Mounting Hikvision cameras

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im planning on building a new house.

I want to use Hikvision POE cameras, and I will have both the dome version as well as the regular camera version,

How are the bases of these set up? Would any certain electrical box be good for mounting them?

THANKS

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I will have both the dome version as well as the regular camera version
If by this you mean a bullet format and the dome format - neither are optimum, for various reasons, as you'd discover when reading the results of searching the forum.
The consensus across the board is that the turret ('eyeball') format is best overall.
I for one swapped out my bullets and domes for turrets a few years ago.

As for the bases - this is totally dependant on whether you are mounting to a wall, soffit, vertical or horizontal, so impossible to give you a simple answer without more detail.

What you will find in abundance on the forum though, are many sample images of methods of mounting, along with reasoning and explanation.

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will look at the turrets... which model is the one you use?

Most will be on Ceilings, but I think there will be 4 or 6 on Soffits. Since its a new build, I can add whatever is needed for optimal mounting.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there are a number of threads on camera placement.
If you park in the driveway two cameras on the garage, right and left side. No higher than the top of the garage, need for door checkers.
Front and back door cameras mounted at 6 feet. Need to get good face pictures. Soffit cameras show what happened but not wo did it.
Run two cat 6 ethernet cables to each location for future expansion.
You will need good night vision cameras. I have not used them but hikvision darkfighter. Also look at the Dahua starlight

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you park in the driveway two cameras on the garage, right and left side. No higher than the top of the garage, need for door checkers.
Front and back door cameras mounted at 6 feet. Need to get good face pictures. Soffit cameras show what happened but not wo did it.
You will need good night vision cameras. I have not used them but hikvision darkfighter. Also look at the Dahua starlight
Mount at 6 feet?? What if the guy is 6,5 or even 6,8 ? Lol

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you park in the driveway two cameras on the garage, right and left side. No higher than the top of the garage, need for door chFront and back door cameras mounted at 6 feet. Need to get good face pictures. Soffit cameras show what happened but not wo did it.

Placement isnt really my issue. Im trying to figure out the best and most secure way to mount the cameras? A standard one or two gang box? I round box?

I can put in whatever I want to and I want to not have to just settle for "it works OK". I have one chance to get it set up the best way before the drywall, etc...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Placement is the most important when running cable. If placement is done correctly all cameras are covered by another camera. There is very little need for " secure mounting".

Read study plan.

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Placement is the most important when running cable. If placement is done correctly all cameras are covered by another camera. There is very little need for " secure mounting".

Read study plan.

Im not looking to make the cameras Ft Knox sturdy..... just want to have a secure install so that I dont have it coming loose years later. If I knew what size box worked best, I can plan on putting them in everywhere I am putting a camera. I hope the camera base conceals the full size of the box.