Motorhome, RV cameras

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm currently touring Europe, I have spoken to a few people who have been unfortunate enough to have their vehicles broken into. Long story short, anyone have any suggestions as to a slim, battery WiFi camera I could mount discretely. I'm happy to recess it into the side of the van if I have to, something reasonable for a long term solution, I won't do that for a cheap Chinese camera and ruin my motorhome.

Any options, please let me know

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wi-Fi + battery does not equal a reasonably reliable combo for surveillance, IMO.

Many, if not most, IP cameras and HDCVI (analog) cameras operate on 12VDC which is very much available in your motorhome. The IP camera may also be fitted with a microSD card for recording.

If you should go that route I would install a regulator for the 12VDC if coming directly from the vehicle's 12VDC source (battery), as many charging systems can peak above 15VDC.

DC 12V Voltage Regulator DC 8V ~ 40V to 12V 3A 36W Converter- DC 36V 24V 18V to 12V Step Down Converter Regulator Waterproof Module Transformer

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What Tony said ^
Also consider idle power consumption; when vehicle/generator inverter isn’t running. I’d check the power specs of an hdcvi/dvr combo vs poe switch and cameras recording to sd cards.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 9 cameras and a 16 port POE on an APC UPS. It says the total load is 54 Watts.
I do not know the load on the NVR yet.

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've used cameras for years, I'm well aware of power etc, if I can't find anything wireless and battery I might end up with Poe. One cable and better all round.

I'm just trying to find a camera that doesn't look like a brick and can detect a person rather than just movement. I use a raspberry pi to control the van via home assistant and I can route my Rtsp feed through homeassistant, unfortunately it does not have the computing power to run blue iris or frigate etc. I did think about the cameras used on lorries instead of side mirrors, but I feel I'm over complicating the issue.

I might buy a eufy or similar and start disassembling that. I'll post pics if I do.

Reaction score
I had my Class A motorhome broken into last September at your storage yard. They did about $1600 of damage and $2500 of theft. Luckiy the theft only had $100 deductible, but I had to eat the damage costs, higher deductible.

Do you plug in at the campgrounds? Do you desire remote camera access and notification from the cam of anything they pick up?

I am plugged in at our storage yard so I have power. I use a cellular Wi-Fi hotspot on 24/7 for communication. I bought a couple of cams to test and decided on this arrangement.

Inside I have a Wyze V3 mounted above the driver's seat pointing at the door. Outside I have mounted two Wyze Battery Cam Pros on a 1x2 that is secured to an awning arm with Velcro so I can remove it during travel. I also bought an Amcrest IP2M-841B that I just place on the counter but it has been problematic.

The Wyze have been solid except for on night the V3 kept cycling with the hotspot. Then the next day was just fine. Here are some pics.
Outside Battery Cam Pro
IMG_6895.JPGIMG_6897.JPGIMG_6899.JPGIMG_7016.PNG

Inside V3
IMG_6575.JPGWCHS3976.JPG

Thought I had a pic of it mounted, but I do not. I will post one later today.

Reaction score
PS: The outside cams batteries are really good. They have been on since November on their first charge. Have 30% left as of this morning. They have never lost WIFI connection.

I bought the subscription so that I can access videos from their cloud. The SD card access is not that good. The cost was about $60 for all three cams for a year.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did think about the cameras used on lorries instead of side mirrors, but I feel I'm over complicating the issue.
And those are likely analog since delays from an IP camera would not be acceptable if used as a side mirror or backup camera.

Have a look also at the TP-LINK Tapo C-110 => TP-Link Tapo 2K Indoor Security Camera for Baby Monitor, Dog Camera w/ Motion Detection, 2-Way Audio Siren, Night Vision, Cloud & SD Card Storage(Up to 256 GB), Works w/ Alexa & Google Home(Tapo C110)

It will stream RTSP to Blue Iris or VLC, no cloud needed, Wi-Fi only, can record to SD card, available in white or black. Comes with a UL-listed 9VDC wall wart. Specs say it supports ONVIF.

Tapo-C110.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
I would think the first step would be a good alarm system with an ear piercing siren or two inside the camper.
I looked into that but decided against it since the real place my problem is at the storage yard after hours. No one there to hear it and I doubt that it would stop anyone. I prefer to be notified. I do have a door sensor now that sends me a notification when the door is opened.

Reaction score
Here is what the Wyze V3 looks like installed in my RV.

IMG_7304.JPGIMG_7305.JPGIMG_7306.JPGIMG_7307.JPG

Normally the windshield shade would be down but I am loading for a trip and had it up when I took these photos. It does faily well since the entry lights come on as the door is opened.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score