) with blue iris and codeproject ai on a 120 dollar i5-8500 desktop. You can do this on the n100 as well (if you dont mind the china made bios). Not to mention the n100 does not have room for adequate internal storage for most applications.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
scrypted nvr is way to expensive for most "hardcore" users.

running 16 cameras would be 160USD/year

I would prefer a lifetime license without limits at price level of a normal NVR from dahua. Buying hardware will add cost to the license.
Its not the scypted is expensive. 10 dollar a camera per year is not expensive in this industry. Blue iris is just much cheaper and provides more functionality.

lane777smith

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i personally switched from Blue Iris to Scrypted NVR because of the better user interface and far better iOS app. I like where it's going technically and aesthetically. If BI was the Android of NVR software, Scrypted would be the Apple. Only my opinion though.

hayrone

n3wb
Reaction score
i personally switched from Blue Iris to Scrypted NVR because of the better user interface and far better iOS app. I like where it's going technically and aesthetically. If BI was the Android of NVR software, Scrypted would be the Apple. Only my opinion though.
How many cameras are you running on what hardware?

iGagy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently running 6 Doha Cameras mostly 5442t-ze. So not much but here is what you see hardware recommended for amount of cameras 1691604496973.png

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Codeporject ai supports Coral on windows. It came into beta a few weeks ago. I have the pci express version of the coral and its been working flawlessly.
It wont work right if you have a hypervisor setup