Mounting 5231 series inside the wall?

Reaction score
After my latest tire slashing event a couple weeks ago, I am re-evaluating my non-tactical stupid/silly existing camera placement. I have already taken down my varifocal 5231 turrets from their initial 20' high overwatch positions. They will be repurposed as dedicated 4'-6' high off the ground, near maxed zoomed in for facial ID. 2 will catch both sides of my 2 lane driveway. My first thought was to simply mount them as usual directly to the outside stucco wall. My LPR camera arrived last week (been working on digging trench/pvc conduit, and running Cat6 out there) and been thinking of ways to disguise/camouflage the LPR camera which gave me a possibly super stupid idea in regards to my driveway 5231's. I have the option to actually mount the camera inside of the garage wall behind the stucco so that I would only have to cut out a rectangular slot for the lends/IR. Could construct a little hatch on the inside garage drywall to give access via those plumbing hatches you see for bathrooms. This would require sealing the outside stucco cut out to the camera lens or something of that nature.
The only CON I could see would be that if I ever change out models or sell the house, I'll have to do a 1"x3" rectangular stucco patch work.
However, I see no one has done this type of camera installation. So..maybe I am missing something obvious :)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like one of my ideas that I end up regretting doing later. Have a few of those around here. Seemed good at the time. ; )

Make sure it's where you want it before you do it.

msquared

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Unless the lens face is flush with the outer surface, IR reflection? Possibly easier to attract insects?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If I were to do something like that I'd do it the way MrSurly did it in his mailbox camera project He made a round cutout for the flange of the lens/IR portion of the camera rather than just a 1x3 for the lens area. Simplifies mounting and weatherproofing at the same time. The thing is that you are stuck with elevation and azimuth either way and that's the big problem I would see for your setup.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What’s the reason to hide it in the first place? I want people to see mine. Acts as a passive deterrent.

Reaction score
If I were to do something like that I'd do it the way MrSurly did it in his mailbox camera project He made a round cutout for the flange of the lens/IR portion of the camera rather than just a 1x3 for the lens area. Simplifies mounting and weatherproofing at the same time. The thing is that you are stuck with elevation and azimuth either way and that's the big problem I would see for your setup.

ah. yes...there it is! I'll mount as usual because camera's do change year to year. Easier to patch with silicone a small Cat6 cable hole than a 1"x3" hole. thanks :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You could settle for hiding the cabling inside the garage and just drill through where you want the camera. Inside the camera just clip it neatly in a straight line, or hide it in some trunking. Plastic easiest, steel gives some room for painting it a similar colour to the brick. That keeps it neat and at a guess you'll have 3 small holes to fill in the stucco, should you ever sell the house - 1 for the wire and 2 for the camera / junction box mount. Easy fix. As an aside, in the UK at least, having cctv is a selling point so you could always leave that camera in place (save yoruself the hassle of the filling) and simply throw a cheap NVR on the end of it to sell it as a house with working system and wired for other cameras. Take the other cameras and BI machine with you. By the time you come to sell the house a few years down the line, that camera will probably have been outdated anyway. If it isn't switch it out with an old one!

Last edited: